I seem to have solved my oil burning problem

I got my truck from the dealer, and I don't know what they put in it for oil but but my trucked burned through 2 qts. in 3000 miles, and it was ticking. So I naturally thought I had a problem motor. So I figured I would gives AMSoil a shot, and I am ecstatic to report my truck has not burned a drop of oil and no longer ticks. I promise I am not some guy pushing the product, just a very satisfied customer trying to pass along a suggestion to my fellow 5.3 owners with an oil problem.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I run Amsoil in both my cars. I run it in my Malibu and it made it run alot smoother and a little better MPG. Also the Tahoe this winter didn't make any noise on cold start ups. Now I can run it to around 4000 miles between oil changes and have no issues at all.

what makes asms oil good . What is in it or how is it made . Is it marketing/precieved value that makes it good ?

Because they pride themselves on using the best base stocks and additives money can buy and they been doing that for 40 yrs. I been using AMSOIL for better than 25 yrs and would not use anything else. It made right in Superior, Wis.

Thats good to hear! Nothing is better than Amsoil! Look in my signature. Lol

I get the signature series that can go for one year or 25k miles if done properly, but I change it every 8k with a filter swap every 4k.

If you want to be helpful, tell us what you did. Did you flush the engine with a cleaner? Just change the oil/filter? If so, what weight did you use? How long many miles have you gone since you changed it out?

DEWFPO

what makes asms oil good . What is in it or how is it made . Is it marketing/precieved value that makes it good ?

Because they pride themselves on using the best base stocks and additives money can buy and they been doing that for 40 yrs. I been using AMSOIL for better than 25 yrs and would not use anything else. It made right in Superior, Wis.

I have no personal experience with Amsoil, but its NOACK volatility number is much lower than most other top tier oils. In other words it's less likely to burn off in high temp service. To meet the new SN requirments 5W-30 has to have a NOACK vol. of below 15%. I believe, Amsoil has always been in the single digits. It is simply better stuff than most.

On my next change I'm going to go to Pennzoil Ultra who according their website has now been dexos approved (warranty) and who is the only widely available and reasonably affordable (Wally World) syn whose NOACK numbers appear to be in Amsoil's neighborhood. (around 6.4% in 5W-30)

If the oil resists burn off it should help with the issues some guys are seeing.

http://www.pennzoil....c-oil/#Benefits

http://www.epc.shell...01112051449.pdf

alot of my fam uses amsoil...i myself like mobil products :dunno: but amsoil is damn good shit...i dought amsoil solved your oil burning problems though, if you burnt 2 quarts in 3k miles, you got bigger problems then a brand of oil

alot of my fam uses amsoil...i myself like mobil products :dunno: but amsoil is damn good shit...i dought amsoil solved your oil burning problems though, if you burnt 2 quarts in 3k miles, you got bigger problems then a brand of oil

+1, no oil is going to fix 2 quarts used in 3000 miles

t

+1, no oil is going to fix 2 quarts used in 3000 miles

I know it sounds crazy, I dont really understand it myself. It could have been crappy oil the dealer put in. Maybe it has nothing to do with AMSoil, maybe its just because I didnt use garbage oil in general. Yes the brand of oil does make a difference. My old truck did not burn a drop of oil and I put Castrol high mileage in it one oil change and it burned that stuff up like crazy, it actually made the "low oil light" I didnt know I had come on... I switched to something else and it stopped. All I know is when I checked my oil right before I changed it, it was down 2 quarts. And after 4000 miles on this stuff its not.

If you want to be helpful, tell us what you did. Did you flush the engine with a cleaner? Just change the oil/filter? If so, what weight did you use? How long many miles have you gone since you changed it out?

DEWFPO

I did not flush it out, just changed the oil with 5w30 and a regular old oil filter. And it has 4000 miles since I changed it.

i'm still calling bullshit on this, i know people that run the cheapest oil and filters they can find with no where near your amount of oil consumption, and they have over 100k on the ticker...

i'm still calling bullshit on this, i know people that run the cheapest oil and filters they can find with no where near your amount of oil consumption, and they have over 100k on the ticker...

True

Archived