Yes the 5.3 will Smoke the Rear Tires

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brothers 10 dodge is a 5 speed auto, new GMC is a 6, that the difference, he running a 355 rear gear too. As far as racing trucks its all fun different strokes on the track of course. My 92 chevy is 383 with a whipple etc. No tickets in 20 years, I use to drive 60k plus miles a year

I've never understood why anyone would race a truck. With that being said, I do understand why a little tire smoke is necessary every once in awhile. :cheers:

its just interesting to know what truck would win in a race. i know these are race cars or anything like that but it would just be interesting.

Smoke'm if you got'em.... Yep I broke the back tires loose with Traction control still on about a week ago. Put it in Tow/Haul and punched it from a light to get around the vehicle to my right... Man it was sweet. My 2007 would have never done that.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06/2013-light-duty-challenge-acceleration.html

regarding 5.3 vs EcoBoost vs Ram 5.7, pickuptrucks.com compared them all. only measured 0-60 and no quarter mile times unfortunately. all current half tons are fast and slow depending on how you look at it. they're fast compared to pickups of the past, slow compared to any soccer mom's v6 sedan on the road.

hey man, i'm just sayin'. Trust me, a lot of people don't know where me or my truck are coming from. I still hear it from people how trucks aren't supposed to be fast, you could have bought a muscle car, blah blah blah. Even TechSTL said above in post #16 "I've never understood why anyone would race a truck". He is not alone. I understand where people are coming from, I just look at it differently. I grew up around hot rods. From my Dad's '69 427 'vette to my brother's various hot rods, '66 'vette, '63 split window '86 then '87 Grand Nationals, then '98, '02 and finally '05 VCA edition Vipers. I wanted a hot rod and I wanted a new truck. I could only afford one, but found a two for one deal that I couln't pass up. A fully functional truck with the max tow package able to pull or haul anything I need it to, and an all wheel(4wd) drive hot rod with almost 600 horsepower. It gets around in the winter quite well, and hauls mulch, pavers, lumber, family and ass pretty well also. To me it's the best of all worlds. :thumbs:

Oh Yea SilveradoSC540! I took a lot of flak over that when I spoke negatively about the 5.3 in my new 14' Silvy. I am like yourself in the fact that we come from a racing family from round track to dragstrips. I've had a 91' GMC Syclone for about a year that I regret ever selling. : ( I can tell you that once you ride in that truck for a while, you would feel like us both. I could pretty much take the wood to any modern muscle car from red light to red light and most of the time in the 1/4. I had a 97' GMC Vortec 350 that had a Whipple SC on it and that sucker was no slouch either, but the AWD Syslone just put all the power to the pavement. My Hemi Ram definitely would just kill my 5.3 Chevy, no doubts. I do think the 6.2 would be a different story. I'm about to trade in my 14' for a 15' 2500HD Duramax and quit screwing around with an inferior vehicle that I need to tow with and work with too. I know those diesel performance shops can flat out turn a diesel into a beast too! You have a nice truck btw bro!

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06/2013-light-duty-challenge-acceleration.html

regarding 5.3 vs EcoBoost vs Ram 5.7, pickuptrucks.com compared them all. only measured 0-60 and no quarter mile times unfortunately. all current half tons are fast and slow depending on how you look at it. they're fast compared to pickups of the past, slow compared to any soccer mom's v6 sedan on the road.

Is that a '13 5.3L or a '14 5.3L ?

Archived