2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

You could always go with a Spectre kit, they are good (my father in law has one and loves it) and they're affordable as well.

It's about the same price as an airaid MIT and is an open element so its a little louder.

Yeah, I was looking at Spectre. They have the whole kit at Auto Zone right by my house. I'll figure something out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has any one here made there own? Was looking through here and thought I could just make my own box out of stainless or aluminum and run stainless tubing over to the Tb. Buy a maf adaptor and one of those boots for the Tb.

Stock airbox is well designed, opening is generous in fender and has cold air.

Only thing replacement box will do is make more noise....JMHO

I believe this will be backed up by Black Bears results coming soon in their thread

Is the opening similar to what many did to modify stock airbox at inner fender union?

Baffling in the fender must be different as this setup on the '17 is quieter than it was on my '11, but pleasingly so.

no drivability issues at all, weld in Magnaflow muff next

From my 2011 Silverado 1500 6.2 I kept my MIT but left the K&N installed. As a personal preference I didn't like the extra noise on my 2011 however I did open up the end of stock airbox and inner fender to match. Based on your post I will install the MIT on my 2017 Silverado 6.2 and purchase a new K&N down at the local auto store.

Is the opening similar to what many did to modify stock airbox at inner fender union?

From my 2011 Silverado 1500 6.2 I kept my MIT but left the K&N installed. As a personal preference I didn't like the extra noise on my 2011 however I did open up the end of stock airbox and inner fender to match. Based on your post I will install the MIT on my 2017 Silverado 6.2 and purchase a new K&N down at the local auto store.

Much less less noise with the '17

I did not modify either opening in either truck

check my post on mods needed to use the '11 tube on the '17

• Like 1

So I just installed the MIT on my 2016 5.3 I went for the initial test drive and it has severely reduced power and acceleration. The SLIGHT touch of throttle and it downshifts. Is this part of a relearn or is something else up?

Not to completely resurrect an old problem, but for future reference it is possible that during installation of new components that the MAF sensor got dirty. Many moons ago I replaced stock air intake on my Mustang and the results were terrible - it was like the car wanted to stall. Took a lint-free cloth and rubbing alcohol to the MAF and was smooth sailing after that.

Just my $0.02.

• Like 2

Here are our intake test results on a 2016 Yukon Denali: http://blackbearperformance.com/IntakeTestResults_2016.asp

Awesome! Wonder if swapping the filter on the Airaid MIT would make it perform like the full Airaid kit...

That's what I've done and it performs great. Haven't put it on a dyno though...

The stock filter is not a restriction (provided it is clean), you can run it with a supercharger. There would be no difference.

Strange, seems like the main difference in the full kit and the MIT is only the filter set up. Open element w/ high flow filter vs stock box with high flow filter. So essentially the open element with their high flow cone filter makes all the difference?

So from the results AFE intake makes the most gains out of the rest that were tested? I would have thought a open intake like the K&N Blackhawk would make more.

Edited by Amuro

Strange, seems like the main difference in the full kit and the MIT is only the filter set up. Open element w/ high flow filter vs stock box with high flow filter. So essentially the open element with their high flow cone filter makes all the difference?

The shape of the tube itself is different on the MIT vs the full kit on the DI engines. I would expect that plays a role in the results as well.

So from the results AFE intake makes the most gains out of the rest that were tested? I would have thought a open intake like the K&N Blackhawk would make more.

Just suggests that the shape of the box(es) permit more than enough airflow around the filter than the engine can consume.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Chevy Performance Air Intake?

Here is the site.
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/silverado-parts.html

Here is what they claim.

P/N 84016022 (Performance Air Intake—2014-2016 Silverado 1500,
Tahoe, and Suburban with 5.3L V8) / MSRP: $550†
Upgrade the performance and look of your truck with the Chevrolet Performance air intake. This system reduces air intake restriction by up to 15% and looks great under the hood. It’s available for 5.3L applications. Rigorously tested to GM standards for durability, corrosion, and performance.