2014 Silverado Starting problems

My 2014 Sierra had a new starter from Dealer stock installed yesterday ..........my truck started for the first time on the first attempt last night at 7 deg. F and it actually started again this morning at 14 deg. F or so on the first attempt also. After trying a "bake out" procedure on the old starter that did not work the Service Manager just put the new starter in .....evidently GM Field Service Engineers are/were advising to NOT just install a new starter - I assume this was because they have not pinpointed the time frame of the defective starter production and just throwing any new starter on may not fix the issue ..........My truck is fixed!!!

Edited by michaeldc46
  • Like 1

My 2014 Sierra had a new starter from Dealer stock installed yesterday ..........my truck started for the first time on the first attempt last night at 7 deg. F and it actually started again this morning at 14 deg. F or so on the first attempt also. After trying a "bake out" procedure on the old starter that did not work the Service Manager just put the new starter in .....evidently GM Field Service Engineers are/were advising to NOT just install a new starter - I assume this was because they have not pinpointed the time frame of the defective starter production and just throwing any new starter on may not fix the issue ..........My truck is fixed!!!

Don't get to excited yet...I thought that too after the first starter. Wait until it starts in subzero degree (f) weather after sitting all night long.

I picked up my truck last Friday from the dealer after dealing with the same problems. They told me that GM had told them to change the starter and (I'm guessing) at least one battery cable. It was my salesman that told me, and not being a mechanic he phrased it as "the starter and something else with high resistance". That it why I'm guessing that what he was referring to was a cable since somebody else in this forum had a battery cable with high resistance changed as a result of this very issue.

It has been sub-zero overnight at least one if not two of the nights since I got the truck back, and the highest temp has been today at about 25. The truck has started every time.

Prior to, every morning it wouldn't start. Almost every day after work it wouldn't start. I would try, wait, try, and it eventually would.

I'm feeling pretty confident that they have fixed the problem. Add me to the list of guys that had the problem, got a new starter, and have been good since. The OP I believe is on that list as he hasn't come back indicated that his issue has come back.

This talk about the flapper valve is absolutely, completely not related to the non-starting issue described in this thread. The flapper is a purely mechanical device that has absolutely nothing to do with allowing the starter to turn.

A third starter.

Did you get the bar codes off the ones that failed and the third one that works? I took bar code photo's off my old one and the new one for reference. GM is trying to pin down the time of manufacture of the "freezing" starters. The start part number is the same for 2013's .......so, maybe my Dealer got an older new starter or a newer new starter. GM has provided no guidance on what serial number range are causing the problems ........I did not have a choice, but to put what the Dealer had in stock on and hope for the best - you are right about not getting excited, but this is the first time my truck has started on the first attempt. If it freezes when really cold again, I will get a third starter like you ........... just hoping for the best (that is absolutely a terrible attitude - I want to know that it is FIXED!)

Did you get the bar codes off the ones that failed and the third one that works? I took bar code photo's off my old one and the new one for reference. GM is trying to pin down the time of manufacture of the "freezing" starters. The start part number is the same for 2013's .......so, maybe my Dealer got an older new starter or a newer new starter. GM has provided no guidance on what serial number range are causing the problems ........I did not have a choice, but to put what the Dealer had in stock on and hope for the best - you are right about not getting excited, but this is the first time my truck has started on the first attempt. If it freezes when really cold again, I will get a third starter like you ........... just hoping for the best (that is absolutely a terrible attitude - I want to know that it is FIXED!)

AMEN to that!

GM told my dealership that any starter made after December should be OK. I didn't get any pictures or codes...I never thought about it! Now I wish I would have.

Edited by strike1st

“At least when you get yours started you can drive it. Several times now mine starts but drive does not engage. Have to run through the gears 3-4 times before it will grab and go.”

Interesting Mark. A couple of weeks back while running around town doing errands, on 5 tries at two different locations my truck would not go into park. I’m talking, roll out the driveway distance. The shift indicator showed that it was in Park. The only way it would go into park was to slowly be rolling then shift/ jam it to Park. Dealer looked at it, says its fine, they are supposed to roll before going into park. Where I come from we call that Heifer Dust. Temps were around -20.

But I still want to keep it.

“At least when you get yours started you can drive it. Several times now mine starts but drive does not engage. Have to run through the gears 3-4 times before it will grab and go.”

Interesting Mark. A couple of weeks back while running around town doing errands, on 5 tries at two different locations my truck would not go into park. I’m talking, roll out the driveway distance. The shift indicator showed that it was in Park. The only way it would go into park was to slowly be rolling then shift/ jam it to Park. Dealer looked at it, says its fine, they are supposed to roll before going into park. Where I come from we call that Heifer Dust. Temps were around -20.

But I still want to keep it.

My dealership has been great...no complaints at all.

But I'm pretty sure these K2 trucks could explode and leave us with a smoldering pile of shit and melted rubber and GM would say "that's Normal".

• Like 1

My Sierra again started at 6 deg. F this morning. This is with the out of dealer stock new starter. I took pictures of the old non properly functioning starter and the working replacement starter .....: Photo 3 is the old one and photo 4 is the current installed and working one.

post-128026-0-43662300-1392482784_thumb.jpgpost-128026-0-69834200-1392482938_thumb.jpg

post-128026-0-43662300-1392482784_thumb.jpg

post-128026-0-69834200-1392482938_thumb.jpg

the starter that gm tech line told us to order came in friday, let it sit out side

overnight and it did start right up saturday morning. i will try it again monday

when i get to work. i will post the new part # monday if again starts right up.

this is a totaly different starter, made by a different vender. hope this is the

problem.....

Edited by maliburay55

My Sierra again started at 6 deg. F this morning. This is with the out of dealer stock new starter. I took pictures of the old non properly functioning starter and the working replacement starter .....: Photo 3 is the old one and photo 4 is the current installed and working one.

attachicon.gifphoto 3 (2).JPGattachicon.gifphoto 4 (2).JPG

this is the starter i took off my 2014 silverado, gm tech had me order a differend starter i will plst a picture of the new style.