I need some advice on purchasing a new HD

I'm in the market for a new HD truck. I'm looking to be able to put a truck bed camper in and still tow my 3000lb boat. I'm torn between a 2500 and a 3500 srw. I also will be using the truck to tow my trailer and tractor around plus I haul gravel and stone for road repairs. I test drove a 2500 diesel and I know for sure that it will be a diesel.

Thanks

go with the 3500

it will add to your overall cargo capacity for your bed.

it does not help much with towing.

it is only about $1000 more then the 2500.

it is a leaf spring package.

you could also just add the leaf springs to a 2500 later on as well

Doesnt a 3500 seem like overkill if he,s only towing 3000 Lbs, and a bed camper...

On the other hand it is nice to have more then you need at times.. Also remember registration, ive seen 2500 trucks with a 4a sticker , over $200 a yr

and 3500,s with a weight 2 in the window @ $82 per yr..

If the only really difference between the two is an extra leaf in the rear.... get the 2500!! register it at class 2 and if you want add a hellwig leaf kit that adds 2500 or 3500 LBS of weight capacity.

Definitly get the 3500.

How many threads have you seen about a guy regretting he bought too much truck?

Make sure your option list has G80 Eaton locking rear axle on it also.

The size of the bed is going to be a bigger problem than size of the truck. I have not seen many campers that fit in a 6'6" bed. You did not state what cab you want. A regular or ext cab you can get the 8' bed but if you want the crew cab it is hard to find the 8' with out ordering it. That is what I found out when I was looking for a new truck. :jester:

I've actually been seeing a lot of campers for the 6'6 bed in the pop up style that I'm looking at. Where I'm at the crew cabs all are 8' beds.

I test drove a 2500 crew 8' bed work truck with the options I want and liked it. It was 38500

Personally, if all you're going to tow and haul is what you state then the 2500 will do just fine and the 6.0 gas engine will do it, obviously without the grunt of the diesel, but it will handle it. It's only money. That said, it's only money going with a 3500 also. If you'd like to price and size it right then you can definitely do so. If money's no object, go for it!

Go with the diesel for sure. I have had both and there is no comparison for towing. After my two trips towing my motorcycle trailer from Alberta to Arizona I sure wish I had my LBZ. I am also sure a 2500 should be enough of a truck for you but what the hell, if you can get a 3500 for a good price go for it. Lucky You!

Archived