Pulling Experience, 2014 6.2 vs 6.6 diesel in a towing / Daily driver

OmahaBen

However since I daily drive at least 65% of the time I want something that gets pretty good mileage when not pulling. 19 Miles each way 38 miles per day. Mixed City/Hwy

The two trailers I pull are bumper hitch and weigh roughly 3000lbs and 6000lbs. I don't pull the 6000 as much since we got the newer 3000lb trailer unit.

For that use there is absolutely no need for a diesel. Not remotely. The 6.2 will pull those trailers without breaking a sweat, you'll forget the trailer is back there. If you want a diesel for some other reason (and there's nothing wrong with that), that would be the only reason to get one for that application.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 2014 Silverado with a 6.2 engine and the max trailering package. I pull a 8x16 enclosed trailer 100 miles every weekend to the race track. It weighs about 5,000lbs. I average about 12 mpg pulling it. When I am not towing and just driving around town I average about 16.5 mpg. Straight up highway driving I averaged 20.6 mpg.

• 3 weeks later...

Diesels are terrible for everything but towing 12,000 lb. trailer loads are greater on the open highway. For any other use a gas engine is better and a lot cheaper to buy and 75% cheaper to maintain and 75% cheaper to repair. Diesel has been selling for more than premium most of the past several years so that offsets half of any increase in MPG. I have a 2500HD Duramax so I know first hand the drawbacks and added costs involved.

Usually the excessive downshifting is from having gears that are too high. The engine is outside its peak torque RPM and has to downshift to get it back up. There is a reason that GM rates the towing capacity of the same truck with 3.42 gears 25% higher with 3.73 gears and trucks with 4.10 gears are rated 25% higher than the one that comes with 3.73 gears. My last SUV was a Chevy Tahoe with a 4-speed transmission and 4.10 gears and over the 170,000 miles I drove it over the mountains and around town and towing a 4,000 lb. trailer the average fuel economy was a little over 16 MPG.

Once you add a tow load to a vehicle the taller gears work against the engine and there is more time spent outside its optimum RPMS and there is more lugging and more transmission shifting and none of this is conducive to maximizing fuel economy.

Ram has a 1500 class pickup with a small diesel engine that is supposed to get great fuel economy but it also has half the horsepower and half the torque of any of the gas engines they put in these same trucks so it is not an apples to apples comparison.

Diesels are terrible for everything but towing 12,000 lb. trailer loads are greater on the open highway. For any other use a gas engine is better and a lot cheaper to buy and 75% cheaper to maintain and 75% cheaper to repair. Diesel has been selling for more than premium most of the past several years so that offsets half of any increase in MPG. I have a 2500HD Duramax so I know first hand the drawbacks and added costs involved.

Usually the excessive downshifting is from having gears that are too high. The engine is outside its peak torque RPM and has to downshift to get it back up. There is a reason that GM rates the towing capacity of the same truck with 3.42 gears 25% higher with 3.73 gears and trucks with 4.10 gears are rated 25% higher than the one that comes with 3.73 gears. My last SUV was a Chevy Tahoe with a 4-speed transmission and 4.10 gears and over the 170,000 miles I drove it over the mountains and around town and towing a 4,000 lb. trailer the average fuel economy was a little over 16 MPG.

Once you add a tow load to a vehicle the taller gears work against the engine and there is more time spent outside its optimum RPMS and there is more lugging and more transmission shifting and none of this is conducive to maximizing fuel economy.

Ram has a 1500 class pickup with a small diesel engine that is supposed to get great fuel economy but it also has half the horsepower and half the torque of any of the gas engines they put in these same trucks so it is not an apples to apples comparison.

75% cheaper to maintain??? Ummm I dunno about that one.

Fuel filters are cheap and you can go a lot longer between service intervals. DEF fluid might cost you $15 every 10-15k or so

What about the resale value of the vehicle? You will get a much higher price when it comes to trading it in too don't forget that...

75% cheaper to maintain??? Ummm I dunno about that one.

Fuel filters are cheap and you can go a lot longer between service intervals. DEF fluid might cost you $15 every 10-15k or so

What about the resale value of the vehicle? You will get a much higher price when it comes to trading it in too don't forget that...

Idk how he got 75 percent cheaper to maintain. Oil changes are more expensive by a bit and def is 17 dollars every 2 or 3 months.

Idk how he got 75 percent cheaper to maintain. Oil changes are more expensive by a bit and def is 17 dollars every 2 or 3 months.

My 6 litre chev cost me about $50 to do oil change, Duramax is about $70-80 that with a fuel filter too

BUT I go 5000k longer and change fuel filter every other service

2014 silverados recommended scheduled maintenance is change oil every 7,500 miles and it's only been 29.99 with tire rotation at my local chevy dealership. Very cheap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A 5.3 with 3.73 gears is all you'll need. Pulls awesome and rated at 11,800 with that set up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the best scenario is to stick with the 6.2 1/2 ton. If you're not pulling more than the 6,000lb trailer (which you said is only SOMETIMES anyways), then you won't find the added benefit of a diesel 3/4 ton truck.

My work truck is a 1 ton RAM with the Cummins. Has almost 400,000 miles on it....with the stock clutch. Replaced fuel injectors once, other than that it is bone stock and all original. It also REGULARLY tows 16,000lb trailers....which is what it is designed to do. A guy at work has a 3/4 RAM with a Cummins and never tows anything with it. He is constantly having problems with it, and I'm almost 1,000,000% sure it's because he's not using it like he's supposed to. Sure, it looks cool, but it's costing him a lot of money to do it.

Have you thought about a 3/4 ton gasser? I have one with almost 300,000 miles.....no problems! Tows occasionally, around 8,000lbs.

Yes I have thought about the 2500HD 6.0.

I just weighed my truck and trailer this weekend on a scale and full of fuel it is right at 9400lbs. I have weighed the truck empty and it is right at 5700 ish. Ext Cab 1500 4x4.

Minus me and my child that puts my trailer at about 3450lbs.

The curb weight of a 2500HD 6.0 is 7294 plus me 220lbs and the 3450 trailer 10964.

I need to stay below 10,000lbs otherwise there are new hoops to jump through, since it is used to make money not for recreation.

The other trailer (6000) hardly gets used anymore. In fact may be selling it since it will bump me over the 10000lb rule.

I really am leaning towards a 5.3 or 6.2 with the max towing. The 3.73s will help and even if I go with the 5.3 is is quite a jump in power from my 2004 5.3.

I don't think I will try the 8 speed. So if I get a 6.2 I will find a left over 2014 or used one. If I get the 5.3 I will probably get a 2015 model GMC SLT.

Thanks for everyones input.

I think the best scenario is to stick with the 6.2 1/2 ton. If you're not pulling more than the 6,000lb trailer (which you said is only SOMETIMES anyways), then you won't find the added benefit of a diesel 3/4 ton truck.

My work truck is a 1 ton RAM with the Cummins. Has almost 400,000 miles on it....with the stock clutch. Replaced fuel injectors once, other than that it is bone stock and all original. It also REGULARLY tows 16,000lb trailers....which is what it is designed to do. A guy at work has a 3/4 RAM with a Cummins and never tows anything with it. He is constantly having problems with it, and I'm almost 1,000,000% sure it's because he's not using it like he's supposed to. Sure, it looks cool, but it's costing him a lot of money to do it.

Have you thought about a 3/4 ton gasser? I have one with almost 300,000 miles.....no problems! Tows occasionally, around 8,000lbs.

I wan't saying you are annoying. I just can't stand when the transmission has to downshift to allow the engine to make the hill. Agreed a diesel would be great probably won't go that route.

its a six speed and soon to come an eight speed it's made to shift gears of you don't want it to shift get an old 3 speed

its a six speed and soon to come an eight speed it's made to shift gears of you don't want it to shift get an old 3 speed

When I place my order for the new truck I will put 3 speed in the other section and put a checkmark by it :)

I am going to post this as its own topic as well.

I found a 2014 Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4 Crew Reg Bed 6.2 Max Tow (3.73)

Just got it home tonight.

Overwhelmed and seriously impressed with the fuel economy and the quality of the truck.

Coming from a 2004 Silverado Ext Cab 5.3 3.42 truck it is a leap and a half. The two trucks aren't even comparable. From suspension, to ride height, to fit and finish and power and mileage, technology.

The new truck rides nice and smooth but yet is very stable and rigid. It is hard to explain.

I flew to St Louis and drove home to Omaha today. According to the computer I got 19.0 MPG. Hand calculated I got 20.14 going 69-72 mph all the way home. From Kansas City to Omaha is up hill all the way. I drive that route several times a year and going from Omaha to KC (south) I always get better mileage with my old 2004 5.3. The mileage always drops (north uphill) From KC to Omaha. I expect with no trailer 22 mpg is acheivable going that way south with the 2014 6.2 3.73 combo.

When I picked up the truck it had 15 miles on it and a full tank of fuel. I made it roughly 444 miles and to fill the tank was 22 Gallons. Lets say 429 miles /22 gallons that is a true 19.5. (I am not sure when exactly the tank was filled)

Tomorrow I will get a chance to take it on a 1000 mile trip on its first tow. I plan to keep a spreadsheet of mileage during towing vs not and try to keep track of fuel economy. We will also do this for my daily commute. I will do both the computer and hand calculated and will use the highest rating fuel possible.

I found the information on this forum very helpful in selecting my pickup. I want to provide others with better documented information.

Was very tempted to buy a 2015, 5.3 3.42. I am very glad I got the 6.2 3.73 now.

I really hope the ownership of this continues to go as well as the first 500 miles.

Archived