Re-learn TPMS after tire rotation?

• 1 year later...

I traded in a 09 and always reset the TPMS positions myself. The procedure of letting a few pounds of air out to reset does not work on this 2014.... Tire guys did not reset mine so now I either drive 45 miles back to the tire store and waste 1/2 a day messing around or go spend 100 bucks on a one off usage tool. THANKS GM real good thinking there Rembrandt I guess that is your version of painting the edges.......Sigh

• 1 year later...

Great info...not so good with nitrogen fill.

How about adding a second set of tires with new a set of TPMS? I have an ATEQ that I've used on other vehicles to change from winter to summer tires. Or will the new pickup recognize the new sensors so you just identify the location?

Did you fill your summer tires with summer air? :D

What would be the purpose of GM and others not allowing the air pressure increase or drop method?

Simple it makes their service dept. more money for people paying to have tires rotated by them because of this.

The link above no longer works I found this one for $60

https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=EL-50448

If you look online you can find it at some other places for cheaper but they may be in China. I know tpmstoolshop.com has it for around $45 and I think aliexpress has it for around $36 shipped.

• Like 1

Simple it makes their service dept. more money for people paying to have tires rotated by them because of this.

While that was my knee jerk reaction as well, I don't think it is the real reason. People who do their own maintenance simply are not going to stop doing it because a new tool is needed; they will buy the tool. Also, I doubt the majority of new car buyers buy replacement tires, have tires repaired, or rotated at the dealerships; by far tire stores outsell the dealers in this area.

• 4 months later...

Just my $0.02. If you are concerned about driving back to a stealership, or spending money on the tool, just keep the pressure the same in all tires. If one drops a bit, stop and have them checked for equal pressure, or do it in your garage. Yes, I understand it's a really crappy set up with GM vehicles (among many other things I hate about my GMC.....vibration, shift pattern, etc.), but nonetheless, not a big deal. I think the only answer, if it bothers you that much, is either spend the money at the stealership, or buy the tool. Personally, for me, I could care less.

What would be the purpose of GM and others not allowing the air pressure increase or drop method?

I came across the following explanation:

Changes to the Service Procedure

GM Product Engineering has determined that in some instances the manual re-learn procedure can cause the TPM system to pick up stray sensor signals from nearby vehicles which can result in Diagnostic Trouble Codes being stored and parts being unnecessarily replaced. To address this concern GM Product Engineering will be disabling the TPM manual re-learn capability from the vehicle software starting January 2011.

• 4 months later...

whats the solution to reseting a 2017?    i put extra wheels with winter tires on.  put aftermarket sensors in.  (max MX00R1)

goto the tire screen.  press the middle button till it goes into learning mode.  Front left marker turns on.

i let bunch of air out but doesnt read it i guess.. 

Would like to order one of those cheap reset tools.  but dont know if they work or not

whats the solution to reseting a 2017?    i put extra wheels with winter tires on.  put aftermarket sensors in.  (max MX00R1)

goto the tire screen.  press the middle button till it goes into learning mode.  Front left marker turns on.

i let bunch of air out but doesnt read it i guess.. 

Would like to order one of those cheap reset tools.  but dont know if they work or not
The airing down of the tire doesn't work anymore. Either you buy the tool or you have the dealer relearn them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk