Power Steering Leaking! What's Next?

Trip3lead

Question

Thanks in advance guys... I tried two jugs of Lucas power steering stop leak, but of course it's still leaking. It appears that the leak is coming from the seal on the steering box.. The steering is fine and quiet (no hard spots) as long as it's filled with fluid, so I don't think it needs a new steering box. The parts store says they sell a steering box rebuild kit containing new seals, etc. My question is, can the steering box be rebuilt without removing it from the truck?

0 answers to this question

Shouldn't have to if you get the pitman arm back on exactly where it was prior.

I don't know what you have for miles, or what part of the country you live in, but I'd replace the pitman arm if your going to be removing it anyway. Kill 2 birds with one stone. In that case you'd need an alignment with the new component added. Where I live (MA), these roads here make shocks & front end components part of the regular maintenance schedule .... so if I were doing the job, I'd be replacing the pitman arm too. I'm at 40K on my 07 and the lower ball joints are smoked already. :fume:

the pitman arm does not have to come off and the input seal is in a kit from GM ,it has a bearing and seal,

get an alignment,cheaper than tires

better yet ,get someone else to do the job for you, dealing with steering components requires an unselfish act and is the responsible thing to do for everyone's sake .

get an estimate

doing that bearing and seal is not for a DIY 'er

After trying to put it off til spring.. (The wife was really squealing about the fluid stains everywhere) I ended up running it dry and cooking the power steering pump as well.. So I replaced the steering gear, the pump, the 3 lines, the belt and both tensioners. Rock Auto was a big help and saved me a bunch of money over the local parts stores.. Thanks for everyones input.. :(

No.

Where on the box is it leaking again? From the input or output shafts?

Excuse my ignorance on the proper names of these parts, but if you look down at the box from the drivers side fender, you can see it's all wet around the top seal and on the bolts right under it. It's where the steering column shaft goes into the top of the box. I hope that helps.. Thanks again for responding..

Excuse my ignorance on the proper names of these parts, but if you look down at the box from the drivers side fender, you can see it's all wet around the top seal and on the bolts right under it. It's where the steering column shaft goes into the top of the box. I hope that helps.. Thanks again for responding..

That describes too parts of the box.

Can you take and post a picture?

Like I said, I'm not that savy with explaining mechanical parts that I'm not familiar with.. The only part of the box I'm talking about is where the steering shaft enters the box.. The wet bolts that I'm talking about are immediately under that part of the steering box. Take a look at this pic and you can see where it's wet. Thanks again...

It looks as if your return hose is leaking more than anything else. I don't see an input shaft seal getting the

fluid over to the harnesses (at the top of the pic) by itself. If it is the input shaft seal, it can most likely be

done in the truck (if it was me) but at the most, would require removing the steering gear. A few special tools

would be required but it's not that bad of a job.

Looks like the input shaft seal & the return line for the power steering pump .... but could very well be entirely from the return line dripping down on everything. If so, that's an easy fix. A length of fuel line & some clamps & it's fixed. If it's the input shaft seal, I think you'd have an easier time removing the steering box to install it. If it's not pouring out of that & just weeping a little bit, if it were me I'd leave it.

Do not ever use fuel hose for power steering return. Power steering fluid will eat fuel hose and cause a bigger issue shortly down the road. Low pressure hydraulic return hose (used for p/s return and transmission line) is available for the application needed.

Thanks Man,

I agree!! I took a close look at the pic after posting it and noticed the wet return line above the steering shaft.. I'm hoping it could be that simple..

If it is the input shaft seal then I'll remove the box and replace the seal. It is leaking pretty good and needs to be addressed immediately. I'm refilling the reservoir weekly!!

One last thing if you will, if I do have to remove the steering box, will the front end need to be realigned after it's reassembled?

Thanks again...

An alignment wouldn't be required to just remove and reinstall the gear itself. Can't hurt to have

it checked if it hasn't been done in a while though.

post-82365-1290550641_thumb.jpg

That describes too parts of the box.

Can you take and post a picture?

Like I said, I'm not that savy with explaining mechanical parts that I'm not familiar with.. The only part of the box I'm talking about is where the steering shaft enters the box.. The wet bolts that I'm talking about are immediately under that part of the steering box. Take a look at this pic and you can see where it's wet. Thanks again...

Looks like the input shaft seal & the return line for the power steering pump .... but could very well be entirely from the return line dripping down on everything. If so, that's an easy fix. A length of fuel line & some clamps & it's fixed. If it's the input shaft seal, I think you'd have an easier time removing the steering box to install it. If it's not pouring out of that & just weeping a little bit, if it were me I'd leave it.

Thanks Man,

I agree!! I took a close look at the pic after posting it and noticed the wet return line above the steering shaft.. I'm hoping it could be that simple..

If it is the input shaft seal then I'll remove the box and replace the seal. It is leaking pretty good and needs to be addressed immediately. I'm refilling the reservoir weekly!!

One last thing if you will, if I do have to remove the steering box, will the front end need to be realigned after it's reassembled?

Thanks again...

Archived