What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

Got the truck back together last night. Had a small delay in finishing the job, had to order a new axle nut. Old one was definitely not reusable. Drove it to run a couple of errands last night & today. So quiet...ish. Bearing is quiet anyway. The rest of the sqeaks, rattles & tire road noise still there...but that's another day's work.

Got the truck back together last night. Had a small delay in finishing the job, had to order a new axle nut. Old one was definitely not reusable. Drove it to run a couple of errands last night & today. So quiet...ish. Bearing is quiet anyway. The rest of the sqeaks, rattles & tire road noise still there...but that's another day's work.

Bring it to VA and I'll help lol

I check mine before and during every trip. One of the reasons I bought that Viair compressor setup. One time I hauled a Toyota Tacoma up to the Quebec line in northern VT, stopped at a gas station, locked the pump handle (nice how other states give you that feature ... but few in MA do anymore), and did my routine walk-around. Right front axle low. Tried to run air hose from station through all the junk parked in the way - 10' too short. Had to leave .... get of next exit, wasted a half hour driving around and finding NOTHING .. so back on the highway. Next exit ... 10 miles before aa friggin station pops up. No air. Go past the highway the other direction. Another gas station, no air! Pissed off, I hopped back on the highway after wasting 2 hours. Surprised the tire lasted as long as it did - about an hour later the truck starts shaking violently - look in the mirror and I can see the trailer hopping around with rubber appearing out of the wheel well with every rotation. No tools, no spare, nothing! Dug into the Silverado's OEM jack kit that I had never used. Luckily the lug wrench just barely fit the trailer lugs. Wrestled with the jack for a half hour, shoveling sand down my shirt with every rotation, laying on my belly on the side of the highway, surrounded by dirty diapers, and piles of other trash. Finally up in the air , removed the lugs rest of the way, and burned the crap out of my hands trying to get the 200° tire off. WOW was that SOB hot!!

Tossed it in back of the truck, and drove the additional 50 miles north with the axle hanging. Luckily I have twin slippers with the big pivot in center, so the pivot was all the way up into the frame, and that's as far as it would go, so the hub was high enough off the road to not hit anything. Dropped the truck at the new owner's place, and headed 300+ miles south with just 3 wheels on the trailer! Made it back safe and sound.

Now I have onboard air, a spare, 4 brand new tires, & a pile of tools I carry on each trip. Probably will never need any of it again .. LOL. Lesson learned - be read for anything!

You didn't have any wood blocks with you? I don't think I've ever jacked up a tandem trailer.

I'm still considering an air compressor. Just not sure what unit and which tanks would be best. With everything I need it'd be pricey.

Edited by kstruckcountry

Nope, not a thing! Was in such a hurry to get the car strapped down, and get on the road and make money, that I ended up doing the job for free ... plus costing myself $550. :noway: Learned a valuable lesson that day, LOL. Actually learned that lesson 25 years ago, but I tend to forget when $$$ is dangled in front of my face. Learning to slow down a bit, but it's tough! :lol:

Oh, almost forgot to share today's adventure.

Finally put the clutch line in the '94 S10 plow truck. Was WAY too pissed off to take more than one pic. I was cursing GM loudly EVERY ONE of the 2 hours it took to fish this line through, unbolt the master, and install a new slave.

They BURY the friggin master WAY down on the firewall behind 500 BILLION wires in 5 different looms - can't even get one finger in there to grab the friggin nuts. THEN they put this stupid assed plastic insert on the pushrod where it meets the pedal - had to just about bust the thing in pieces to get the pushrod off. Then jam my air ratchet in between a bunch of brake lines, and finally get the 2 nuts off. That was just the master! Now I gotta get the slave out! In addition to that stupid assed push-pin retaining setup they engineered, they had to put a friggin crossmember right in front of the master .. and then angle the top bolt in the engine block so close to the control arm mount that you can't get a air gun in even with a swivel. 14mm box end by hand on that one, like I have all day to get rust in my eyes.

Then, once all that's done, now I gotta find another body to push the damn clutch in - since GM designed this galactically craptastic bleeder system, with NO nipple - just a hex plug and a hole to squirt fluid all over the damn place. OH and when you try to get the 4mm allen socket or wrench in there, the line is angled upward, right in the friggin way, so each bleed cycle takes 2 solid minutes of fumbling with this key!!

Got 3 good chunks of rust right in my friggin eye .. WITH safety glasses on! GRRR!!! I'm still digging the crap out as I type ... eye red as a beet ...

I want to fight GM engineer!! I FRIGGIN HATE YOU, YOU M*#&$F^@*N#$ C#*$*K$ S((K N# G PR*$***#*# s!!!!!!!

Ahh, now I feel a little better.

Was able to drive the truck for the first time in 5 months.

We weren't as lucky with my brother's truck. 2 dead batteries. Tried cranking in the hopes the moons would align and the magic box would finally fire the injectors. Fat chance, lol. It's electronic! :banghead: Damn crap! $500 for a new one, half that for used. Just can't win today ... $15K into the truck, and every day it sits, something else rusts away, driving it's value down to nothing. Nice racket automakers have, aye?

At least the S10 lives again ... until the next rust-related failure.

Oh WOW ... now friggin photo upload don't friggin work!! UNREAL!!! I give up. Headed to bed. Someone put GM in control of photo uploads??? BWHAHAHAHA! Wow .....

Bring it to VA and I'll help lol

Oh I'll bring it...but it's the $$ is what I need the most. Still got to get my rear brakes looked at/replaced and my thermostat is still needing my attention. The way it's not working for me right now leads me to believe I may not even have a thermostat in the pump at all.

I'd just replace your rear brakes. I just did mine, and they were only $65 a side for re-built calipers. Way better pedal feel now that I have them all replaced.

I've already picked up the pads and hopefully the correct rotors (they are 2 listings so I guessed) but will also need to possibly get the parking brake shoes since the parking brake does nothing to hold the truck.

Oh I'll bring it...but it's the $$ is what I need the most. Still got to get my rear brakes looked at/replaced and my thermostat is still needing my attention. The way it's not working for me right now leads me to believe I may not even have a thermostat in the pump at all.

Does it not come off the 160 line? That's how our express 3500 van with a 350 is at work. No thermostat so when it's working it can just flow

We can't even run them like that up here. No heat - you'll freeze to death, lol! 23° this morning ... already! :sick:

Then there's the check engine light on modern vehicles, if the temp doesn't stay above 193°, or whatever the magic number is. Fails inspection in MA for that ... :rolleyes:

Dang, thought I had found something.

335i coupe, 75k miles, Silver on black, just a few k more than my Tahoe.

Great price, interior looked perfect, paint was better than the mileage would imply, well what's this, some touch up around the rear wheel?.......because someone had rubbed the back right on a parking pole. Never mind.

Does it not come off the 160 line? That's how our express 3500 van with a 350 is at work. No thermostat so when it's working it can just flow

It does...eventually. During the summer months of 90s it would come up as normal but in the cooler months it takes forever to come up to operating temps. Then if I shut the truck off it cools back off really quickly. When I got to work this morning it was at operating temp, but just an hour later I drove the truck and the temp gauge was back at the 160 mark again.

Sounds like it's not closing fully. Seems to happen a lot around here. Very rarely do they fail stuck shut, but it does happen. I've personally never experienced it - normally they just fail the way you described. Vehicle just never gets to operating temp in cooler weather.