2014 Silverado with 6.2 19,000 miles bottom end of engine exploded in

Any one with a 6.2 have issues with their engines going poof lol

my truck has 19000 miles on it. going down the road, went to reduced power and within about 15 seconds grenaded. Had oil pressure and normal temps until it went. Pieces of piston ended up on the back of my trailer, trailer was empty, no weight on it and crusing at about 50mph 2000 rpm roughly?

toasted. If your engine went PM me.

UPDATE
looks like this little Rod decided it didnt want to play with the others anymore...
I have a few chunks of whats left.
I think angry is quite an understatement. 19,000 miles. REALLY. On a good note, I really like the new blue...

post-127262-0-12784300-1428726632_thumb.jpg

UPDATE

.... On a good note, I really like the new blue...

Lotso luck with that. They'll stick a long block in it, do a dump of the ECM, TCM, and BCM so they can see what went on. Good time to have not modified it. They'll look straight at a possibility of a tune, if they're doing they're jobs. Edited by spurshot

Lotso luck with that. They'll stick a long block in it, do a dump of the ECM, TCM, and BCM so they can see what went on. Good time to have not modified it. They'll look straight at a possibility of a tune, if they're doing they're jobs.

they actually are not allowed to do that to be honest, it will get a new crate 6.2. Its allready been ordered.

truck wasnt and never has been tuned. I have a great relationship with my service advisor and dealership.

They can dump all the info they want, pretty clear a rod shot out the bottom of the engine. There were no warnings or symptoms, so the computer is going to show normal until it went boom.

Bottom line its a major issue when a brand new truck with 19000 miles shoots a rod. Thats something I am willing to bet some engineers are called in to check out. Might also be a growing concern because some holds being placed on the 6.2's

I know the oil pumps are a concern just like they were in the camaro's but this clearly wasnt.

Either way I dont know if I will keep the truck or not. Sure it will have a brand new motor, Doesent mean ill trust it fully.

That new ford is purty. And Ive been GM for my entire life. Tranny went twice in my 2007 subruban, that almost swayed me.. Pretty sure this is going to be a GM better make this right in full and apologize like they personally did this to my truck or a ford dealer will have a nice pretty truck with a new motor

I'm sure it'll all work out for you. Still, they will collect the computer data to do their analysis. I've had several engines throw rods. Including one in my airplane out over the ocean. No two were the same cause.

Sorry to hear about this, a real bummer. It may not be much consolation, but as you've probably surmised since you've been here a while, this seems to be the first case of this happening that's been reported here.

Serious engine issues have been really rare here--I think a couple guys have had AFM lifters fail requiring some work, and one guy had an oil pump fail. That's about it off the top of my head--most happening on the 5.3 probably just due to the higher numbers. I know it's hard to want to trust the snake that bit you, but with a million or so trucks out there the track record so far has really been good with these engines. I wouldn't expect any better (or even as good) from the other brands.

Hopefully you'll get your new engine installed promptly.

• Like 1

they actually are not allowed to do that to be honest, it will get a new crate 6.2. Its allready been ordered.

truck wasnt and never has been tuned. I have a great relationship with my service advisor and dealership.

They can dump all the info they want, pretty clear a rod shot out the bottom of the engine. There were no warnings or symptoms, so the computer is going to show normal until it went boom.

Bottom line its a major issue when a brand new truck with 19000 miles shoots a rod. Thats something I am willing to bet some engineers are called in to check out. Might also be a growing concern because some holds being placed on the 6.2's

I know the oil pumps are a concern just like they were in the camaro's but this clearly wasnt.

Either way I dont know if I will keep the truck or not. Sure it will have a brand new motor, Doesent mean ill trust it fully.

That new ford is purty. And Ive been GM for my entire life. Tranny went twice in my 2007 subruban, that almost swayed me.. Pretty sure this is going to be a GM better make this right in full and apologize like they personally did this to my truck or a ford dealer will have a nice pretty truck with a new motor

They can definitely stick a long block in it, just happened to a buddy of mine that spun a bearing on his 5.3L. He asked about getting a crate engine but GM provided a long block instead and they transferred over as much as they could.

They can definitely stick a long block in it, just happened to a buddy of mine that spun a bearing on his 5.3L. He asked about getting a crate engine but GM provided a long block instead and they transferred over as much as they could.

Danman, Since the new motor is ordered Im good. Although I dont even know what the could carry over if they wanted too, A spun bearing is alot different than a baseball sized hole in the bottom of the engine. In theory they could put the same intake on it, possibly the same heads, but everything below that will be brand new and I could live with that. My concern was a used motor vs a long block.

Sorry to hear about this, a real bummer. It may not be much consolation, but as you've probably surmised since you've been here a while, this seems to be the first case of this happening that's been reported here.

Serious engine issues have been really rare here--I think a couple guys have had AFM lifters fail requiring some work, and one guy had an oil pump fail. That's about it off the top of my head--most happening on the 5.3 probably just due to the higher numbers. I know it's hard to want to trust the snake that bit you, but with a million or so trucks out there the track record so far has really been good with these engines. I wouldn't expect any better (or even as good) from the other brands.

Hopefully you'll get your new engine installed promptly.

Jon,

I havent been able to find ANY other person that had this issue. I know the camaro 6.2's in 10 and 11 had oil pump issues. I know the 5.3's in the new trucks have had oil pump issues. But I dont know of anyone who has thrown a rod. Its rare, and frankly it should be.. Its a giant issue lol. It shouldnt happen... no doubt they will be all over that motor to see what happened, AS THEY SHOULD BE... But GM has some graveling at my feet to be doing. Im pissed.

First 6.2 I've heard doing this. Probably a fluke thing. Sorry it had to happen to you but at least you're getting a new crate motor.

it is what it is, better than some idiot totaling my truck or something like that. But still crappy. Again, new blue sure is pretty though lol

I'm sure it'll all work out for you. Still, they will collect the computer data to do their analysis. I've had several engines throw rods. Including one in my airplane out over the ocean. No two were the same cause.

Im willing to bet that the engineers will be going over it. Ive got a good rep at the dealer and no doubt they will keep me privy on what happened. Im mechanical to an extent as well and pretty sure they will allow me to see some of the engine when they pull it because im truly curious being as rare as this is.

If you are considering that new Ford, don't look at that EcoBoost, haha. I know 100% that the engine failures on it have been 30x's the rate of the GM 6.2L.

Unless they have drastically changed the CAC on 3.5L...it will pool water in the elbow under low/no loads and pull in that water all at once under boost. They've throwing rods for years....which is why I swapped. I also received the worst support from Ford Corp ever during warranty work.

In my 2005 SSS AWD, GM stepped up at 8 years and 55K miles to swap the gauge cluster free and clear...and it wasn't on the recall list. Ford wouldn't even give me a rental at one year old and 10K miles when they kept my Eco for 20+ days.

GM has ordered you a brand new crate motor, that's GREAT!!!

• Like 1

If you are considering that new Ford, don't look at that EcoBoost, haha. I know 100% that the engine failures on it have been 30x's the rate of the GM 6.2L.

Unless they have drastically changed the CAC on 3.5L...it will pool water in the elbow under low/no loads and pull in that water all at once under boost. They've throwing rods for years....which is why I swapped. I also received the worst support from Ford Corp ever during warranty work.

In my 2005 SSS AWD, GM stepped up at 8 years and 55K miles to swap the gauge cluster free and clear...and it wasn't on the recall list. Ford wouldn't even give me a rental at one year old and 10K miles when they kept my Eco for 20+ days.

GM has ordered you a brand new crate motor, that's GREAT!!!

^this

If you do go ford best of luck to you with service and warranty. Also stay away from the ecopoop- previous owner of a 2012 loaded fx4 ecopoop. Best of luck with the 6.2 crate

Edited by Half_ton
  • Like 1