Dyno of 6.2L ecotec3?

Here you go, fresh off the rollers, just did it yesterday:

StockDyno34inch10Ply.jpg

That's 100% bone stock down to the stock air filter, exhaust (including flapper valve flapping away), etc. However, one big thing that will affect my numbers is my tires. I have 34.1" 10 ply tires that weigh nearly 20 lbs more than stock EACH! I'd guess I would have made 10-15 more accross the board with the stock tires. But since I'm mainly concerned with seeing what I gain from mods, I needed the baseline to be with the tires I'll be using for the next couple years.

Here it is letting it rev a little with a tune:

StockTunedDyno34inch10Ply.jpg

With more time on the dyno, I know I could have squeezed a few more horses out of it but I was really just experimenting around learning how to tune the thing. The tune I do after some mods will be more important so I'll spend more time on it. That said, in cool weather near sea level running premium, the stock 6.2 tune seems pretty close to on--a tad rich, but it doesn't seem to cost much power. I don't think there's a whole lot to gain there. Most of the real world gains are going to be from getting the TQ management under control, raising rev limiter/revising shift points, etc. Of course I'm just an amature tuner, maybe a real pro will find some big gains somewhere.

Cleaning up the fuel tables will show a little gain, it's going to be more of where to pull and add the timing back in prior to knock that will show you more of the gains on the N/A tune side.

Sounds like the fuel tables are pretty good, now see where you are pulling timing and just how much you can back in. I'm sure you know all of that, you do not sound so "amateur" from previous post, haha (Compliment). I'm sure you'll find about 10-12hp across the board once you dial in a few more tables.

@Jon when are you going to install the Magnaflow kit? When I had mine on it felt like it made more power with a loss in low end torque..I'm curious to see if my seat of the pants dyno was correct.

I put it on right after the dyno. It sounds sweet! I haven't noticed any difference in power either way. At most a catback is only going to make a ~3% difference, I think it would be hard to tell without instrumentation. The difference in sound could sure cause perceptual changes though (placebo effect). Unfortunately dyno time is too expensive to do it again after every mod--I should have headers, cold air, etc next time I take it. I'm expecting a decent gain on the low end with everything but won't know exactly which mod is responsible for what.

People often post charts with the STD correction factor (it gives higher numbers), so here it is with that in case people want to compare it to such charts:

StockTunedDyno34inch10PlyStandard.jpg

I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison to put the results in perspective a bit. In some other threads, some have mentioned the Ford 6.2 as being pretty close to the GM in rating. This dyno illustrates the differences quite well.

dyno1-raptor.jpg

Here is the best dyno of a completely stock Raptor I could find. The Raptor's wheel/tire package is pretty close to mine in size and weight so the results should be fairly comparable.

Compare the torque of the GM to the Ford at each RPM:

RPM

2500 +60 lb-ft

3000 +55 lb-ft

3500 +48 lb-ft

4000 +25 lb-ft

4500 +12 lb-ft

5000 +16 lb-ft

5500 +15 lb-ft

Anyway, you can see the differences from idle to 4000 RPM are pretty huge, indicating how the peak numbers don't really tell the whole story of how the engine will feel in day to day use of a "truck engine." Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a Raptor dyno with numbers down to 2000 RPM.

Way cool! Thx for posting. I'm assuming this was a 3rd gear pull? The torque is nuts down low for being an NA engine. That's why the bitch plants you back when you hit it! :driving:

Yes, 3rd gear pull with converter locked. I know I could have gotten higher numbers in 4th, but I felt I might be pushing my luck with the stock driveshaft at 165 MPH.... And 3rd gear pulls seem pretty standard with 6 speed trucks, so it should be comparable to most dynos you see.

I've been impressed by the tq curves of the 6.2 and 5.3L. They are pretty solid for a N/A engine. That's also a reason why we are getting pretty descent mielage IMHO.

Your dyno's def show why the 6.2L feels so strong from ~3500 on out...it's a steady hold of ~350 lbs ft and around 300+hp.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon,

Good info, I haven't made it to the Dyno myself, very interested in your future post w/comparison numbers. Maybe I missed the post but what mods are you planning before next trip to the Dyno?

I have experienced the same as you on timing tables and minimum power gains in stock trim, on the 6.2 (on butt Dyno) but you are spot on when u say the gains are in trans and TM... these 6.2 trucks come to life.

STD Dyno graphs mean nothing to me unless we are comparing the effects of altitude/temp/humidity but you are correct, a lot of Dyno's (typically flybynight) give STD numbers because they don't have the proper equipment to record SAE or they do it to get kids coming back that use their Dyno sheets as bragging rights. I really was expecting yours to be higher but mybe 3rd and those tires are eating up more than we think, doesn't matter though, like you said, it's for comparison purposes.

Keep us updated.

Steve

Maybe I missed the post but what mods are you planning before next trip to the Dyno?

So far I have an AFE intake and Magnaflow catback. On the way are ARH longtubes (with cats), ported TB and if I can find one a 180 Degree thermostat.

• 3 weeks later...

subscribed. really looking forward to seeing the dyno results after the headers are installed. Also how much spark advance you end up with and the O2 mv readings/a/f ratio.

Archived