Heated steering wheel

I was looking at the issue this past week. I stand corrected as the connector is a 2 conductor plug off of the clock spring. The factory connector is up high in the dash behind the cluster it looks like. I did confirm the plug needs a 12V ignition switched source on one wire (violet/white) and the other wire (Black) is a ground on the plug. It looks like there is no terminated lead available for this plug so you have to get to the plug on the harness (if it's there) or cut the plug off of the clock spring and connect as described. I did test it and it works, so I will be sourcing some sort of 2 conductor plug and wiring it directly to a keyed 12V source.

Mine came in yesterday. The ground side is normally tied in with the rest of the grounds from the clock spring for things like the left and right control switches. Black wire number 1050, from the diagram it actually ties in before it gets to any connector, so I am going to tap right into the harness past the clock spring for ground.

The left leg is from the l/r control buttons, the right leg is from the heater module.

post-148500-0-51247000-1443011065.jpg

The power is another issue, it normally comes from the Left Hand Instrument panel block, 7.5A fuse, looks to be #32, might check the manual. Probably has power on one side already, if you could easily get to the back of the panel you could run a lead over to it and land it on the fuse panel where it is supposed to be, this is what I am going to try and do. In the factory install it goes through two different junctions, but I think it would be futile to even look into that side of it. Initially I was hoping to just tie mine into the power that goes to the rest of the devices in the steering wheel but it is on a 2.5A feed. Oh, and I wouldn't worried about a keyed source if you don't run it over to the original spot on the fuse block as the heater module has a timer so it isn't like you could leave it on and potentially run the battery down or something.

post-148500-0-50060600-1443011694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harlech

Thanks for the detailed info on the wiring. Do you happen to have the wiring diagram for the clockspring wires between the s/w controls and actual clock spring?

Thank you!

Thanks for the detailed info on the wiring. Do you happen to have the wiring diagram for the clockspring wires between the s/w controls and actual clock spring?

Thank you!

Are you looking for something in particular? There are about 15 diagrams involving the clock spring. I can also get the pinouts for the connectors.

I attached a couple that show some of the most detail.

Kyle

post-148500-0-32761000-1443097592_thumb.jpg

post-148500-0-29718400-1443097608_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I was looking at the issue this past week. I stand corrected as the connector is a 2 conductor plug off of the clock spring. The factory connector is up high in the dash behind the cluster it looks like. I did confirm the plug needs a 12V ignition switched source on one wire (violet/white) and the other wire (Black) is a ground on the plug. It looks like there is no terminated lead available for this plug so you have to get to the plug on the harness (if it's there) or cut the plug off of the clock spring and connect as described. I did test it and it works, so I will be sourcing some sort of 2 conductor plug and wiring it directly to a keyed 12V source.

I was wondering if you were able to locate the factory plug, if so, was it behind the cluster?

Anthony,

I was into the dash a while back and noticed the plug and I have access to the same wiring diagrams that Vader is posting above. The clock springs acts as the terminal from the wires going down the column and the steering wheel. The reason for a different clock spring on the heated wheel option, is the amount of current needed for the circuit compared to the rest of the switches. A good ground can be had in a lot of places as long as it is a body ground, if it's a ground wire going somewhere else, that wire has to be able to handle the total load of both circuits. I liked a switch power lead or power source, despite any timer. That's personal preference leaning on the side of safety. The heated wheel option is a pretty simple add-on and is self contained, it's just the stinking clock spring that makes it a little pricey.

Ken

I still have a heated wheel I will sell for cheap if anyone is interested in something to use to mess around with this.

Is it the Chevy or GMC wheel?

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Anthony,

I was into the dash a while back and noticed the plug and I have access to the same wiring diagrams that Vader is posting above. The clock springs acts as the terminal from the wires going down the column and the steering wheel. The reason for a different clock spring on the heated wheel option, is the amount of current needed for the circuit compared to the rest of the switches. A good ground can be had in a lot of places as long as it is a body ground, if it's a ground wire going somewhere else, that wire has to be able to handle the total load of both circuits. I liked a switch power lead or power source, despite any timer. That's personal preference leaning on the side of safety. The heated wheel option is a pretty simple add-on and is self contained, it's just the stinking clock spring that makes it a little pricey.

Ken

Hey Ken!

Thank you for the reply! I already have the new clockspring installed and everything hooked up, minus the 2 plug adapter for the heated wheel... I was looking for the plug, but did not see it. That is why I was curious if you knew where it was hanging or tied up to.

Thank you!

Is it the Chevy or GMC wheel?

It's a denali wheel with red stitching, would be perfect for someone with a gmc that doesn't mind red stitching or someone with an sle all terrain that can replace the brushed metal pieces. Could also carbon fibre wrap the bushed metal and put it in any truck.

It's a denali wheel with red stitching, would be perfect for someone with a gmc that doesn't mind red stitching or someone with an sle all terrain that can replace the brushed metal pieces. Could also carbon fibre wrap the bushed metal and put it in any truck.

I'll sell it for $50 +shipping

• Like 1

Hey Ken!

Thank you for the reply! I already have the new clockspring installed and everything hooked up, minus the 2 plug adapter for the heated wheel... I was looking for the plug, but did not see it. That is why I was curious if you knew where it was hanging or tied up to.

Thank you!

Found the plug. Staring directly forward after taking the "knee panel" off, it is taped to a loom of wires. Trying to attach a picture but having issues. It is attached to the loom from the black box with 7 plugs on it, I am assuming the BCM. If you go the third plug over that is green, and follow it up the loom, you can't miss it.

Thank you all for the help. It is working perfectly now!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...