Just Drove '15 Denali 6.2L/8-Speed...

FoD

Sticker said 3.42. This did not have the Tow Mirrors, so no NHT. But it was delivered yesterday, so maybe the factory is putting 3.42's in without the NHT now.

Maybe it's a '14

Can't be a 14 if it's an 8 speed...hmmm..sure it was an 8?

They did put 6 speed 6.2's s in early 15 SUV's, but not in pickups.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...And I'm not sure what the big deal is? The 6.2L did not feel any peppier than my current 5.3L. Maybe it gets better after the "learn-mode" BS, I don't know. The 8-Speed is very clunky, with slow shifts. I think the overall problem is the awful throttle response! My wife has a '14 Maxima, and it instantly goes when you tap the pedal. I had planned to trade up in a few months to this combo, but I'm obviously rethinking that notion. I expected much more. Maybe once this 8-Speed fix from GM comes about, I'll give it another shot. Anyone else feel like me?

That's surprising. My 6.2/6 speed is a lot peppier, I have to rev the piss out of my 5.3 to get going. It needs a tune bad.

The 6.2 might sound the same but pulls like a freight train, night and day difference. I drove a max tow 5.3 6-speed 3.73 back to back with a Danali 6.2 8-speed 3.23 and while the both got out of the hole the same the 6.2 simply pulled so much harder!

Keep in mind the 8-speed has a much lower 1st gear so even though the final drive gear is taller you still have a lower 1st gear. The 8-speed is going to launch faster.

I've been looking at 2015 Silverado's, and have driven the 2015 5.3 and 6.2/8-speed in the last week...there is a big difference between the two. The 5.3 runs good, but the 6.2/8-speed is a beast! Both trucks were 4x4 crew cabs, I also didn't notice any shifting problems or noises that a few people have experienced. It is an impressive combination.

As you said, the trans/engine will need some time to learn your driving habits and adjust accordingly. I felt the same way you did when I took delivery of my 6.2L 8-speed, but after a few hundred miles and a reprogram of the transmission (there are multiple service bulletins on this, but I dont have the numbers) the transmission is a lot smoother and responsive now. I am coming from a 2014 6.2L 6-speed 3.73 rear and my 2015 with a 3.23 rear feels much more refined and responsive, just took some time break-in. Those are my thoughts, but there are others out their currently experiencing some issues with the new 8-speed.

Yeah, I think that taking a brand new truck from the lot and expecting obscene performance can be misleading. The trucks need time to loosen up and figure out the programming.

My 2009 6.2L was a dog when I bought it. It had trouble holding gears on the highway and generally felt very sluggish. After a few 1000 km's it loosened up and started driving like a real beast.

Plus, when you look at the reviews, there is no arguing that the 6.2L/8 Speed can lay down some SERIOUS numbers. It not feeling like that may be to blame on the comfortable suspension tuning and well isolated cab.

Yeah, I think that taking a brand new truck from the lot and expecting obscene performance can be misleading. The trucks need time to loosen up and figure out the programming.

My 2009 6.2L was a dog when I bought it. It had trouble holding gears on the highway and generally felt very sluggish. After a few 1000 km's it loosened up and started driving like a real beast.

Plus, when you look at the reviews, there is no arguing that the 6.2L/8 Speed can lay down some SERIOUS numbers. It not feeling like that may be to blame on the comfortable suspension tuning and well isolated cab.

Not to hijack thread. But I noticed you have 2 GMT 900's in your signature.

How does your regular cab 5.3 compare to yor crew cab 6.2? Close in response with the mods and weight difference? Which one is more fun to drive?

Not to hijack thread. But I noticed you have 2 GMT 900's in your signature.

How does your regular cab 5.3 compare to yor crew cab 6.2? Close in response with the mods and weight difference? Which one is more fun to drive?

It's funny actually. The 5.3L is more fun to drive around town just from a weight and handling perspective. But when it comes to acceleration, the 6.2L eats it alive. You'd think that the 5.3L would be comparable due to the lower weight of the regular cab, but you can easily feel the additional torque and horsepower of the 6.2L. At times, the 5.3L actually feels gutless in comparison.

So for putzing around town and daily driving, I typically use the regular cab, and for highway driving and road trips, I take the crew cab.

My long term plan for the regular cab is to swap a 6.2L into it to give me the best of both worlds. I'm just been collecting parts and shopping for the engine these last few months. I was actually kicking around the idea of just swapping the engines between the two trucks and then selling the crew cab as a 5.3L truck, haha.

The 6.2 8-speed will do something no other stock truck I have drove will, traction control off roll into the throttle from a stop and light the tires up, we are talking a 5+mph roll, pulls like a animal!

the 6 speed will do the same easily. i can burn them loose at 25+

I run E85 got within 40HP of the 6.2, then I added a tune. The truck is an animal, Im sure glad I didn't spend the extra 12 to 15K to get stuff I didn't want just to get the 6.2. So if I did blow the motor and did lose the warranty ( I love to have that fight) I saved that money so id be even or still ahead. Im not knocking the people who want the LTZ or Denali, I wouldn't use the extra stuff they offer.

I run E85 got within 40HP of the 6.2, then I added a tune. The truck is an animal, Im sure glad I didn't spend the extra 12 to 15K to get stuff I didn't want just to get the 6.2. So if I did blow the motor and did lose the warranty ( I love to have that fight) I saved that money so id be even or still ahead. Im not knocking the people who want the LTZ or Denali, I wouldn't use the extra stuff they offer.

I must be missing something, so please enlighten me. When I look at what it takes to step up to the 6.2L, its no where close to 12K. It looks like 5K to go SLE->SLT/ LT->LTZ, and then 2K for the 6.2L, and therefore ~7K. What am I missing?

It is unfortunate that you do have to step up trim levels for it though. I'd love to see a standard 2door model with the 6.2L.

That said, when you pull up to a guy with a 6.2L that also has a tune when they become plentiful, that video is going to look much different. :)

While my truck isn't perfect, the thing I love the most about my Denali with the 6.2 and 8speed is it isn't badged that's what it has. Every so often I get some guy next to me peacocking up in his F-150 or the like not knowing the drivetrain I have. If what he has is stock, he's done. Is the 6.2 and 8speed perfect? No, not even close, due to being so new and GM engineers pushing it out too soon. It does have a lot of potential for improvements, maybe from GM in a software cleanup, but really from the tuners as well. I look forward to what Blackbear can do once they can also program the 8speeds.

Archived