OFFICIAL Remington 870 thread

What model do you have? What do you use it for? And what mods?

I have a synthetic 870 Express with a 26" barrel. It shoots 2 3/4" and 3" shells.

I have the same gun but with a wood stock and in 20g.

Use it for hunting hogs and scaring off kids that try to wrap my house with TP.

It was the first gun that my dad gave me.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys if you shoot a lot of light load ammo with the 870 or1187 simi auto's sooner or later you will need to replace the O-ring that retains the gas to get the shells to eject. On my kids shooting sports teams, almost everyone used those guns for shooting sporting clays and after a while the O-rings just wear out. At first you could pick them up for about 0.75 each, so we would just replace them before a competion but the last year my daughter shot they were like $3.50 each so I did not carry a pocket full of them any more just got one when we had to have it.:jester:

• 2 weeks later...

Would you believe my old mans first year production Rem. 1100 works without any o-ring at all? It should be impossible and it is the only one I have ever seen function without it but it does. :dunno:

Got a 870 Super Mag that shoots 2 3/4" - 3 1/2". Used is religiously duck hunting over the years in some nasty conditions. Its never let me down. Patterns absolutely perfectly, and I got it from my dad years ago.

I've always shot 3" or 3 1/2" ( 3 1/2 mostly lately) and while it leaves my cheek dotted and shoulder sore on those long days I love the gun. I bought a Beretta Xtrema 2, 26" barrel, with the Kick-Off system on a smoking deal, and I'm going to sell it to continue shooting the 870.

Only problem I have with it is that after this year I'll probably have to get it re-dipped because of wear and tear. One of the best guns ever made...

• 2 months later...

Plain jane with the exception of a side saddle I've added since the pictures. I plan on putting a regular choke tube in it too as I'm not a fan of the wierd holesaw looking one that came on it.

eggs004.jpg

eggs005.jpg

Here's a pic of my most modded 870 Express. I'd like to get a Mesa Tactical Urbino pistol grip stock, but I would really miss the extra shell capacity of the Speedfeed.

dcviw2.jpg

I REALLY like this! I would ultimately like to make mine like this. What kind of forearm is that with the rails on it?

• 2 weeks later...

Plain jane with the exception of a side saddle I've added since the pictures. I plan on putting a regular choke tube in it too as I'm not a fan of the wierd holesaw looking one that came on it.

eggs004.jpg

eggs005.jpg

Here's a pic of my most modded 870 Express. I'd like to get a Mesa Tactical Urbino pistol grip stock, but I would really miss the extra shell capacity of the Speedfeed.

dcviw2.jpg

I REALLY like this! I would ultimately like to make mine like this. What kind of forearm is that with the rails on it?

Thanks. The forearm is made my Mako. Having rails on the forearm is really nice, but the grip area is kind of small. If they would've moved the side rails an inch more forward, it would be perfect. Don't get me wrong, I really like the forearm a lot, but if you have large hands, it might be something to take into consideration.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over a year ago I ordered an 870 bullpup kit from Bullpup Unlimited but due to production problems, they could not produce the kits until now. Well I finally got my kit and it's pretty sweet. The kit has some flaws, but it's something different than a plain jane 870 and it's easy to convert back.

b7cmmr.jpg

• 1 month later...
I've been using the factory Modified choke in my 887, does anyone know of an extended choke that I can use with steel in 3, 3 1/2 shells? Are there any benefits in pattern to be gained with said choke?
longer chokes are said to be more consistent

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I've been using the factory Modified choke in my 887, does anyone know of an extended choke that I can use with steel in 3, 3 1/2 shells? Are there any benefits in pattern to be gained with said choke?

Briley and Carlson both make excellent chokes that are rated for steel. Look up the companies and take a look at their offerings, as you will likely have to mail order whatever you want. My only extended chokes are a Carlson turkey choke and a Briley skeet choke..well worth the additional cost.

Archived