2014 Window Tint

When everyone is posting that they are doing 50% on the windshield, is that bringing it down to 50% or putting 50% on top of the factory 70%? I'm really trying to figure out what I want on my windshield, but am having a hard time deciding.

A buddy of mine has 5% all around and 35% on his windshield (not sure if it has factory tint or not). He swears he has no problems at night and loves it. I'm not wanting to go that dark. I'm doing 18% on the front windows to match the factory rears and a 18% brow.

50% on the windshield sounds great, but trying to figure out if I should do 50% on top of the factory or bring it down to 50%.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When everyone is posting that they are doing 50% on the windshield, is that bringing it down to 50% or putting 50% on top of the factory 70%? I'm really trying to figure out what I want on my windshield, but am having a hard time deciding.

A buddy of mine has 5% all around and 35% on his windshield (not sure if it has factory tint or not). He swears he has no problems at night and loves it. I'm not wanting to go that dark. I'm doing 18% on the front windows to match the factory rears and a 18% brow.

50% on the windshield sounds great, but trying to figure out if I should do 50% on top of the factory or bring it down to 50%.

Do 50% on top of factory. I have 45% on mine. Absolutley no issues at night and love it during the day. And with my sides at just under 10%. You can't see in very well during the day or night.

Do 50% on top of factory. I have 45% on mine. Absolutley no issues at night and love it during the day. And with my sides at just under 10%. You can't see in very well during the day or night.

Sounds great! 45 is looking like the closest to 50 my shop does as well. Hoping that doing 18 on the side windows will match the factory tint well. It will drive me insane if it doesn't. If the side windows on factory at 70 and I put 18 on top of it, it will bring it down to 12.6. But if it stands out too much, my shop does 80 tint as well and I could do that on the back windows to match it pretty close. I do doubt that will be an issue though. I'm pretty confident that it should all match rather well without having to mess with an 80 (which I doubt would make any difference in real life anyways).

Sounds great! 45 is looking like the closest to 50 my shop does as well. Hoping that doing 18 on the side windows will match the factory tint well. It will drive me insane if it doesn't. If the side windows on factory at 70 and I put 18 on top of it, it will bring it down to 12.6. But if it stands out too much, my shop does 80 tint as well and I could do that on the back windows to match it pretty close. I do doubt that will be an issue though. I'm pretty confident that it should all match rather well without having to mess with an 80 (which I doubt would make any difference in real life anyways).

It honestly should bring it way past theoretically. I have 2 layers of 35 on my fronts, 8.575% theoretically. But still easy to see at night.

Thinking i want 15% on my driver side and passenger side to match the back, will this be darker than the back? Truthfully i want 15% all around but if 15% in the front with a 5% strip on the windshield looked fine that's what i'll do.

Thinking i want 15% on my driver side and passenger side to match the back, will this be darker than the back? Truthfully i want 15% all around but if 15% in the front with a 5% strip on the windshield looked fine that's what i'll do.

Stock backs are 20% so putting 15% film over your 70% front windows should end making them darker than the rear. .7x.15 = 10.5%

• 1 month later...

I just had my widows tinted.

20% driver and passenger

Sunroof and all rear glass I went 35%

The tint is 3M Color Stable. I wanted the windshield done in 60% Crystalline, but the tint guy didn't have any in stock. I asked him how much for the windshield out of curiosity and to my surprise he said $350!

I thought that was pretty steep. Guess I'll be looking around.

I just had my widows tinted.

20% driver and passenger

Sunroof and all rear glass I went 35%

The tint is 3M Color Stable. I wanted the windshield done in 60% Crystalline, but the tint guy didn't have any in stock. I asked him how much for the windshield out of curiosity and to my surprise he said $350!

I thought that was pretty steep. Guess I'll be looking around.

$350 for just the windshield?! Thats pretty steep IMO. Shop here wanted $250 for just the windshield to be done in Llumar air 80 film. But I ended up going to another shop to get the windshield done in something cheaper. I think it was Suntek carbon 45% film. Still easy to see out during the day and night and best part was it only costed $120.

Ok so question.... I want to go 5% all around. I have the factory tinted rear glass. So should I

A - put 5% on the front two windows and a different percent to equal the 5% I want on all the rear or

B - just put 5% all around?

Anyone that has 5% all around with the factory tint how much darker is it in the back? And how is the visit at night ?

There is a 20% factory tint on the rear. 30% over my factory 20% registers at .06%.

There is a factory 70% tint on the front. 15% over my 70% registers at 9%.

Putting 5% on the front is going to put you realistically in the 2-3% range of which 15-20 over the factory tint on back would net around the same.

But 5 all around is fine as well. It looks pretty much the same. My cousins has 5% all around on his 09

Archived