2014+ AFM (Active Fuel Management)

I can't feel the V8 to V4 switch but can sometimes feel the switch back. But something usually changes in the drive anyways to make that switch back. Whether it be a hill, or acceleration, or something else that requires a couple more revs or a gear change.

Well, seems like it's about half and who do and don't notice it. My grandparents have an older (97ish?) Cadillac that has cylinder deactivation in its "Northstar" V8 and it is absolutely seamless switching between the two. Of course it probably weighs more than these trucks and FWD but still, I would prefer "AFM" to feel more like that. I may take it in and see if there is any fix just because in my mind there shouldn't be any noticeable transition, and for some there isn't. Thanks for the replies guys.

• Like 1

Well, seems like it's about half and who do and don't notice it. My grandparents have an older (97ish?) Cadillac that has cylinder deactivation in its "Northstar" V8 and it is absolutely seamless switching between the two. Of course it probably weighs more than these trucks and FWD but still, I would prefer "AFM" to feel more like that. I may take it in and see if there is any fix just because in my mind there shouldn't be any noticeable transition, and for some there isn't. Thanks for the replies guys.

No, it does not. Not even close. The only Cadillacs that possibly exceeded the weight of 2014 GM crew cab 1500 4x4 pickups were the old land yachts (1976 and older) models. I believe that a 1976 Cadillac sedan deVille weighed around 6000 lbs. There was a reason why it came with a standard 500 cu in V8 engine. Edited by pm26
  • Like 3

same here but with the bigger tires and lift it hardly goes into V4

This is the biggest problem I'm having with it

Mr Kugg

From the look of your truck with lift and tires not getting V4 very often is not a problem, it should be expected.

I dont understand this at all!

Who cares if you can feel it do its job

Most guys on here cried and cried we need a six speed

and now they suck because they dont have an 8 speed like dodge.

Who cares if you can feel it go into V4 mode it sure isnt

any different than all that shifting with the 6 and 8 speeds.

FYI I have AFM and I do feel it working and I like it!

It has been great on my 07

Edited by seamonster
  • Like 1

No, it does not. Not even close. The only Cadillacs that possibly exceeded the weight of 2014 GM crew cab 1500 4x4 pickups were the old land yachts (1976 and older) models. I believe that a 1976 Cadillac sedan deVille weighed around 6000 lbs. There was a reason why it came with a standard 500 cu in V8 engine.

The Cadillac weight thing was a joke by the way.

And I came from a 2004 4 speed 5.3L and vowed never to do that equivalent combo again. I wanted a 6 spd 6.2L but found a deal on a new 5.3 that I'm happy with. I'm not complaining about the transmission from V4 to V8 you dick (seamonster) , I'm just curious why a car from 1997 would have a softer switch than a 2014 pickup and if my personal experience is normal. And the answer is apparently no, not everyone has this issue.

Whats up with the name calling?

Cant you see we agree----the AFM feels like a gear shift!

Many people want 6 and 8 speed tranny and then complain they can feel AFM.

That is what I dont understand.

So stick your name calling up your a@@ hate to see what you would say if i disagreed with you.

No reason we cant keep this friendly.

FYI its not the transmission that switches from V4 to V8 ---I think that may have been a typo on your part

so should I call you names now? I dont think that is how this forum goes..

One last thing----this is kind of funny----My name is Dick. So you can call me that all day just dont call

me late for supper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mine, not so much. Granted this is the first vehicle I've owned with cylinder deactivation, it just doesn't seem right to me. It's honestly like it's downshifting when it goes from V4 to V8 at a hill or gust of headwind. And V8 to V4 isn't much better. There is a very noticeable (but not huge) jerk exactly like the transmission is shifting up or down. Have not tried in manual mode yet but will next time I'm out and about.

I can definitely tell when it switches modes, but it is smoother than the Hemi Ram version.

• Like 1