Gas Mileage Savers

I've had my '06 GMC Sierra crew cab 4x4 since new. Gas mileage has always been pretty good, but I'd like to hear some improvement ideas something along the idea of bolt-ons etc. I'm sure this topic has been discussed over and over, thanks for any help.

Mike

i run the highest psi in the tires i can before there are wear issues, on my factory tires thats 45psi in the front and 38 in the rears... i try to drive so i don't have to use the brakes, i don't use cruise, i draft behind trucks, and i don't maintain constant speed I maintain throttle input within reason +/- 5mph.

Keep it below 70 while cruising. Tires properly inflated as already mentioned. One of the biggest free gas savings things I did was properly adjusting the front brakes...with the front jacked up the wheel should spin by hand freely, if there is major drag or it takes effort to rotate it your pads are sticking.

i run the highest psi in the tires i can before there are wear issues, on my factory tires thats 45psi in the front and 38 in the rears... i try to drive so i don't have to use the brakes, i don't use cruise, i draft behind trucks, and i don't maintain constant speed I maintain throttle input within reason +/- 5mph.

You don't use cruise? I drive to work everyday on a 55 mph mostly flat highway. I'm always trying to get the best mileage but it seems better when I use cruise. However when I get on a highway with big hills I'll take the cruise off so that I can loose a little speed going up and save gas.

On Mythbusters I think they also said that those mesh tailgates worked best to save gas because it is lighter but still directs the air in the same way the tailgate did....

Still not good for the bedsides of your truck. Wind vibrations will over time weaken them. The tailgate that comes on the truck is part of its structural integrity.

i've had as high as 20 mpg on the highway staying at 50mph in a 55 zone....keep in mind don't do it if its a busy highway but if your just out and about on a dead stretch of road it helps...also don't speed, the speed limits are ment for safety and fuel economy

Archived