2014 Silverado with 6.2 19,000 miles bottom end of engine exploded in

I had GM replace the LS1 in my 2001 Pontiac Formula due to piston slap, they did a long block swap and I never had issues with the car for the next 60k miles I put on it.

• 2 weeks later...

So if the fact the engine in my truck went with 19,000 miles wasnt bad enough, it only gets worse from there.
First off they put me in a toyota camry for a rental. After 4 days of trying to get through to a senior advisor with GM her response was it is the dealers job to get me into a truck, and since they only work with enterprise I have to argue with them for a truck. Long story short on that, a few phone calls to the dealer and frankly a favor I think, I got a truck. Its not the same as mine but its close enough for me to live with it.

So heres the best part. they have had my truck 2 weeks. Not an ounce of work has been done. Why? well it took well over a week for an engine to show up. its there, has been since wednesday. The issue now. I have a K and N cold air kit. Not a tune, not anything else changed on the engine.. simply a cai. They district manager said the cai kit is what made my engine throw a rod at 19,000 miles. Yea. right. And little green martians made me breakfast.

So they dumped the computer yesterday and clearly saw its all still to factory specs, and I get a call saying they think it will be covered BUT, if it is in order for me to pick up my truck I have to buy and put back on a oem air box unit.

So we are borderline breaking the Magnuson-moss act by denying a warranty by saying they "Think" the cai threw the rod... By law THEY must PROVE it did, which I am sorry but since its pretty much impossible for a cai to do that, unless it had a giant hole in the tube that let a rock or chunk of something down into the motor, its just not even plausible. But then to tell me I cant keep my truck the way I want it, even when that clearly was not the issue that caused it? Where in my warranty does it say I must return my truck to stock to pick up after warranty repairs. Hell, does that mean my non stock tires, paint, interior trim ect all need to be put back as well?

They have had it 2 weeks for the engine alone and a good 2-3 weeks for the gps/onstar link issue from my leaking roof from last fall. I mean really, WTH GM. I have a $56,000 truck of yours that I bought and your treating me like I am the cause of the problem and making it a giant game. I dont expect to be treated like a king or something, but how about a simple apology.. Hey were sorry your engine failed you and inconvenienced you this badly and were going to make it right in expedited fashion. I dont know who to blame is, whether it be the district manager, or the brass in the TAC. But I have reached my boiling point and I am over being nice about it.

Is this the reason the 6.2 builds are being held up? Are other 6.2's having issues? Does GM treat all of their customers this way with a catastrophic failure? At what point do they maybe try to keep me as a customer vs pushing me closer and closer to a Ford or hell even a Toyota at this point.
Just completely a miss by all of this.

• Like 1

I just bought a k&n CAI it came with a card and it says to keep it with me just in case there's a warranty issue and they try blaming CAI, you call k&n and they will talk to the service advisor. I find it funny that these service advisors actually try to tell someone a CAI is the cause for problems. Mind boggling. Hope everything works out for the best from here on out. If it was me, heads would be rolling. You have every right to be pissed off. Seems like all dealerships have this mentality about blaming the customer for their poor quality work or errors.

Its actually not the advisor, its the area district manager being the idiot. And K and N has been great. I have spoken to their R&D/Tech dept a couple times and they are fully prepared for stuff like this. Onec GM decides if they are going to be smart or stupid all I need to do is make a call and K and N will either say good deal, or they will be making some calls on my behalf.

I am thoroughly thrilled with K and N's service and support through this. Its amazing at how a company can really make you feel great for buying their prodcut of around $250-$300 and how sad it is another company takes a $50K + purchase and makes you regret every second of it.

The worst thing for me is I have been GM since I was a kid. 9 new GM products since 2004 in my household alone. And this is what I get for the loyalty and business.
Hate to say it, but Im going to be on another brands lot for the next one. It will be the first time in my life as a matter of fact.
Funny how selling you down river and playing games can do that to ya.
Damn shame.
Thanks for the well wishes, support is appreciated.
Ive been nice to them to this point, figuring the old adage Honey vs vinegar ect, but if I dont have an answer on Monday of what they are doing ect, 2.5 weeks since they have had my truck, plus the 3 weeks previous for the gps issue.. heads will be rolling

I just bought a k&n CAI it came with a card and it says to keep it with me just in case there's a warranty issue and they try blaming CAI, you call k&n and they will talk to the service advisor. I find it funny that these service advisors actually try to tell someone a CAI is the cause for problems. Mind boggling. Hope everything works out for the best from here on out. If it was me, heads would be rolling. You have every right to be pissed off. Seems like all dealerships have this mentality about blaming the customer for their poor quality work or errors.

Its actually not the advisor, its the area district manager being the idiot. And K and N has been great. I have spoken to their R&D/Tech dept a couple times and they are fully prepared for stuff like this. Onec GM decides if they are going to be smart or stupid all I need to do is make a call and K and N will either say good deal, or they will be making some calls on my behalf.

I am thoroughly thrilled with K and N's service and support through this. Its amazing at how a company can really make you feel great for buying their prodcut of around $250-$300 and how sad it is another company takes a $50K + purchase and makes you regret every second of it.

The worst thing for me is I have been GM since I was a kid. 9 new GM products since 2004 in my household alone. And this is what I get for the loyalty and business.

Hate to say it, but Im going to be on another brands lot for the next one. It will be the first time in my life as a matter of fact.

Funny how selling you down river and playing games can do that to ya.

Damn shame.

Thanks for the well wishes, support is appreciated.

Ive been nice to them to this point, figuring the old adage Honey vs vinegar ect, but if I dont have an answer on Monday of what they are doing ect, 2.5 weeks since they have had my truck, plus the 3 weeks previous for the gps issue.. heads will be rolling

Thanks for sharing! Hate to hear GM has their customer service heads up a their rears, Also good to know, K and N will go to bat for their products.

I almost didn't go back to GM due to a cracked dash that I had to pay $300.00 to get replaced. If I experience half of what you have, I'll be done with them as well.

Valve spring failure, valve dropped into cylinder and piston hit and broke in half, rod broke in bits and shot out through both banks of the engine, also took out the starter.
GM is now officially covering it under warranty. Still getting grief from the service manager about my K and N saying they cannot install it back on the truck and I might have to buy a oem air box set up.
so debating my options there at this time.
parts on back order, truck down 3 weeks so far, and who knows now with the back ordered parts.
Disappointed in how the whole situation has been handled to be honest.
But at least I am not fighting about it being covered anymore/

• Like 1

I encountered a very similar story only it happen to a 2014 Dodge 3500 cummins service truck where I work. At about 10K miles the engine went on it. The local dealer blamed the non-OEM air filter they had in it (not sure if it was K&N or some other brand) and would not cover warranty on it due to that fact. It's a good thing the company that owned that truck were mechanics and they ended up putting in a new engine themselves.

Companies just don't care about customers anymore it seems.

• Like 1

How heavy was your trailer? Just curious.

Trailer was empty, 2300 pounds trailer weight, not under load when it went

The valve springs are a known issue, they dont usually go that badly, but it must have caught it just right for the piston to break. Ive never seen anything like it and Ive seen some engines go. Typical of my luck though lol

Valve spring failure, valve dropped into cylinder and piston hit and broke in half, rod broke in bits and shot out through both banks of the engine, also took out the starter.

GM is now officially covering it under warranty. Still getting grief from the service manager about my K and N saying they cannot install it back on the truck and I might have to buy a oem air box set up.

so debating my options there at this time.

parts on back order, truck down 3 weeks so far, and who knows now with the back ordered parts.

Disappointed in how the whole situation has been handled to be honest.

But at least I am not fighting about it being covered anymore/

Glad it's been ruled a warranty in your favor.

I had a friend go thru a few Ford Super Duty diesel engines. Actually, I was driving when one of them blew. It started dropping cylinders one by one until it was running on about 2. I drove 40 miles thru the desert back to the town of Barstow and made it to the dealer, white smoke billowing out the back so bad it closed down main street. Anyway, they never even so much as blinked about whether it was warranty or not.

Glad it's been ruled a warranty in your favor.

I had a friend go thru a few Ford Super Duty diesel engines. Actually, I was driving when one of them blew. It started dropping cylinders one by one until it was running on about 2. I drove 40 miles thru the desert back to the town of Barstow and made it to the dealer, white smoke billowing out the back so bad it closed down main street. Anyway, they never even so much as blinked about whether it was warranty or not.

So you delayed me leaving for vegas. And there is no excuse for those power stroke engines. They couldnt get it right.

As for the 6.2 and what the sevice manager is saying, it isnt right. CAI has no cause and not a warranty voiding item. If that mandate is from GM they they can pay for it, install it, and the regional rep deliver thr CAI to you personally. If it is the dealer, i would be livid and bringing a business lawyer into it as well as K&N. The $300 for a lawyer to be present with you for 2 hours will be well spent