Leaf Spring Noise

On 9/6/2019 at 2:01 PM, Cupton said:

I did exactly what you did and zip tied to the springs. I ended up putting the strips of rubber between the top and middle spring though. I left some extra rubber hanging off because I wasn't sure if there would be any shifting and wanted to make sure I had enough in there just in case. After doing this I realized I probably should of cleaned all the goopy grease the dealer put in there beforehand. Oh well, I’m not convinced the grease will last after a few washes and some winter roads. I haven't even clipped the excess zip tie yet. Looks like its holding just fine. Not pretty, but how often am I under there looking at the shear beauty of leaf springs?  emoji6.png

Just finished with install like you've shown. Now I have rubber between all the leaves. I took my truck down this little barely two lane road that has lots of elevation changes. Good news, there is ZERO clunking from the rear of my truck right now. I am very happy. There is still some slack in the ring and pinion that causes noise but the clunk seems to be gone. Happy camper right here. I checked on my bicycle tubes and there is no wear yet. They should last a long time.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ash08 said:

#09-03-09-001G: Clunking Noise from Rear of Vehicle (Re-torque Leaf Spring Bolts) - (Jun 25, 2019)

Annotation 2019-09-14 140352.png

Annotation 2019-09-14 140500.png

Good post! I’d have to check the work order from the 1st time I brought mine in but I think this bulletin is what they performed. They said there was a bulletin on it and GM told them to loosen and re-torque all the bolts on the rear suspension. In my case it didn’t help. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Chad2815 said:

Dealer had mine for a month....new lower control arms, which we all knew wouldnt work, new leafs....didnt work, new inserts....didnt work. I finally did the rubber between leafs trick, took 5 minutes and now its as quiet as a church mouse. 

Been working for me too!

Bicycle tubes and rubber pads between the leaves. Seems to be pretty quite at this point. Done front and rear of spring in the same way. large.20190914_100944.jpg.9954d944c572ff29c8d7ad7bf6573acc.jpg

I’m glad it works but this is a shame that this is the fix. I would send that picture directly to GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaychevy81 said:

I’m glad it works but this is a shame that this is the fix. I would send that picture directly to GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't care

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yojo said:

They don't care

They havent made enough zip ties to fix all the problems with these trucks. I still love mine and cant imagine driving anything but a Gm, but man it would be hard to ever give them anymore of my money.

• Like 1

I've got a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab with about 25,000 miles on it and there's a ridiculous amount of noise coming from the leaf springs. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that leaf springs have been around for a hundred or so years and they managed to perfect them a long friggin time ago but suddenly, GM just can't do leaf springs. That's not to mention the gutless motor, nonstop shifting, vibrating when operating on four cylinders instead of the 8 the motor actually has. But boy, I get .0005 miles per gallon more with all that fancy garbage. Because you know, that's what I look at when I buy a full-sized truck. Fuel economy.

I just picked the truck up yesterday from 3 weeks at the dealership. They couldn't get the parts to fix the recall on the leaf springs because the poor delicate snowflake UAW workers won't allow truck drivers to pick up and deliver essential GM parts. I've said my whole life I'd never own a ford. Well guess what. As soon as these leaf springs are fixed, this turd of a truck is getting traded in on a new Ford.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel19 said:

I've got a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab with about 25,000 miles on it and there's a ridiculous amount of noise coming from the leaf springs. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that leaf springs have been around for a hundred or so years and they managed to perfect them a long friggin time ago but suddenly, GM just can't do leaf springs. That's not to mention the gutless motor, nonstop shifting, vibrating when operating on four cylinders instead of the 8 the motor actually has. But boy, I get .0005 miles per gallon more with all that fancy garbage. Because you know, that's what I look at when I buy a full-sized truck. Fuel economy.

I just picked the truck up yesterday from 3 weeks at the dealership. They couldn't get the parts to fix the recall on the leaf springs because the poor delicate snowflake UAW workers won't allow truck drivers to pick up and deliver essential GM parts. I've said my whole life I'd never own a ford. Well guess what. As soon as these leaf springs are fixed, this turd of a truck is getting traded in on a new Ford.

Troll

you went without your truck for 3 weeks because of the leaf springs making noise. That’s on u not the dealer. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

Troll

you went without your truck for 3 weeks because of the leaf springs making noise. That’s on u not the dealer. 

No, it's on GM, not me or the dealer. That particular truck was $55k, I don't expect it to make noise when I drive it and the warranty covers the work. I have other vehicles I can drive.

I knew when I posted this that some inbred hick in his 90 Silverado was going to set me straight.