2014 Silverado with 6.2 19,000 miles bottom end of engine exploded in

Ryan,
I sold the original for a few bucks, made like 10 bucks or something like that on it lol.
I reinstalled the K&N in the parking lot tonight. Engine is done, truck is done. I am picking it up Wednesday since I am on 12s I cannot get it until then. They refused to reinstall it even though a GM dealer installed it the first time. K&N offered to buy it back if I wasnt happy but decided to stay with it, one just for their awesome support, and two because I like it.
I do however want to pick up a stock box to throw in the garage.

You don't have your original air box? Are they going to give you the k&n one back?

Ryan

If a dealer installed the K&N then it should be covered under warranty. Even if a dealer installs big things like a lift then it's also covered. Did you mention that to them?

Good that it's taken care of though. By the way, the dealer could have done better with a rental. The dealership I used to work we would do as much as putting a dealer tag on a used vehicle as a rental if need be for a customer that had their vehicle in service.

Really, is this regional rep for real? Did the dealership push back? Glad everyone finally worked around the regional guy.

The thing to watch is oil filters. My service Mgr. said GM had some warranty issues when a torn down engine that failed had oil filter material blocking oil flow. The filter was an aftermarket one. I have used Delco filters since.

I have a GMC dealership within 6 miles and drive 60 miles past two more to go to the one I deal with. There is a reason for such. Service! Fixed on warranty when can. Always loan me a truck or SUV.

NO manufacture can void a warranty for not using the manufacture filter, that is against the law and actually mentioned in the Magnuson/Moss warranty act. If the manufacture is going to require specific fluids or filters to be use then they are required by law to provide them at no charge. As long as the fluid or filter meets the specs the manufacture specifies then they cant void your warranty for using that fluid/filter.

NO manufacture can void a warranty for not using the manufacture filter, that is against the law and actually mentioned in the Magnuson/Moss warranty act. If the manufacture is going to require specific fluids or filters to be use then they are required by law to provide them at no charge. As long as the fluid or filter meets the specs the manufacture specifies then they cant void your warranty for using that fluid/filter.

I think the problem with the filter is the fact that it's a "performance" filter where it's either oiled or a dry filter. From my experience an oiled filter isn't going to do anything as long as it wasn't over oiled and I think that's what happens to people that have something go wrong where the filter was over oiled from the factory and they didn't check it. Also a dry filter I've read doesn't catch everything since it still allows more air through without using anything (like oil) to help catch everything.

Of course they will still have to prove that the filter is what did the damage, but just saying that he didn't add a regular paper filter so it was mentioned. If he just had a regular paper filter in the stock box then nothing would have been said. Also he said he had a dealer install the K&N kit so it's covered under warranty anyways.

Ryan,

I sold the original for a few bucks, made like 10 bucks or something like that on it lol.

I reinstalled the K&N in the parking lot tonight. Engine is done, truck is done. I am picking it up Wednesday since I am on 12s I cannot get it until then. They refused to reinstall it even though a GM dealer installed it the first time. K&N offered to buy it back if I wasnt happy but decided to stay with it, one just for their awesome support, and two because I like it.

I do however want to pick up a stock box to throw in the garage.

I still have my factory 2010 GMC Denali 6.2 air box, if you think that it'll work / fit

If a dealer installed the K&N then it should be covered under warranty. Even if a dealer installs big things like a lift then it's also covered. Did you mention that to them?

Good that it's taken care of though. By the way, the dealer could have done better with a rental. The dealership I used to work we would do as much as putting a dealer tag on a used vehicle as a rental if need be for a customer that had their vehicle in service.

I even gave them a copy of the installation paperwork. There were a lot of failures with this situation, engine only being one.

I did end up with a truck with a hitch after 4 days, dealer did that for me. GM is covering one months payment for me, also from dealer asking for me.

Those were the pluses. The minuses were all the BS for 3 weeks and miscommunications, and more.

You are correct sir, However GM has every right to try to prove that the CAI did that, which in 3 weeks they did every single bit of trying they could. I am well versed on the law, and had K&N on speed dial. I cant say enough good about K&N.

Bottom line took 3 days to fix the truck, over 3 weeks of BS. huge failures on all accounts

• Like 1

I think the problem with the filter is the fact that it's a "performance" filter where it's either oiled or a dry filter. From my experience an oiled filter isn't going to do anything as long as it wasn't over oiled and I think that's what happens to people that have something go wrong where the filter was over oiled from the factory and they didn't check it. Also a dry filter I've read doesn't catch everything since it still allows more air through without using anything (like oil) to help catch everything.

Of course they will still have to prove that the filter is what did the damage, but just saying that he didn't add a regular paper filter so it was mentioned. If he just had a regular paper filter in the stock box then nothing would have been said. Also he said he had a dealer install the K&N kit so it's covered under warranty anyways.

Firstly,

yes if you over oil you can run into issue but even then its sketchy. Second, The fact a GM dealer installed the CAI set up gained me ZERO traction, to the point even they refused to re-install it. I had to do it in the parking lot in the rain. Not thrilled.

You are correct, they had to prove the K&N cai is what hurt the motor, which isnt possible, the faulty valve spring clearly is what hurt it.

I still have my factory 2010 GMC Denali 6.2 air box, if you think that it'll work / fit

Its actually very different in set up, but thank you very much for the offer. Much appreciated

• Like 1

Really, is this regional rep for real? Did the dealership push back? Glad everyone finally worked around the regional guy.

The thing to watch is oil filters. My service Mgr. said GM had some warranty issues when a torn down engine that failed had oil filter material blocking oil flow. The filter was an aftermarket one. I have used Delco filters since.

I have a GMC dealership within 6 miles and drive 60 miles past two more to go to the one I deal with. There is a reason for such. Service! Fixed on warranty when can. Always loan me a truck or SUV.

The regional rep was either new or a total D-bag. Probably saw my truck with all the accessories and such and then saw the K&N and thought.. I bet this guy tuned his motor, im going to get a big atta boy from GM and save them 10,000 bucks.

The dealership acted as if afraid of him for the most part, they pushed but not as hard as I would have. Why it took them 3 weeks to decide to dump the computer and pull the valve cover is beyond me. Insanity

Only thing I can surmise is that since this is one of the first engines to implode like this on the new 6.2, and with how bad it really was, "passenger side hole was as big as a softball minimum. almost volleyball."

I think they wanted to cover all bases, but it could have been handled MUCH better by all accounts. First dont attack me like I blew it up on purpose, or changed your factory settings, dont put me in a freaking toyota camry and tell me its not your concern I am in that vs a gm product or truck at that matter, dont tell me the CAI caused the engine to do that when a mechanic in the world couldnt back that claim...

Just bad all the way around. And of course some miscommunication mixed in as well.

K&N was fantastic, kept me mostly sane about it. Now its just the clean up and being made whole part by GM. Hell a freaking apology would go a mile in this case for me. Parts fail, it happens. But they could have handled it so much better. Just shows were all minnows in their ocean.

Oil filters are a big deal, hell even now you have to run their garbage dexos 0 weight oil. If I had changed any of that, if I had done a tune, Id be on the hook for the bill. And understandably. But a freaking air filter, no.

Firstly,

yes if you over oil you can run into issue but even then its sketchy. Second, The fact a GM dealer installed the CAI set up gained me ZERO traction, to the point even they refused to re-install it. I had to do it in the parking lot in the rain. Not thrilled.

You are correct, they had to prove the K&N cai is what hurt the motor, which isnt possible, the faulty valve spring clearly is what hurt it.

I had a K&N intake kit on my 98 for most of the 10 years that I owned it and never had it give problems. The main problem is if it's over oiled that it will mess up the MAF sensor. I did have to replace mine but it was years after installing the K&N so I can only assume it was just normal old age, not the K&N. Again, I think the ones having a problem with K&N was that the filter was over oiled from the factory and they didn't care or think to check it.

• 1 month later...

Sadly I've seen a few bad Delco oil filters lately. A coworker had one blow apart on a 2014 Silverado Z71 CC a couple weeks after buying it. The filter failed at the crimp where the can and base plate meet. Also some AC Delco filterss are changing over to the E-core design. You can tell if it's an e-core iff the filter model ends in an e....PF63E, PF43E, etc. I'm sticking with Wix or Baldwin filters from here on out.

I wanted to alsopint out that GM officially added a 500 mile oil change interval for the Corvette back in December. A few Auto magazines with long-term cars have had their engines grenade. The consensus seems to be metal debris from the manufacuring process as the culprit.