OFFICIAL Remington 870 thread

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Mossberg 500 but since this is the only shotgun-centric thread so far I figured I'd share here anyhow. Took off the rifle stock to just leave the pistol grip.

33C00F5B-F8CC-4A5E-9E12-C7F02A477C71-734

I have an 870 for skeet/trap. and a 590a1 for HD. The 590 is a beast, have even used it for trap LOL.

:) Theres a reason there are a few of them in my old armory.

I have an 870 for skeet/trap. and a 590a1 for HD. The 590 is a beast, have even used it for trap LOL.

wait till u try a reall trap gun! I thought my 870 was fine till I got my browning citori xt trap.

qyvapyvu.jpg only pic I have of it. Then again I do shoot every week or so

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't own an 870 yet, however I really like the 870 Tactical. One hangup I have is I live in bear country. I want to be able to shoot 3 1/2" shells. Can the 870 Super magnum be converted to the same setup as the tactical easily and also in a cost effective manner? Has anyone done this yet?? If so any advice good or bad on this thought? Thanks.

I don't own an 870 yet, however I really like the 870 Tactical. One hangup I have is I live in bear country. I want to be able to shoot 3 1/2" shells. Can the 870 Super magnum be converted to the same setup as the tactical easily and also in a cost effective manner? Has anyone done this yet?? If so any advice good or bad on this thought? Thanks.

You can add the exact choke that comes on the "tacticool" model. You would have to have the barrel threaded to accept a choke though, not a hard job.

Since you are wanting to shoot bear, slugs definately fit the bill and 2 3/4" or 3" shell will be fine. 3 1/2" are not necessary and going with 3" will give you a better option in both gun and your choice of shells.

The 870 tactical comes with a cylinder bore choke which is fine for shooting slugs. Before making a decision on the "tacticool" choke, do some research and get something that is definately going to work for you. It doesn't have to look cool to be functional.

The Remington 870 "home defense" model may fit the bill for you. It holds 6 plus 1 and is chambered for magnum 3" shells. No choke, and no threads for a choke on that model.

Not that it matters but I have several 870's and a few Mossy 500-501's and not one of them has or needs a choke. Only shotgun in my possession that's choked is my breaching gun.

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

You can add the exact choke that comes on the "tacticool" model. You would have to have the barrel threaded to accept a choke though, not a hard job.

Since you are wanting to shoot bear, slugs definately fit the bill and 2 3/4" or 3" shell will be fine. 3 1/2" are not necessary and going with 3" will give you a better option in both gun and your choice of shells.

The 870 tactical comes with a cylinder bore choke which is fine for shooting slugs. Before making a decision on the "tacticool" choke, do some research and get something that is definately going to work for you. It doesn't have to look cool to be functional.

The Remington 870 "home defense" model may fit the bill for you. It holds 6 plus 1 and is chambered for magnum 3" shells. No choke, and no threads for a choke on that model.

Not that it matters but I have several 870's and a few Mossy 500-501's and not one of them has or needs a choke. Only shotgun in my possession that's choked is my breaching gun.

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

Listen to this man. He knows his stuff

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

The hunting hole I was in last weekend a guy got mauled by a 9 foot brown bear last year. The guy lived. He got one shot off and blew the lower jaw of the bear off. Bear was tracked for almost a week before it was found and they had to finish if off. If I get the super magnum that shoots 3 1/2" slugs can I also run 2 3/4" shells for home defense??? Not 100% sold on Remington's tactical choke but there are other brands.

I just picked up the 870 tactical last Friday. Cleaned it but haven't shot it yet. I considered the 6+1 model that has the 1 piece tube, but since I hunt decided it was worth the extra $120 for the threaded choke and sights. The tactical choke doesn't impress me...it's just a ported cylinder choke. Most slugs perform better out of a improved cylinder choke, and at least in my other 870 (Wingmaster) the modified choke patterns buckshot the best. For home defense purposes, the cylinder choke is fine, I just didn't want it to be a one trick pony. I've also never been interested in 3 1/2" shells. For buckshot I use the 3" magnum shells, but for slugs stick with 2 3/4". Plenty of power and doesn't put as much hurt on the shooter.

If you decide to go the modified route, the 'internals' are the same. You can buy 2 or 3 shot mag extensions and they just replace the magazine cap and add a longer spring. All 3 1/2" guns will cycle shorter shells, you just have to be careful to make sure you don't short cycle it because they do have a longer stroke to clear the long shells. There are lots of different sets of furniture out there...real easy to change as well. The factory set on the tactical seems ok. Magpul makes a nice set as well. Not sure how short you can buy a 3 1/2" gun, but the tactical and 6+1 models are 18 1/2" barrels, which make a 2 shot extension almost flush with the end of the barrel.

Love my 870 express mag, shot my first deer with it and started into waterfowl hunting using this gun. Now I have a Remington VERSAMAX I use for waterfowl hunting, but still keep the 870 around for slug season.

Archived