Leaf Spring Noise

22 minutes ago, Daniel19 said:

No, it's on GM, not me or the dealer. That particular truck was $55k, I don't expect it to make noise when I drive it and the warranty covers the work. I have other vehicles I can drive.

I knew when I posted this that some inbred hick in his 90 Silverado was going to set me straight.

No that’s on you troll. I’m not gonna take my truck to the dealer to get a warranty repair then let them hold it for 3 weeks just to tell me I’m SOL. If I don’t have an answer in 24-48hrs or I’m picking up my truck

and for the record I’m an inbred hick with a 2017 Silverado. Get your facts right troll

Edited by Jacoby
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 1:06 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Have a very expensive set of custom made Deaver leafs sitting is some equally expensive Sulastic hangers. On WET days they still Snap Crackle and Pop. Front pivots do the noise making. Dry days. All good. 

Seriously? I thought those Denvers looked like they would fix it. I thought about putting a set from the 19s that are supposed to be composite....but my magnet thought otherwise. Did the Denver leafs make a difference in the ride quality?

I really just wash them off once or twice a year and spray some silicone spray between the leafs and the shackles and have never had a problem on any truck I've owned.

I also do the same to my trailers so I'm not the squeaky trailer coming into the RV park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Chad2815 said:

Seriously? I thought those Denvers looked like they would fix it. I thought about putting a set from the 19s that are supposed to be composite....but my magnet thought otherwise. Did the Denver leafs make a difference in the ride quality?

Oh yea. I asked for a set with 2" less arc and 15% less rate and hung them in Sulatic hangers. Removed the spacer. Dampen them with King OEM's. I should have gone softer yet. But here's the thing about a 13 leaf spring, besides the lower friction thus smoother action; you can tune them by removing leaves. I took 20% out of the front spring rate as well. Still not Suburban like but much-MUCH better. This also means I've lost about 15%-20%  of my haul capacity as well. 330/440# off my 2200#. Yes for the things I ask of it I could get allot softer yet. 

There is a company called Nation Spring that has some 5 an 7 leaf sets as stock. Don't know much about the details...….

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, Daniel19 said:

No, it's on GM, not me or the dealer. That particular truck was $55k, I don't expect it to make noise when I drive it and the warranty covers the work. I have other vehicles I can drive.

I knew when I posted this that some inbred hick in his 90 Silverado was going to set me straight.

Curious as to why you would wait to get the springs fixed? Go get that Ford with the whisper quiet leaf springs, powerful gas sucking V8, and single speed non shifting transmission if that makes you happy.  

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

I had mine to the dealer twice about the ‘knocking’ in the rear. The first time they said that everything was tight and fine. I had walked them to the back of my truck and shook the bed and replicated the noise. The next time I told them it’s getting worse and to dig deeper. I have a 2017 1500 Z71. The said it’s the leaf spring shackles. The replaced them and no issue now. It drove me nuts such a nice truck but as others have said before, pathetic we had to explain a noise in the back. I’ve owned Chevy trucks my whole life and never had that sound. Thankfully they fixed it and I don’t have to use lube. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2019 at 7:34 PM, Cupton said:

3rd attempt to fix today after telling them it was the leaf springs and them diagnosing since yesterday. I was told it’s completely normal and it was the auto locker making the noise. Told them I was convinced it was the leaf springs and wanted to try something. Clunk, clunk, clunk all the way to Home Depot to purchase these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/303689103

Clunk, clunk, clunk all the way home. Cut some strips and inserted between the springs at the front and rear of the spring.

No more clunk. First time it’s been quiet backing out of my garage and up the driveway in months.

Where did you put it? 

Edited by Beltron462

14 minutes ago, Beltron462 said:

Where did you put it? 

Goes between the pads on the leaf springs.  I had to do the same thing on my 2015 Sierra after about a year.  Started making a horrible clunking noise from the leaf springs.  I tried cleaning and then lubing them with silicone spray, it helped at first but it just came back worse.  Cut out 4 squares the size of the leaf spring pads of the plumbing gasket, put them between the pads and the leaf spring, and immediately the noise stopped.  The pads GM put on some of the earlier trucks apparently are not very good.  I've had no issues with my 2018 Sierra so far, although it has the Max Tow package so maybe it has better quality pads on it.  No idea, but if the noise starts on this truck, I'll do the same thing again.  If you don't have a Home Depot in your area, I got mine from Menards.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/plumbing-installation-repair/faucet-repair/o-rings-faucet-washers/danco-trade-rubber-gasket-sheet/9d00059849/p-1444428632074-c-8544.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beltron462 said:

Where did you put it? 

Take a look at this post. I added some photos a while ago. Still going strong!

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/229241-replacement-leaf-springs/?do=findComment&comment=2314446

Edited by Cupton