What stubby antenna gets the best reception?

• 8 months later...

http://www.amazon.com/AntennaMastsRus-2006-2016-Chevrolet-Silverado-Antenna/dp/B00SLMH18S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457698771&sr=8-2&keywords=silverado+antenna+21

25 bucks, my bad. still well worth it and don't have the painful slapping sound going into my garage anymore

Glad to hear we were able to provide a working solution for you, minus the adapter part of course. Let us know if you ever need an adapter replacement. The 6 3/4" antenna is an amazing performing short antenna option too.

TheAntennaSource

I bought this 17" from Orileys and it works well. I'm in Dayton, OH and pick up WLW (AM) out of Cincinnati very clearly and pick up FM channels the same as the OEM antenna.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MET0/AWRMF2/N0201.oap?ck=Search_antenna_N0201_5239239_2047&keyword=antenna&pt=N0201&ppt=C0325

Don't buy anything. Follow this post and it's completely free. I didn't lose any reception at all.

Radio antenna

Below: You can do this with pretty much any late model and classic GM truck. On some, the Tahoe/Yukon has a cover with no hole so no grommet required.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egm-trucks%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F165883-Radio-antenna%2Fpage__view__findpost__p__1521553&share_tid=165883&share_fid=33003&share_type=t&share_pid=1521553

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are my results.

81965e6cf3ca5c73a10adf815f9f4e61.jpgaaf5d5110513bc28928107e50b14fa71.jpg

• Like 1

Some more details

1) Unscrew antenna

2) pop off plastic cover

3) unbolt 3 small bolts holding antenna on

4) find antenna wire and pop off grey wire retainer from truck (be careful not to pull out antenna wire from antenna base)

5) route antenna base near fender

6) Take small round grommet from bed and place in hole of plastic cover

7) Re-attach antenna, place bolts into 3 holes, attach plastic cover

8) zip tie antenna to inner fender (I will take pics to show how I routed)

and can always put back to OEM if reception does change, but I haven't noticed any.

• Like 1

A shorter antenna should work fine for FM reception where the wavelengths are much shorter than AM. The factory antenna has to account for AM as well as FM so that's why the length is what it is. The lower the frequency, the longer the antenna required. Submarines used to tow an antenna hundreds of feet long.

Actually having served on a submarine the antennas were in the sail (conning tower) as a raise-able mast at periscope depth for normal radio traffic. the 1200 foot cable spooled out the back was an array of hydrophones that would detect low frequency sound at long distances. It was placed so far back so as not to pickup own ship noises.

However there was an array of onboard sensors that would pickup ELF signals that were sent from a ground station thru the earths bedrock. That was a special mode :-)

• 2 months later...

Some more details

1) Unscrew antenna

2) pop off plastic cover

3) unbolt 3 small bolts holding antenna on

4) find antenna wire and pop off grey wire retainer from truck (be careful not to pull out antenna wire from antenna base)

5) route antenna base near fender

6) Take small round grommet from bed and place in hole of plastic cover

7) Re-attach antenna, place bolts into 3 holes, attach plastic cover

8) zip tie antenna to inner fender (I will take pics to show how I routed)

and can always put back to OEM if reception does change, but I haven't noticed any.

Can you post the pictures to how you mounted the antenna on inner fender ?

• Like 1

Can you post the pictures to how you mounted the antenna on inner fender ?

I didn't mount it as much as I just shoved it between the fender and the mount it was originally attached to.

9cb91dbd1d5009466a2f952449809f00.jpgf404fd2d502fc843aca4d461d0671e1b.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't mount it as much as I just shoved it between the fender and the mount it was originally attached to.

9cb91dbd1d5009466a2f952449809f00.jpgf404fd2d502fc843aca4d461d0671e1b.jpg

Thanks

Edited by NemesisC5
  • Like 2

Well that SH!T is brilliant! I just ordered one that looks like a 50 cal bullet...it will probably suck, but I live in a metro area...my wife continues to call me a a 20 year old...I guess I'm starting my mid-life crisis! haha!