Glasspack on 2014 sierra or silverado?

Hey everyone, pretty new here, been into building and modifying subaru's the last 10 years, but after purchasing a 2014 that seemed to just be a lemon I pulled the trigger on a 14 sierra with all the bells and whistles. Grew up on chevy trucks and glad to be back, never been happier with a vehicle.

Anyways my question is I would like to make the truck sound like a truck, without drone, or spending a ton of money. I couldn't find a topic on glasspacks, so I apologize if there is one out there.

I have read a lot on the exhaust valve that engages in 4 cylinder mode, and not sure if I want to modify it yet, but I can't imagine it helps with exhaust flow by any means.

My question is, has anyone done a glasspack on the forum yet? I love the crackle of the old glasspack style exhausts I always had on my older silverado's and am curious. If so how did installation go, and any tips or advice?

I have seen guys just gut the mid muffler and do a straight pipe and it sounds great, but was thinking a glasspack might be that sound I am looking for more.

Would love to see any pics or video's you may have, or any advice you may have, thanks in advance!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, pretty new here, been into building and modifying subaru's the last 10 years, but after purchasing a 2014 that seemed to just be a lemon I pulled the trigger on a 14 sierra with all the bells and whistles. Grew up on chevy trucks and glad to be back, never been happier with a vehicle.

Anyways my question is I would like to make the truck sound like a truck, without drone, or spending a ton of money. I couldn't find a topic on glasspacks, so I apologize if there is one out there.

I have read a lot on the exhaust valve that engages in 4 cylinder mode, and not sure if I want to modify it yet, but I can't imagine it helps with exhaust flow by any means.

My question is, has anyone done a glasspack on the forum yet? I love the crackle of the old glasspack style exhausts I always had on my older silverado's and am curious. If so how did installation go, and any tips or advice?

I have seen guys just gut the mid muffler and do a straight pipe and it sounds great, but was thinking a glasspack might be that sound I am looking for more.

Would love to see any pics or video's you may have, or any advice you may have, thanks in advance!

I allways go to a custom bender for my exhaust same guy for 30 years. We got it up on the lift and saw all the cats and resonator and all and cut the muffler off to start. Sounds like a quite glass pack exhaust, I left it like that, a little rumble at cruise sounds good at full song. To add a muffler of any kind would just make it quiet, unless you pull cats or the resonator. First time I didn't split the exhaust, couldn't see the point.

Good to know. I have noticed that the newer model years have so much more cat converters that it does muffle the sound enough to usually be tolerable. I just do a lot of highway driving and really don't want any drone at all. Thanks for the heads up. Were you able to run a "test pipe" where the muffler used to be straight or did you have to put a bend into it?

I'm partial to the Corsa exhausts. I have their lower cost dB kit on my 2011 and it's great because under normal throttle it's just a nice rumble, not much louder than stock. But when you stomp on it, it makes a great sound. Especially in tunnels. :lol:

Good to know. I have noticed that the newer model years have so much more cat converters that it does muffle the sound enough to usually be tolerable. I just do a lot of highway driving and really don't want any drone at all. Thanks for the heads up. Were you able to run a "test pipe" where the muffler used to be straight or did you have to put a bend into it?

My bender put a pipe in place of the muffler. I had him straiten out the tail pipe and put a tip on it. Its pretty quiet at high way speeds, but you will hear the V4 sound as you will in most custom exhaust.

You have a couple of options. leave it stock, get a tune, ive read on here the performance GM exhaust for big bucks addresses it. They must chamber the flo to mask it. You can put your truck in M5 drive it up to 65 MPH or so and lock out the V4. There is a plug in product called the range, mix reviews on that. Its not that bad at hwy speeds unless you go real loud on the exhaust.

I don't want to mess with the tune as I can't afford voiding the warranty. And keeping in m5 for the amount of highway driving wouldn't be the best long term solution for me. I would love to hear how bad it is I guess. Sigh, may just have to stay stock and deal with it.

i woud avoid any glasspack muffler as they are not good quality and in my honest opinion they sound like dog S***. you would be better off just running a straight pipe but again i wouldnt recommend that bc to me it sounds like ass, no tune to it just noise. some people like that though, to each their own.

O boy the ass guy again, every one has their preference. Ive had every kind of exhaust, even strait. My 92 has edelbrock headers high flo cats 3.5 inch duals 2 chambered and glass packs. I guess the 383, dart heads, MSD, Wipple S/C with 10lbs of boost, sounds like ass to some people. Some people mite like it. Same with the muffler delete on the 14. The junkie glass packs are ten years old, same with the rest of the exhaust.

I had glasspacks on my old silverador for 10 years and never rusted out or had issues with them. Personally I like them with the v8 chevy's but this exhaust valving makes it a whole different ball game. I might just have to give it a try and see how it goes.

I have a low resistance glasspack. I love it, it sounds great and better yet it was free... By brother in law has a shop and had two of them he put one on his and mine. The exact name is a unknown to me it was a performance racing glasspack is what i was told. Nevertheless I love it and it sounds MEAN. Its turned down before the axle. The drone is only bad at 70-75+ on the highway. I know what others are saying about the copper behind you. But honestly where i live, it may kick in to 4cy mode half a dozen times but quickly comes out of it because of the terrain or traffic. I live in east Texas, not alot of flat roads and when i commute to work not alot of chances over 75 mph becuase fo traffic either. Honestly i dont see what the big fuss about the drone is but im not an exhaust guy i am a speaker guy so i can relate to people having their preferences of sounds. I can take some pics of what was done if you want to see how it was done.

Archived