Sign in to follow this  
rusty01

Headers, how much gain??

Decided to make a new thread about headers. So I am looking for ways to add some umph to my truck. I have seen that long tube headers can add low end torque and HP. Anyone run with these types of headers? What kind of power gains have you seen? Hooked to stock exhaust or full custom?

Edited by rusty01

I don't, so I can't answer directly. But... adding anything that changes the breathing pattern on a motor should be tuned afterwards. Otherwise, you're hurting more than helping... imho.

a tune isnt need for longtubes,but with a tune youll see even a bigger gain.If you do this setup longtubes,ORY=offroad ypipe,highflow cat or no cat with a spintech muffler dumped,and K&n filter without a tune you should see an easy 25hp to the wheels thats about 40hp to the flywheel and with a tune depending on which company tunes it 35hp to the flywheel maybe even more.Plus a TR220 cam you got yourself a fun truck.

• Like 1

if i already had the tune done, then add headers, will i need a retune?

if i already had the tune done, then add headers, will i need a retune?

Typically, yes. I am not one of those that thinks simply adding headers will give you noticable power gains, even with a tune afterwards. That would be sort of like "free horsepower". The difference in sound may make you feel like it is faster, but I am not a believer.

Headers alone should give you around 25-30 hp. I know a felt a pretty big difference once I got mine on and with a tune, it was night and day. HUGE upgrade right there.

So i wont feel a gain switching from these http://www.classicindustries.com/images/productimg/e/emsb12r.jpg to these

http://www.hawkinsspeedshop.com/exhaust-headers/images/401-911201pdynatech3.jpg... I noticed a night and day difference on my vortec 350 ATLEAST a 25hp+ gain before the custom tune.On another forum i also go on the same setup same motor without a tune put down 260hp and 324ftlbs.No i said get a tune because the stock one leaves a lot on the table,I wouldnt retune for headers.Now with that being said the LS motors have shorty headers stock pretty much so yes switching to short tube headers will not gain anything but longtubes def will.

Headers alone should give you around 25-30 hp. I know a felt a pretty big difference once I got mine on and with a tune, it was night and day. HUGE upgrade right there.

No way headers alone give you that much more HP, thats almost funny. On stock motors headers do nothing for HP and may hurt HP numbers. I guess because the exhaust is louder must mean instant HP increase. :lol: People need to stop reading the box the aftermarket parts come in. Hell if I went out and bought a performance air filter,headers exhaust, performance muffler, CAI I should see about another 200 HP according to the info on all the boxes I love when people put high flow cats on there exhaust, all cats are high flow from the factory where the vehicle is made..

Edited by Silverado4x4

No way headers alone give you that much more HP, thats almost funny. On stock motors headers do nothing for HP and may hurt HP numbers. I guess because the exhaust is louder must mean instant HP increase. :lol: People need to stop reading the box the aftermarket parts come in. Hell if I went out and bought a performance air filter,headers exhaust, performance muffler, CAI I should see about another 200 HP according to the info on all the boxes I love when people put high flow cats on there exhaust, all cats are high flow from the factory where the vehicle is made..

to each their own,i can back up post 100%.

Yeah none of that would matter since you would then need your truck tuned for the benefits....

I run a 13.55 in the qtr mile with those mods in my sig on 20's with 3:42's. Nahhhh, none of these mods help. Yall just keep saying that to yourself. :ughdance:

Edited by 11Silvy

I run a 13.55 in the qtr mile with those mods in my sig on 20's with 3:42's. Nahhhh, none of these mods help. Yall just keep saying that to yourself. :ughdance:

The OP was asking about long tube headers only. Are you getting that result with just long tube headers?

The OP was asking about long tube headers only. Are you getting that result with just long tube headers?

And so was I, but this thread got derailed. I am getting that result from the mods in my signature.

you should be happy running a 13.5 in that tank.My obs 2500 weighs 4650lbs without me in it.And BTW my results were on my trucks which is a 2000 OBS and a 99 5.3L.Im not sure how the NNBS react to longtubes.should have posted that before.

you should be happy running a 13.5 in that tank.My obs 2500 weighs 4650lbs without me in it.And BTW my results were on my trucks which is a 2000 OBS and a 99 5.3L.Im not sure how the NNBS react to longtubes.should have posted that before.

I'm pretty happy. I can beat alot of cars with that time and suprise the hell out of new 5.0 mustangs, camaros, whatever else that is around those low 13 high 12 sec speeds. If I drop a cam in it, I will be able to beat them. LS motors love to breathe and with the l92 (l9h engine) heads coupled to these headers, it really woke it up and that's pre-tune. The stock exhaust system wasn't restrictive, but three cats did slow it down some. ARH headers are piece of artwork.