Pulling Experience, 2014 6.2 vs 6.6 diesel in a towing / Daily driver

OmahaBen

I am going to post this as its own topic as well.

I found a 2014 Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4 Crew Reg Bed 6.2 Max Tow (3.73)

Just got it home tonight.

Overwhelmed and seriously impressed with the fuel economy and the quality of the truck.

Coming from a 2004 Silverado Ext Cab 5.3 3.42 truck it is a leap and a half. The two trucks aren't even comparable. From suspension, to ride height, to fit and finish and power and mileage, technology.

The new truck rides nice and smooth but yet is very stable and rigid. It is hard to explain.

I flew to St Louis and drove home to Omaha today. According to the computer I got 19.0 MPG. Hand calculated I got 20.14 going 69-72 mph all the way home. From Kansas City to Omaha is up hill all the way. I drive that route several times a year and going from Omaha to KC (south) I always get better mileage with my old 2004 5.3. The mileage always drops (north uphill) From KC to Omaha. I expect with no trailer 22 mpg is acheivable going that way south with the 2014 6.2 3.73 combo.

When I picked up the truck it had 15 miles on it and a full tank of fuel. I made it roughly 444 miles and to fill the tank was 22 Gallons. Lets say 429 miles /22 gallons that is a true 19.5. (I am not sure when exactly the tank was filled)

Tomorrow I will get a chance to take it on a 1000 mile trip on its first tow. I plan to keep a spreadsheet of mileage during towing vs not and try to keep track of fuel economy. We will also do this for my daily commute. I will do both the computer and hand calculated and will use the highest rating fuel possible.

I found the information on this forum very helpful in selecting my pickup. I want to provide others with better documented information.

Was very tempted to buy a 2015, 5.3 3.42. I am very glad I got the 6.2 3.73 now.

I really hope the ownership of this continues to go as well as the first 500 miles.

Interested in the results of this trip and the mileage [emoji106]

I don't know man, I got a new (to me) welding rig couple months back. It's 2003 Duramax SLT, fully loaded. I find the interior MUCH more comfortable and user friendly than my current loaded 2500hd. The 03-06 interiors were the absolute best IMO. I miss my 06 interior! One to eaches own I suppose

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to post this as its own topic as well.

I found a 2014 Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4 Crew Reg Bed 6.2 Max Tow (3.73)

Just got it home tonight.

Overwhelmed and seriously impressed with the fuel economy and the quality of the truck.

Coming from a 2004 Silverado Ext Cab 5.3 3.42 truck it is a leap and a half. The two trucks aren't even comparable. From suspension, to ride height, to fit and finish and power and mileage, technology.

The new truck rides nice and smooth but yet is very stable and rigid. It is hard to explain.

I flew to St Louis and drove home to Omaha today. According to the computer I got 19.0 MPG. Hand calculated I got 20.14 going 69-72 mph all the way home. From Kansas City to Omaha is up hill all the way. I drive that route several times a year and going from Omaha to KC (south) I always get better mileage with my old 2004 5.3. The mileage always drops (north uphill) From KC to Omaha. I expect with no trailer 22 mpg is acheivable going that way south with the 2014 6.2 3.73 combo.

When I picked up the truck it had 15 miles on it and a full tank of fuel. I made it roughly 444 miles and to fill the tank was 22 Gallons. Lets say 429 miles /22 gallons that is a true 19.5. (I am not sure when exactly the tank was filled)

Tomorrow I will get a chance to take it on a 1000 mile trip on its first tow. I plan to keep a spreadsheet of mileage during towing vs not and try to keep track of fuel economy. We will also do this for my daily commute. I will do both the computer and hand calculated and will use the highest rating fuel possible.

I found the information on this forum very helpful in selecting my pickup. I want to provide others with better documented information.

Was very tempted to buy a 2015, 5.3 3.42. I am very glad I got the 6.2 3.73 now.

I really hope the ownership of this continues to go as well as the first 500 miles.

That's awesome u found one. I got the last 5.3 LTZ with 3.73 gears max tow in my area. I love it. [emoji106] if I was someone wanting a 6.2 I would get or look for a 14 with 3.73 gears since they don't even offer that in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

2014 Sierra 1500 SLT, 4x4 6.2 Max Tow, 3.73 Crew Cab, Regular Box 6.5ft.

First 443 Miles 22 Gallons Averaging about 71 MPH (No Trailer), 20.14 MPG Hand Cal, 19 DIC

Second 123 Miles 8 Gallons 65% HWY No Trailer, 35% Towing 3500lb Trailer, 15.37 MPG Hand Calc, 16.4 DIC

Third 247.6 Miles 19.3 Gallons 100% Towing 3500lb Trailer @ 72-73 MPH, 12.8 MPG Hand Calc, 13.6 DIC

I think the trend we are going to see is that the computer figures about 1 MPG more.

The First run could be off because it had 15 miles on it and not sure when it was filled. And I don't know if they used 91 or not.

I have about 1000 miles on it after two days. By the time I get home and get done running around down here I should be at 2000 or so.

While going up several of the Steeper Grades between Nebraska City and St. Joesph MO the transmission did downshift and the RPMs only hit 2500.

This easily pulls what I need with almost no stress and does not constantly hunt gears.

It seems more like a light duty 3/4 ton than a 1/2 ton.

I'm the same way, I like how it's laid out... Maybe cause I've had it 3 years?

I like how the cruise was on the older trucks on the turn signal lever. I also liked how my 04 had the volume and seek buttons on the front of the steering wheel.

• 1 month later...

2014 Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4 Crew Reg Bed 6.2 Max Tow (3.73)

Running Empty 65-70mph I get 19-20mpg hand calculated

Running Empty 75 mph I get 17mpg hand calculated

Combined driving around town and some hwy 15-16mpg hand calculated

Towing 3500lb trailer I get 12-14mpg towing 70mph speed.

I do run premium

We did have a slight vibration issue and after them doing a road force balance on all the wheels and replacing one wheel and tire this is 80% fixed. Slightly noticable at 75mph and above. The dealer is getting the vibration analyzing tool and we will take back in to try to correct a bit more. Other than this the truck is awesome.

One other thing I would note. This truck is rated to tow 11,700lbs. I have towed my 6000 trailer several times and it works the engine through the RPMs pretty good. If I had a trailer bigger than 8000lbs I would highly consider getting a duramax and a 2500/3500 and was pulling on a daily basis.

I choose the 1500 so it would ride better and weigh less. Compared to my 2004 1500 my 2014 1500 feels much bigger and more stable. It is definitely a heavy half ton or light duty 3/4 ton as they used to call them with the max tow package.

I would never pull a 10,000 trailer unless I was going to run 55mph or less. Even though it may be engineered to do this I don't believe it to be safe. My thought is to always buy equipment with more than you need so you aren't lugging the hell out of your equipment.

One of the most important things to consider if planning to tow heavy hasn't been mentioned here (or I missed it)

Brakes.

The 11 and up HD trucks has massive service brakes compared to previous HD's and of course, compared to a 1/2 ton.

The 11 and up Dmax also comes with an exhaust brake. Extremely useful in hilly terrain.

FWIW, duramaxes come equipped with 3.73 rear ends and allison automatics. They no longer offer a manual, and there are no optional rear ends.

My towing needs have changed, so after several dmaxes I'm trying a 6.2.

One other thing I would note. This truck is rated to tow 11,700lbs. I have towed my 6000 trailer several times and it works the engine through the RPMs pretty good. If I had a trailer bigger than 8000lbs I would highly consider getting a duramax and a 2500/3500 and was pulling on a daily basis.

I choose the 1500 so it would ride better and weigh less. Compared to my 2004 1500 my 2014 1500 feels much bigger and more stable. It is definitely a heavy half ton or light duty 3/4 ton as they used to call them with the max tow package.

I would never pull a 10,000 trailer unless I was going to run 55mph or less. Even though it may be engineered to do this I don't believe it to be safe. My thought is to always buy equipment with more than you need so you aren't lugging the hell out of your equipment.

what axle ratio do u have?

Sent from my iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

One of the most important things to consider if planning to tow heavy hasn't been mentioned here (or I missed it)

Brakes.

The 11 and up HD trucks has massive service brakes compared to previous HD's and of course, compared to a 1/2 ton.

The 11 and up Dmax also comes with an exhaust brake. Extremely useful in hilly terrain.

FWIW, duramaxes come equipped with 3.73 rear ends and allison automatics. They no longer offer a manual, and there are no optional rear ends.

My towing needs have changed, so after several dmaxes I'm trying a 6.2.

When I am pulling my trailers there is some sort of brake assist or engine brake like device I my 2014 Sierra.

I have noticed it when taking the exit ramp faster. Not sure what it is called but I was very pleased with this feature when it showed up.

(I had no idea my truck had this)

Even If I got the 5.3 I would insist on the max tow now. I love having the lower gears and the mileage decrease is minimal.

There is no arguing that the 2500s and above will have bigger brakes, bearings, heavier frames. Wider spring packs, Bigger ring gear/axles and rearend housing.

Just saying it is surprising to me how much capability into the 1500 trucks with max tow.

Ben,

Great post and follow up. This is a lot of information that should provide answers and comparisons for many of us.

Not to hijack post, but some followers may have advice for my situation. My towing needs are a little heavier than yours. I just bgt a 2002 2500 crew 4x4 GAS 6.0, 4.11 gears. My 48 hp Deere, loader & cutter is about 6000 lbs, new trailer will be about 3000 lbs. I did not know my new mowing business would be using tractor so much. I like this truck, but I think I should have a diesel pulling 9-10,000 lbs around town. Cost per mile concerning fuel is about the same. 10 mpg w gas equals 14 mpg diesel at current cost of 2.25/3.25. I'm not sure of diesel mileage, but I always record mine. Truck will have to be an 01-05 due to cost. The unknown maintenance cost & higher repair cost of a diesel are my concerns. Does anyone have a direct comparison for this? Once again, great information you have provided w/out all the B/S just because you like your truck.

Thank you.

Ben,

Great post and follow up. This is a lot of information that should provide answers and comparisons for many of us.

Not to hijack post, but some followers may have advice for my situation. My towing needs are a little heavier than yours. I just bgt a 2002 2500 crew 4x4 GAS 6.0, 4.11 gears. My 48 hp Deere, loader & cutter is about 6000 lbs, new trailer will be about 3000 lbs. I did not know my new mowing business would be using tractor so much. I like this truck, but I think I should have a diesel pulling 9-10,000 lbs around town. Cost per mile concerning fuel is about the same. 10 mpg w gas equals 14 mpg diesel at current cost of 2.25/3.25. I'm not sure of diesel mileage, but I always record mine. Truck will have to be an 01-05 due to cost. The unknown maintenance cost & higher repair cost of a diesel are my concerns. Does anyone have a direct comparison for this? Once again, great information you have provided w/out all the B/S just because you like your truck.

Thank you.

most people are biased towards gas or diesel, just the way it it. But if you are 10k, I would highly reccomend a diesel... Towing 6k with an older 6.0 is do-able, but it won't be enjoyable and you will get terrible MPG. Yes diesel is more expensive and the MPG's you get with a diesel towing will only a little better but the truck will not be struggling and you won't be killing your trans.... And as for maintnence.. Oil changes may be more expensive but if your driving a diesel paying 30 extra to change your oil should be irrelevant. IMO

most people are biased towards gas or diesel, just the way it it. But if you are 10k, I would highly reccomend a diesel... Towing 6k with an older 6.0 is do-able, but it won't be enjoyable and you will get terrible MPG. Yes diesel is more expensive and the MPG's you get with a diesel towing will only a little better but the truck will not be struggling and you won't be killing your trans.... And as for maintnence.. Oil changes may be more expensive but if your driving a diesel paying 30 extra to change your oil should be irrelevant. IMO

Ben,

Thank you.

I posted this information because when I was looking at the 6.2 I couldn't find concrete evidence of the fuel economy. The EPA says it is supposed to get 17MPG combined and I think that is a very fair number. I wanted to be helpful and provide accurate numbers for all to see.

Gas mileage of a vehicle is a lot like gambling winnings.. People always brag about the money they have won; they don't even tell you how much they have lost to win that. I feel it is the same way with gas mileage. I have seen several posts on here bragging about mileage and I was iritated by it. Hand calculating is the only way to get precise mileage numbers, the DIC is a great reference but I just take .75mpg off and that is my rough mileage.

In a perfect scenario I would bet I could get 21 MPG on the highway if I was going down a grade with a tailwind at 65mph. Lets not speculate.

If I was doing what you are I would definitely get a diesel and a 2500/3500. I would probably look for a 3500 non-dually.

I could have gotten a 2011/2012 Duramax truck in the same config for roughly the same money as I paid for my 6.2 Sierra.

For what I do I got the right tool.

I should have bought the smaller tractor & just changed gears in my 1500. I like driving & parking it better. My 05 1500 was about 1 mpg high on display. 2500 has been 7.9 to 10.8. It should improve as I have changed plugs, wires, knock sensors and O2s are on the way. Those always helped my other trucks.

Ben, you are right about folks fluffing their mpg. 2 days back, an 06 3500 dually diesel driver said he got 17 pulling a 4 horse trailer and 22 empty. He may have, but that seems a bit high to me. I think the diesel will be the tool I need.

8 mpg w/ the 6.0 gas towing so far. Any real #s out there on what the diesel will do in the suburbs & surface roads around town?

I think a 6 speed in my truck would satisfy me for towing. Do you think that made the difference in your towing & also empty mpg?

thanks

Archived