Exhaust Adaptive Valve

• 3 months later...

Reviving an old thread here as my dealership just replaced my exhaust today with what is supposed to be an updated part. They said the new part was just released a couple of weeks ago and they've only done 1 other truck with this new part. Time will tell I guess.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reviving an old thread here as my dealership just replaced my exhaust today with what is supposed to be an updated part. They said the new part was just released a couple of weeks ago and they've only done 1 other truck with this new part. Time will tell I guess.

Picture of the new part?

It's a butterfly valve with a spring attached to it..... there isn't a whole lot they can "change" to make it any different lol. Unless they have better bushings for it to ride in or something so it has less chance of binding.

Yeah that's my thought too. I don't have a whole lot of confidence that it won't start again but time will tell. The GM Borla system also uses the valve and I haven't heard any complaints with that system.

• 2 years later...

The flapper on my 2017 , 5.3, ext cab started making a noise at start up recently. 3500 miles on the truck. After reading this and other posts I decided to clamp it to full open position by taking a piece of aluminum sheet metal(about 1/16”) , cutting to 1.25” wide x 4.25” long, wrapping around the valve and securing with 2 hose clamps to the full open position. Noise at idle is gone and no humming or helicopter noise during 4cly mode while driving. 

Might be a dumb question....can someone confirm that full rotation to stop 

in clockwise direction (facing the val ve,  from pass side, muffle to the left,)against the spring is in fact the full open position? 

• 3 weeks later...

The easy solution for me was to clamp the valve in full open position. No more rattle noise and no v4 drone either. I used a portable scope to run through the exhaust ( removed clamp near flex coupling) to verify the full open position of the adaptive valve. See pics. Full open, normal (mostly closed) and full ccw. 

5915F715-D775-40A0-BAAF-65D31831C6CB.jpeg

4250D5CC-E883-4E21-9C76-ABB4E4A3205C.jpeg

D75E3A7F-30DA-4D1A-AA1E-4287525800B9.jpeg

D4DCB573-A20B-4A9B-989C-666CD84B8536.jpeg

• Like 1