2014 Silverado Starting problems

Mine started the morning after I bought the truck with about 50 miles on it.

***maybe I should rephrase that***

Mine started ACTING UP the next morning after.

Edited by chelmer

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my 2014 Sierra Feb. 5 - was built Sept 2013 ..........I has not started on any day that I have owned it .......... I can fiddle with it, remote, in cab, lock, unlock and after many tries will start. Dealer removed starter and heated inside and reinstalled on my truck the next day ...........took it home and it would not start the next day. After 26 attempts to start today it started by remote on the 27th. Took to dealer after showing him this thread and he replaced the starter. We will see tomorrow morning. The Service Manger was being told by GM field engineers to NOT just replace the starter - try the bake out procedure. Well, I looked at the bad starter and all seals were intact as best I could tell. Valero may have assembled the starter in 80% relative humidity and 80 deg. F, which would lead to condensing moisture in the solenoid portion of the starter ........I can not see how the "baking" process would drive out condensing humidity. GM wants to handle owners on a case by case basis - I disagree and GM should issue a TSB as soon as GM and Valero bracket the offending production dates of the starters and trucks. 2013 Trucks have the same part number starter and have not had this problem that I know of .......... They will get to the bottom of this .........meantime, us cold weather frustrated owners and some good dealers are struggling with this problem ..........will post a start or no start tomorrow with a NEW starter ...........should be 10 deg. F or so ......

I do really like my truck, but it really should start for me to keep liking it ..........good thing I have other vehicles available.

Add me to the list. Purchased 2014 Silverado Double Cab Z71 on a Wednesday. I live in Wisconsin. Temps have been -20 to 5 in the mornings. Friday truck wouldn't start. Towed back to dealer. They said battery had low charge so they charged it up and gave it back to me later that day. I wasn't convinced because the tow truck driver tried to jump start the truck with no luck. Saturday morning wouldn't start. Towed 2nd time to dealer. This time I was told battery failed testing. Replaced battery Monday and kept the vehicle until Wednesday. They said everything tested good for 2 days. I received the truck back on Wednesday. All good until Saturday afternoon. Towed a third time. They thought the truck had some sort of power draw. Dealer called me Monday and told me GM engineers were sending them a new starter to try. Starter was suppose to arrive today but it didn't come in. Will be delivered Thursday and installed. I will let you know if this fixes my truck.

well guys still no fix, my 2014 silverado was towed in for the 2nd time in 6 days

my service dept tech found one of the battery grounds going to the frame had undercoat under the cable, cleaned that off & it started right up. drove it home,

the next morning well you guessed it, no start no crank. the gm smart guys gave us a part # for a completly different starter,i should have this part by friday. if this works i will post the pt# for this new & improved starter. kinda bad when you work for a chevy dealer & your new truck keeps being towed to work every day !

March of 13' I replaced battery on my 97' GMC down at Sears Auto Center in Florida. I've used Die Hard batteries forever the past 10 years while living in Florida and was able to get about 3 years out of them before they crapped out. The heat, etc. really takes it's toll on batteries in this region of the country.

I told the guy at Sears I was moving up to Chicago in a few weeks and he stated....."oh boy, this new battery is not going to last you very long". He explained that in warmer climates, the sulfuric acid/water solution is different depending on what regions of the country you live in. In warmer climates the solution is weaker so the battery does not get too hot internally. Likewise, when you purchase a battery in regions of the country where it's much colder, the solution is stronger as this allows for maximum CCA and since it's so cold, internal heat build up is not a major factor.

I can assume there is some truth to this. Just wondering if GM is installing the correct battery based on region of the country these trucks are being shipped to.