10 things the F150 got wrong

mike94silverado

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the aluminum.... I live in Upper Michigan and they are crazy with the salt here.... THe aluminum hoods on F150s and gates on expeditions here are corroding. It's getting to the point where you'll see it daily. I can't imaging my entire truck doing that..... also, Until the body shops get used to working on them I can just imagine the hack jobs that are going to be coming out of the body shops for minor accidents....

The B8 (current gen) Audi A/S4s are mostly aluminum as well. Do you see many of those corroding in michigan? I live in new england, and we have plenty of salt and haven't seen any corrosion issues with the S4 i just sold, or any of the others i see on the street.

If you're seeing corroded aluminum panels on Fords up there, maybe ford just has an issue with their paint process.

The B8 (current gen) Audi A/S4s are mostly aluminum as well. Do you see many of those corroding in michigan? I live in new england, and we have plenty of salt and haven't seen any corrosion issues with the S4 i just sold, or any of the others i see on the street.

If you're seeing corroded aluminum panels on Fords up there, maybe ford just has an issue with their paint process.

Yeah, the salt has to get through paint before it can touch metal. Aluminum doesn't rust by the way.

Look at a mail truck. They are all aluminum. If you have followed the news about the USPS the the past few years, they are all around 20 years old(and get single digits MPGs, and need several thousands a year to keep them going, basically falling apart) , no rust. I have never seen one corroded. Ask your mailman, it probably hasn't been washed in YEARS.

Think of this:

When the 2015 F150 hits dealers later this year it will draw all truck buyers to Ford to see n drive this new truck. I'm betting the responsive n efficient 2.7 EB engine will win over buyers and the order backlog for this truck will explode!!!

The only thing GM will have to compete is Deep Discouted pricing which will only erode GMs profits... Gonna be a bitch for GM... n Ram too!!!

I smell a Ford Fanboy... Ford is Putting all their Eggs in One Basket by Relying on the EgoBoost to be the Bread and Butter Engine for the F150, and Relegating the V8 to their Top of the Line Trucks. Furthermore, Switching to an All Aluminum Body is a VERY RISKY Move by a High Volume Manufacturer (you've probably heard the issues Alcoa is having with the Stampings); not very many Locally owned Body Shops are Trained in Aluminum Panel Repair, and the ones that ARE, usually deal with High End Luxury Cars, Sports Cars, and SUVs like Audi, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls Royce, the C6 Corvette Z06/ZR1 the Base and Z06 C7 Corvette, and Land Rover; and those body shops usually command a PREMIUM PRICE. because here is an Excerpt from my Collision Repair book (which was copyrighted in 2009, so this info is NOT VERY OLD!):

The repair of aluminum panels requires much more care than working steel panels. Aluminum is much softer than steel, yet it is more difficult to shape once it becomes badly bent and work hardened. it also melts at a lower temperature and readily distorts when heated. Aluminum panels are usually thicker than today's HSS (High Strength Steel) panels. It is important to keep in mind that aluminum body and frame parts are 1.5 to 2 times as thick as steel parts. When damaged, aluminum feels harder or stiffer to the touch because of work hardening. -Auto Body Repair Technology 5th Edition by James E. Duffy

my Guess is that Repair Costs to the F150 are Probably going to DOUBLE or even TRIPLE from what they are now.

Isn't GM putting there eggs in old tech engines and relying on cylinder deactivation to save your ass.

All they got was just 1 mpg better than EB with the 2014 twins with your wt loss and new engines, that's it...!

So what is GM going to do if 2015 F150 with 2.7 EB gets 28 mpg or more...!

Mid size can't compete with the capability of the 2.7 EB so full size twins will need Deep Discounts that erode profits...!

Your turn...!

So the 2.7 is confirmed to get 28mpg? Where did you hear that from?

Since you seem to know that, how much can that 2.7l tow? Does it require premium fuel?

Isn't GM putting there eggs in old tech engines and relying on cylinder deactivation to save your ass.

All they got was just 1 mpg better than EB with the 2014 twins with your wt loss and new engines, that's it...!

So what is GM going to do if 2015 F150 with 2.7 EB gets 28 mpg or more...!

Mid size can't compete with the capability of the 2.7 EB so full size twins will need Deep Discounts that erode profits...!

Your turn...!

the ONLY way Ford could Pull off those Numbers is by running EXTREMELY TALL Gears in BOTH the Transmission and the Differential, which would effectively render the truck COMPLETELY USELESS at Hauling and Towing, which is the thing Trucks are BOUGHT FOR! and last Time I checked the EcoTec3 Engines are DIRECT INJECTED.

Archived