Adding Home Link?

I want to add the Home Link buttons into my 2014 Silverado and first I want to make clear that I prefer to add the transmitter that comes in the 2014 Silverado and not mod in a generic unit. I have purchased the transmitter and buttons (yes they come separate) from my dealer but the parts guy wasn't much help after that. After I asked him to call the tec help center he called me back and told me that the part cannot be installed and that if I did it would void a major portion of my warranty.

So much for GM's friendly tec support.

Less than 6 weeks into my new truck I am totally pissed off that such a small GM option cannot be added (per my parts guy) and that even after I purchased actual GM parts that will go into the truck under a different option package than what I have leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I see no wire harness that will match my plug on the Home Link transmitter and it also looks like there are several different covers that may or may not be needed to mount the Home Link transmitter in. It appears to screw into the overhead console (no screws came with the transmitter) and no wire harness either.

Without some additional help I am back to 20th Century clip on remotes that tend to get in the way when using the trucks visors.

Has anyone added this Home Link from GM in their truck yet?

Is installing a generic Home Link button the only way to go on this?

Adding something to a vehicle that is not available as an after the fact accessory most likely won't be a simple plug and play. Something similar was a DIY mod on the G8 cars that many forum members did. Adding homelink to the visors. You might search over at g8board.com for a lil info and might at least get an idea. No reason to get pissed at GM or an employee at the dealership for something they have no idea if it can be done or not. You will probably need to get some wiring schematics and figure out what wire is what on a truck that is equipped with it. From there you might be able to figure out how to get it operating by splicing wires. Then mounting. Good luck!

You can buy the older style home-link button housings on Ebay or amazon, that mount in the visor. I think they only need a power supply and ground. Then you can mount it on the visor or the headliner.

Edited by fondupot

Adding something to a vehicle that is not available as an after the fact accessory most likely won't be a simple plug and play. Something similar was a DIY mod on the G8 cars that many forum members did. Adding homelink to the visors. You might search over at g8board.com for a lil info and might at least get an idea. No reason to get pissed at GM or an employee at the dealership for something they have no idea if it can be done or not. You will probably need to get some wiring schematics and figure out what wire is what on a truck that is equipped with it. From there you might be able to figure out how to get it operating by splicing wires. Then mounting. Good luck!

I have the actual part that I ordered from the parts guy at the dealership. Now that I have the transmitter and the buttons he tells me that it can't be done without voiding parts of my warranty.

It is just very hard for me to believe that GM did not include that plug in all the vehicles. Such a simple add on...

You can buy the older style home-link button housings on Ebay or amazon, that mount in the visor. I think they only need a power supply and ground. Then you can mount it on the visor or the headliner.

I did that in my 05 Avalanche, and it worked great. Yes you are correct just 2 wires and positive and a ground.

I have one sitting here that has a brown cover and no matter how I position it in that small console it won't fit. They put that LED light right smack dab in the middle. I am not brave enough to tear into the visor.

Edited by No Tyme

...he tells me that it can't be done without voiding parts of my warranty.

That's absolute BS! Dealers always pull that "will void your warranty" line even though the law clearly states they can only deny a warranty claim if they can prove the customer's modification caused the part failure. If you use GM original parts and something does go wrong down the road, 90% they'll never even know you installed it and assume it came that way from the factory.

When you pulled off your existing overhead panel, there was no Home Link wiring harness unused / tied off? Usually GM installs the complete harnesses and just ties off the unused connections (example: the 4WD & trailer brake plugs are unused behind my left panel). The end of the HomeLink harness is small & flat, similiar to a HDMI plug but 1/3 the size.

post-34923-0-13578000-1394070592_thumb.jpg

Edited by MotoMedic

Homelink only needs two things, 12v power and ground. Wire it in yourself and you will be fine. It is not controlled by the BCM, all of the programming is kept in the console module itself.

I added it to my G8 with no problems.

I'd love to hear how this works out. Part numbers of the transmitter and the buttons to install. I can handle getting a power source to it if it works, but there is a good chance the harness is in there just tied up behind something ( I put bluetooth and oil and volt gauges in my GM plug and play on existing harnesses. Hopefully they are available for this mod).

Edited by scphilli

From what I read on here, the sunglasses holder is apparently too small for most sunglasses. That's where I tucked my remote.

Ha ha same here. I don't even know why they give us that when it barely fits most glasses. Should have been someone other container.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually found the complete overhead console on eBay. YES eBay ! I purchased the complete console and install took about 2 minutes. Pull hard on the console, starting on one of the front corners and disconnect the main power bus connector. Connect the new unit, pop in place and your good to go. I think the parts guy at the dealership is full of crap.

The main connector is the large black connector on the left/center. The plug on top was for the seat belt light for the passenger side. I had to remove it from my original console for the new one.

So simple my wife could do the install.

homelinkconsole.jpg

• Like 1