Rims Wheels Factory Silverado Colorado

unit731

Thanks.

I'm attempting to put the 2012 Colorado 16's on a 2002 Silverado that came from factory with 16's..

At some point I will take to shop and check fit. As the calipers and such may be bigger on the 2002 Silverado. If that is the case, I will just sell the 2012 Colorado rims.

Obviously, there is a weight difference between the two trucks. The 2012 16's are factory GM steel rims.

Not sure if GM made different 16 inch steel rims over the years.

Ah see on the first page, you said you had a 2012 hence the answers you have gotten.

The Colorado rims came off a 2012 4X4.

Want to know if they will fit on my 2012 Silverado. Both have same rim size/holes.

You have a 2002. So. Yes, a hub center ring .

Edited by 15HDriver

Contacted Summit Racing. About rings.

Here is their answer.

Must be the long holiday weekend.

"Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us
within 3 business days."

Contacted Summit Racing. About rings.

Here is their answer.

Must be the long holiday weekend.

"Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us

within 3 business days."

Hahahah that's amazing

So they state I don't need any rings.

Here is Summit Racing response:

Thank you for your email

The Silverado is lug centric. The wheels center on the lugs, not the hubs.

We appreciate your business
Brad
Summit Racing Equipment

Thank you for your email

Brad

Summit Racing Equipment

My bad on the mix up. I can't chime in on the lug vs hub centric as I don't know. I would think even if they are lug centric, you would still want rings to fill the gaps, but I'm sure someone else will have more info on that front.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your email

Brad

Summit Racing Equipment

That doesn't sound right to me. The factory wheels on Silverados that I can tell basically sit right on the center of the hubs. A Colorado wheel would not sit on the center of the hub on a Silverado. They sit centered on the hub of a Colrado though. We had a guy that had Toyota steel wheels on his Silverado. They were the same bolt pattern but the center bore was bigger. He had a wheel fall off and damaged studs from it because the studs and the wheels were supporting the weight of the vehicle.

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_wheels/a/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric-wheels.htm

If they were lug centric, then you couldn't put the vehicle on the ground before torquing the wheel down. You'd have to do it with it in the air.

Edited by 15HDriver

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late in posting but here goes. Hub centric wheels use lug nuts with a flat washer and the washer applies the clamp load to the rim. The GM rims are lug centric, not hub centric even though they appear to be hub centric because of the snug fit of the hub in the rim bore.

Look at a box truck, like a Ryder rental. You will see the flat washers on the lug nuts.

• 3 months later...

Update.

The 2010 Chevrolet Colorado rims/wheels/tires do fit on my 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. No issues whatsoever.

History:

I had purchased an extra set of steel rims back in 2010 for my 2010 Colorado. When I sold the truck I kept the extra rims with tires mounted/balanced.

These steel wheels/tires from the 2010 Colorado are now on my 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. Obviously the tire size is smaller.

But when I looked up tire sizes offered in 2002 for the Silverado - three different sizes came up. And the size on the 2010 Colorado is one of the tire sizes listed for a 2002 Silverado.

So what's the point?

Well there is still good tread left on the steel rims from Colorado. And I might as well use them up. Later I will make a decision whether to attempt to sell them or keep them.

The tire pressure monitor stems are probably not doing me any good now.

The Silverado has 16" Rims.

The Colorado has 16" Rims.

Factory size for each. Factory rims for each.

Silverado has P265 75 R16

Colorado has P235 75 R16

6 hole/bolt each.

6 on 5 1/2 are both.

Through search I think I have found that the Silverado is 75mm and the Colorado is 100mm. Or in layman's terms the hole is smaller on the Silverado and larger in the Colorado.

The question is:

Will the Colorado rims fit on the Silverado?

And is anything else required because of the different center hole size?

Again, Colorado rim on the Silverado only - not the other way around.

Just an FYI : Vehicles currently being manufactured are actually equipped with tires and WHEELS. The "rim" is only a part of the WHEEL.

Standard Silverado/Sierra WHEEL sizes have been 17", 18", 20" for many years now. Not sure which year you are talking about but it's been quite a while since GM used the 16" WHEELS but the newer truck WHEELS should work on an older model. As long as the brake rotors fit inside the WHEEL, they should work fine.

Edited by BlackZ71Silverado

Just an FYI : Vehicles currently being manufactured are actually equipped with tires and WHEELS. The "rim" is only a part of the WHEEL.

Thank you.

Yes, Correct. For many the rim is the round metal part and the tire is the rubber part. Put the two together and one would have a wheel - for cars and trucks.

Although my Colorado rims did have tires on them, I was not concerned with tire size. Just if the rims would fit.

Today there are many places that sell "Wheels" - nice shiny chrome, aluminum, and painted wheels - which are actually rims. Yet when I visit a retail store such as a tire store - the sign will state - Wheels. Not rims.

So colloquially some mix up the words rim and wheel. Also, the rim has an edge and some state that this edge of the rim/wheel is the rim. And that the metal part is the wheel.

Both the Colorado and the mentioned Silverado use 16 inch rims, tires, and wheels. The difference in my situation was the hub - for one.

Terms such as hub centric were mentioned. And yes the hub diameter is different. The Silverado being larger. Others stated that the rim/wheel would not fit as the brake calipers are larger on the Silverado.

In the end all fits. Thanks for the input from all here.

Maybe others can chime in as to what a wheel is today and what a rim is today.

• 4 years later...

I purchased a set of factory silver 17-inch wheels that I believe came off a 2015 Colorado LT and paid a guy $300 to have them powdercoated black. I went to have them mounted on the Z71 just to find out that the hubs are not a fit.

I guess I should have asked the question on here before doing all that. The new black wheels are pretty cool and I sure someone will want to buy them if they can't be honed to fit. Got any ideas before I purchase a new set?

Edited by Todd J Smith