Leaf Spring Noise

4 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

does not look any different than mine?  I have 2016?  confused..........

Hmmmm, the insulator between the top two springs are different than what was on my truck before even though it's the same part number.  Also, the clamp on the front of the springs are different than what was on my old ones.  The old ones had a lot of space on each side of the leafs allowing the middle leaf to get crooked and out of alignment quite a bit.  The new clamp is quite tight seeming to not allow the leafs to get out of alignment like my previous ones did.

I don't know, these are different than what was on my 2018 even though they are the same part number. 

I bought the biggest bicycle inner tube they have at Walmart. I cut the valve out which wasted about 1 inch of tube. Then I cut the tube in 4 equal lengths. Jack the truck up from the frame just in front of the rear wheel. Remove the wheel. This allows the rear end to hold the springs apart. i put a length of tube in front of the axle and rear of the axle. The tube was long enough that there was about 2 inches of overlap where the spring pad would be. I tie wrapped the overlap over the pad at the front and rear. Did this on both sides. So far it seems to be much quieter for me at this point. We'll see how long it stays this way.

3rd attempt to fix today after telling them it was the leaf springs and them diagnosing since yesterday. I was told it’s completely normal and it was the auto locker making the noise. Told them I was convinced it was the leaf springs and wanted to try something. Clunk, clunk, clunk all the way to Home Depot to purchase these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/303689103

Clunk, clunk, clunk all the way home. Cut some strips and inserted between the springs at the front and rear of the spring.

No more clunk. First time it’s been quiet backing out of my garage and up the driveway in months.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 6:34 PM, Cupton said:

3rd attempt to fix today after telling them it was the leaf springs and them diagnosing since yesterday. I was told it’s completely normal and it was the auto locker making the noise. Told them I was convinced it was the leaf springs and wanted to try something. Clunk, clunk, clunk all the way to Home Depot to purchase these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/303689103

Clunk, clunk, clunk all the way home. Cut some strips and inserted between the springs at the front and rear of the spring.

No more clunk. First time it’s been quiet backing out of my garage and up the driveway in months.

Thanks for the link. Picked that up from HD yesterday and installed today and all noises are GONE!!!!  No more clunking or creaking or anything. What a life saver. I was starting to hate my truck because of all the racket it was making in the ass end.  Thanks again

• Like 1

I did exactly what you did and zip tied to the springs. I ended up putting the strips of rubber between the top and middle spring though. I left some extra rubber hanging off because I wasn't sure if there would be any shifting and wanted to make sure I had enough in there just in case. After doing this I realized I probably should of cleaned all the goopy grease the dealer put in there beforehand. Oh well, I’m not convinced the grease will last after a few washes and some winter roads. I haven't even clipped the excess zip tie yet. Looks like its holding just fine. Not pretty, but how often am I under there looking at the shear beauty of leaf springs?  [emoji6]

f9a446826c962236b9c11550a2683bc1.jpg513a7901ca90528a96b8a6e5643c79db.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eddie 70 said:

I like what you did there Cupton. I may give that a shot too to see if it makes it even quieter. I was surprised how much it seemed to help with the tube where I put it.

I cant take credit for it. I got the info from this thread (4th post down) from user "Paumat".  https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/203583-clunking-in-rear/page/3/#comments

Good write-up and photo's. Helped a ton! Thanks Paumat!

Edited by Cupton
  • Like 1

May not be necessary to zip tie them. I dont know. I just happened to have a bulk pack of the larger ones lying around so I figured why the heck not.

chris farley idk GIF

Edited by Cupton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cupton said:

May not be necessary to zip tie them. I dont know. I just happened to have a bulk pack of the larger ones lying around so I figured why the heck not.

chris farley idk GIF

Wise choice on the zip ties.

Mine are just sandwiched between leafs and after a month or so I can see they’ve moved a touch.

• Thanks 1

I stopped in at Home Depot this afternoon and picked up some of the rubber material mentioned by Cupton above. I'll try to get it installed this weekend. Going to try and ride up to LS Fest tomorrow. If I don't make it up there, the rubber will get installed tomorrow.