LT tires

NEFisher11

I was wondering if it is worth it when i purchase new tires to upgrade to LT tires on my truck. I use the truck to tow my boat and utility trailer and hauling but nothing crazy. It came with P metric tires from the factory and i have always ran them at 35psi. If i went to LT tires would i still run them at 35psi? or would it just be a waste of money. I really like the look of the new Toyo at II's. If it matters the truck is a 2011 silverado LS 4x4 with the tow package and 4.8l

You do not need LT tires. I think that would be over kill. You drive a half ton I assume.

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using Tapatalk 2

Yes you would run at 35 psi for normal driving

You do not need LT tires. I think that would be over kill. You drive a half ton I assume.

Yes you would run at 35 psi for normal driving

Agreed. Stick with the P's

I would stick with the Pmetric size IMO. Mine came with LT245 C rated tires. I replaced them with 275 P metric's and have not regretted it. The 275's actually have a higher load rating and are only a few lbs heavier. I tow my 4000lb boat, haul 1-1.35 tons of gravel, firewood frequently with no problems.

I would only go back to LT tires if I were towing at near max capacity or hauling near GVWR on a daily basis and needed the utmost sidewall strength.

If you aren't planning on loading the bed pretty heavy or don't drive on dirt roads you're fine with p metrics. I do both of those, so I'm going with lt tires next time. With all the money I have in patches on the current tires I would be able to buy 1 new tire.

If you find a tire you really like, but it's an LT, don't let that steer you away. They're going to be heavier, and your MPG will probably drop a little....but towing stability will be better because of the stiffer sidewalls. I ran E-range BFG's on my old truck, and was very happy with them. I ran them at 40 PSI when empty. I'm currently running C-range LT's on my new truck.

I do load my truck down occsionally but not everyday. I also do load it down really good when i go camping up north and usually have to drive down logging roads to get to the campsite. So would the LT tires be a better fit then for that application. I also tow my boat and load the truck up when i go on vaca.

For me, I have the LT tires because it makes me feel better knowing they can handle a load when I do put it on my truck, which isn't often but there are times that I probably overload it and knowing the tires can handle it helps. To me it is a little extra insurance. Now if you didn't haul anything ever then there wouldn't be a need to get them. So since you do load up the truck I say get them and be happy knowing you are covered when you take those vacation trips.

I do load my truck down occsionally but not everyday. I also do load it down really good when i go camping up north and usually have to drive down logging roads to get to the campsite. So would the LT tires be a better fit then for that application. I also tow my boat and load the truck up when i go on vaca.

I'd say get the LT's, for peace of mind. They'll be stronger, and reduce your chances of getting a puncture on those logging roads while loaded down. You'll like the added stability when towing too.

• 2 weeks later...

Now would i still run LT tires at the recommended 35psi? Or would i run at a higher PSI? Would my TPMS freak out?

You can run around 38-40 PSI when empty, and bump up to the 50's when towing. Your TPMS might not like the higher PSI when towing, but you can either live with the dash light for a little while, or get the TPMS reset to allow a higher PSI.

Your truck came wih P metric tires. The tow / haul rating on your truck is based on the OE tires. Unless you are hauling a boat or trailer that puts you near max towing capacity, go with P metric tires. Another thing to think about is how often do you tow the boat each year? How often do you drive truck everywhere else? The ride will be more comfortable with the P metric tires. LT tires are unecessary for a 1/2 ton truck towing loads within the towing capacity.

Find a tire you like and go with weather it's a P or LT. I wouldn't go more than a load range C though. You probably won't notice the little ride difference unless your always running 50psi and a plus about an LT is you get a little more tread depth than you do on a P metric.

Sent from HTC using tapatalk 2.

Archived