What did you do to your "other" car (aka musclecar) today

RyanbabZ71

Well, the AC installer looked over the car. He recommends a new evap and condenser, they have a new style that work a lot better than the last gen.

Also, he noticed my CV-1 heads don't have a bracket holes drilled, so he has to call the race shop that makes them to see if he can just drill it or needs to make a bracket. He said one option could be to pull the head and send it to the makers to ready it, I told him I'd rather just have a bracket made. He said due to the unique situation (mounting an AC on what is basically a custom race motor) he wants to start some work, get some things before he can give me a good estimate, in case something else needs to be done he isn't seeing now(the old AC lines in firewall for instance). I told him to go ahead and start.

Wife got me this for my birthday

9ysajy5y.jpg

That's must be a keeper, I found that its cheaper to buy someone masterpiece than to build my own. I get bored in about three years then sell and look for something else.

It needs a few things, I'm doing right away. After that It'll stay the same for a while and in a year or two I might start a major exterior and interior ( blast it down to bare metal then all new paint, repaint dash). Its pretty good shape, just some little things. Its close to 50 years old, so that's to be expected unless your paying HIGH 5 figures for an early f body.

I didn't want a perfect car. I wanted a car I could so stuff too and play with in the future.

I'm thinking when I get my little quarter issue fixed next month I might have them repaint behind the back wheels. The paint has taken a beating back there.

Oh, heh, a new Camaro SS with a heritage grille was behind me at a stop light. I was casually driving through the intersection and had just hit 2nd gear with my OD on when I noticed he was right on my bumper, front of the car raised up a bit like he was running me down and wanted me to do SOMETHING. I gunned it, it stayed in 2nd and layed rubber for a little over a second I got some distance and let off. He seemed satisfied with that.

Edited by SnakeEyes

I accidently bought an original 64 Elcamino a few years ago. I didn't know and it wasn't sold to me as original, off an considment lot. 327, 250hp 4speed, black factory air. I got it for half of what a regular Chevelle would have been. I played with it for about 3 years and put it on ebay for sale. One guy emailed to check out the engine code, I told him im sure its a 350 transplant. I should of had a clue with the canister oil filter still on it. I was sick. the way I beat that thing, and race it, I really felt ashamed and not worthy. I didn't hurt it and it went to a good home and is well cared for now. The funny part about the whole thing is one guy from Florida called wanted it bad, I told him to pay the reserve and its his, he didn't it went for twice that and he called me later crying that he lost it.

It needs a few things, I'm doing right away. After that It'll stay the same for a while and in a year or two I might start a major exterior and interior ( blast it down to bare metal then all new paint, repaint dash). Its pretty good shape, just some little things. Its close to 50 years old, so that's to be expected unless your paying HIGH 5 figures for an early f body.

I didn't want a perfect car. I wanted a car I could so stuff too and play with in the future.

I'm thinking when I get my little quarter issue fixed next month I might have them repaint behind the back wheels. The paint has taken a beating back there.

Oh, heh, a new Camaro SS with a heritage grille was behind me at a stop light. I was casually driving through the intersection and had just hit 2nd gear with my OD on when I noticed he was right on my bumper, front of the car raised up a bit like he was running me down and wanted me to do SOMETHING. I gunned it, it stayed in 2nd and layed rubber for a little over a second I got some distance and let off. He seemed satisfied with that.

I found in the mid 70s a 69 firebird conv. for my brother in laws first car, 350 reg. firebird. I had a 74 nova custom with the ss package. That firebird blew my doors off so bad it coused me to switch to Buicks and Pontiacs for awhile. 67 thru 69 are the best looking birds ever made in my humble opinion. He still has it getting ready for it second rebuild to more of a retro ride with disks brakes and AC.

Just got the estimates.

1200~ to install the system using what I have and replacing what needs to be

1400~ the above but upgrading to the gen-IV condenser and evaporator.

3200~ upgrading almost everything in the car to gen-iv VA system. Basically just keep the compressor.

3600~ upgrading EVERYTHING to Gen-IV.

I'm going with the 1400 option. He said the main upgrade to the gen IV would be electronic controls, which also control the blend door and seperate the AC and heat system. I asked if its $2000+ better, he said no. I say I'll keep the cable controls since every electronic blend door fails with time, and are a bigger pain and more expensive to fix when they do.

If I want to upgrade later on he said all that would be left to work on or change would be in the firewall or dash so I'd be paying that $2000 difference then(actually less since if I do it now I'd be replacing good parts)

"Stock". Haha

Ryan

Yeah, he called the head manufacturer and talked to the guy who made the CV-1 heads. He told the guy what he was working on and said the guy knew immediately what car they were talking about, and he knew a LOT about it.

He asked how the previous owner ever got an "oil problem" fixed. Appearently the guy used some low tension piston rings and had to fit the vaccum pump to stabilize the system. That pump is what is complicating the AC install, and so they are thinking that everything about the vaccum pump is very specific and needs to be left alone.

I just HAD to go buy a street legal race car.

Edited by SnakeEyes