5.3 with 3.08 vs 3.42

Best bet is probably to trade your truck in for one with a 3.42, the swap is very expensive for a 4x4

I think he would lose more than it would cost to swap gears even for a 4x4. Assuming all you have to do is change the ring and pinion and not the whole diff. It should only be about $500 for the ring and pinions for both axles and then whatever the labor would be. I'm guessing it shouldn't be more than $1,000 for it all.

I think he would lose more than it would cost to swap gears even for a 4x4. Assuming all you have to do is change the ring and pinion and not the whole diff. It should only be about $500 for the ring and pinions for both axles and then whatever the labor would be. I'm guessing it shouldn't be more than $1,000 for it all.

Well if that is the case I stand corrected! Maybe I should have a 3.73 put in my truck!

I just drove my Truck yesterday the first time, after is has been arrived in germany.

We had a 300 Km trip on the German- Autobahn and i thought it would be a nightmare, but it was not.

For shure the tranny shiftet uphill sometimes down to fourth gear, but thats ok when you try doing 120- 150 Km/h.

The truck needed about 12,5 liter of gas for 100 km distance and thats just fine.

The power from standing stop is not really big, but as soon you get it goinig, it revs up and pushes quick to 159 Km/h. At this speed the speedlimiter hits in and the fun is over.

I think in my way of driving a good tune by Lew/ Diablew will do its job. and the first things will be to turn the speedlimiter off!

For pulling a trailer it´s another story, but again, it has 6 gears and a tow/haul button, so let the tranny do its work. Just watch the trans.temp.

Anyway, it a very nice Truck i´m happy.

and the gears can be swapped maybe in future.

have a save trip all of you and i give more informations after i put on the tune

so long Franky

That's what I plan on changing mine to. I hate the 3.08s.

I have a 3.42 in my truck now and it's plenty snappy with my 4.3L but, I'd like to have a 6.2 w/ a 3.73 better :-D

The first Diablo Tune is now on (with our Euro Super Plus 98 octane gas in the tank) and there is allready a good difference what i feel.

It seems to push the Truck a lot better from standing stop, the lazy acceleration is gone. it revs up quickly!

the throttle response ist way better, but still not perfect. maybe Lewis can change that also for me.

The V4 mod turns on fairly often when cruising, so thats working fine.

Soon there will be the first datalogging and i´m looking forward what Lewis can make out of it.

We will see how the 3.08 gears get going then.

keep on this theard!

so long Franky

• 2 weeks later...

I have a GMC 3.08 and a Chevy 3.42 both 2014. Daily driving it's not noticeable but I'm not flooring it from light to light. I don't tow more than 5,000 lbs. so that's not an issue either.

In that case send me your 3.42s and I'll send you the 3.08s in mine after I get them swapped. Won't be 3.73s but good enough lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I was just reading through threads containing 3.08 gears. My 2016 2LT Z71 Double Cab 4x4 5.3 6 spd with 3.08 is my first real "truck." I've had smaller mini trucks like a Dakota, and a K5 once, so I never done a lot of towing with my own personal truck, just others. My truck has the trailer rating of 6,200 lbs, so definitely not the optimal towing platform "on paper." I will say this, whenever I need to trailer, the truck is no slouch. There are times just driving to and from work that I wish I had a higher gear to improve acceleration, but it absolutely isn't a deal breaker. I've hauled three cars in the piedmont of North Carolina, so some hills and some flat land, and it honestly pulls like a 3/4 ton. The truck is very smooth and acts like it likes to have a load behind it. Two of the cars were around 3,000 lbs, and the other was a 4,500 lb Mercury Marauder land yacht. The trailer I pull is every bit of 2,000 lbs empty, a 16' Hudson Equipment Trailer. I've also had 2 tons of brick chips on the trailer as well, so that would be 4 instances I've had 5,000-6,500 lbs behind the truck, and it does just fine. Don't get caught up with the hype of having to have the best of everything on the order sheet. Now, I'm not saying don't opt for a 3.42 or 3.73 truck, but if a great deal comes on a 3.08 like I got, don't be scared of the high ratio. If you occasionally pull like I do, and use the truck like a half ton is intended to be used (a homeowner/light duty truck for occasional hauling in my eyes) you'll be just fine. Hope that helps.

12 minutes ago, Chevrojayy97 said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I was just reading through threads containing 3.08 gears. My 2016 2LT Z71 Double Cab 4x4 5.3 6 spd with 3.08 is my first real "truck." I've had smaller mini trucks like a Dakota, and a K5 once, so I never done a lot of towing with my own personal truck, just others. My truck has the trailer rating of 6,200 lbs, so definitely not the optimal towing platform "on paper." I will say this, whenever I need to trailer, the truck is no slouch. There are times just driving to and from work that I wish I had a higher gear to improve acceleration, but it absolutely isn't a deal breaker. I've hauled three cars in the piedmont of North Carolina, so some hills and some flat land, and it honestly pulls like a 3/4 ton. The truck is very smooth and acts like it likes to have a load behind it. Two of the cars were around 3,000 lbs, and the other was a 4,500 lb Mercury Marauder land yacht. The trailer I pull is every bit of 2,000 lbs empty, a 16' Hudson Equipment Trailer. I've also had 2 tons of brick chips on the trailer as well, so that would be 4 instances I've had 5,000-6,500 lbs behind the truck, and it does just fine. Don't get caught up with the hype of having to have the best of everything on the order sheet. Now, I'm not saying don't opt for a 3.42 or 3.73 truck, but if a great deal comes on a 3.08 like I got, don't be scared of the high ratio. If you occasionally pull like I do, and use the truck like a half ton is intended to be used (a homeowner/light duty truck for occasional hauling in my eyes) you'll be just fine. Hope that helps.

Also, if I do highway trips around 50-65mph, I'll see an average of 22.5-23 mpg no issue, and I don't baby it. In town I rarely see lower than 17 mpg. That's running 87 octane, no tune, no intake, I just have a glasspack muffler in place of the stock. Towing 6,000 lbs, I would usually get 12-13 mpg.

Archived