Leaf Spring Noise

Just left my dealer for the second time regarding the leaf spring issue.  First time they did the re-torque and grease.  Didn't fix it but for 2 weeks and me going down a dirt road!  This morning I was talking to the service adviser and he was just saying how they have to follow GM service for this stuff and putting new leaf springs on it would just be the same springs and the same problem.

About that time, the tech working on my truck walks up, puts my paperwork in front of him and says "NEW LEAF SPRINGS ON BOTH SIDES!"  

Service adviser asks the tech if there is a difference in the springs I have and what they will be putting on and the tech says YES!  The new springs will have a different insulator and insulator setup on them compared to what's on my truck.

I have a 2018 Crew Cab 4x4 if that helps anyone.  

I was kind of surprised by the tech's answer.  He said, he heard it when he first got in the truck and pulled out of the parking lot.  I was in and out in 30 minutes with them ordering new springs for both sides!  We'll see if the new springs are really different and if it fixes the noise!

Edited by Praedator
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Praedator said:

Just left my dealer for the second time regarding the leaf spring issue.  First time they did the re-torque and grease.  Didn't fix it but for 2 weeks and me going down a dirt road!  This morning I was talking to the service adviser and he was just saying how they have to follow GM service for this stuff and putting new leaf springs on it would just be the same springs and the same problem.

About that time, the tech working on my truck walks up, puts my paperwork in front of him and says "NEW LEAF SPRINGS ON BOTH SIDES!"  

Service adviser asks the tech if there is a difference in the springs I have and what they will be putting on and the tech says YES!  The new springs will have a different insulator and insulator setup on them compared to what's on my truck.

I have a 2018 Crew Cab 4x4 if that helps anyone.  

I was kind of surprised by the tech's answer.  He said, he heard it when he first got in the truck and pulled out of the parking lot.  I was in and out in 30 minutes with them ordering new springs for both sides!  We'll see if the new springs are really different and if it fixes the noise!

Did he happen to give you a part number for the new springs? Does it list in on the service paperwork?

This would be really useful if you could post it.

19 minutes ago, Baytrucker said:

Did he happen to give you a part number for the new springs? Does it list in on the service paperwork?

This would be really useful if you could post it.

He did not.  And I didn't even sign a service form this time.  They just said, we'll get them ordered and call me to get the appointment made.  I will ask when I get the new ones on next week or the following week for sure!

3 hours ago, Praedator said:

He did not.  And I didn't even sign a service form this time.  They just said, we'll get them ordered and call me to get the appointment made.  I will ask when I get the new ones on next week or the following week for sure!

See if you can score a part # when you take your truck in

On 8/9/2019 at 5:40 PM, Chad2815 said:

Would be interesting if its the same part number from the 19s I posted.

They just mentioned different insulators and insulator location.  They didn't mention different makeup like composite ones on the 2019.  We'll see though.

Leaf springs are not rocket science!  I just can't believe they can screw something so simple up!

Edited by Praedator

2 hours ago, Praedator said:

They just mentioned different insulators and insulator location.  They didn't mention different makeup like composite ones on the 2019.  We'll see though.

Leaf springs are not rocket science!  I just can't believe they can screw something so simple up!

No kidding.... I dont know about all the composite they are claiming. I took a magnet and it stuck to every leaf. I know in a Aviation when we talk composite there are no metals involved.  

On 8/5/2019 at 4:46 PM, bdm62987 said:

Have no fear it will return haha

You called it! It returned the following day after getting the new u bolts installed. Heck it probably was there after immediately leaving the service dept. the 1st time but I just didnt want to hear it. ANYWAY, I stopped by the service dept. this morning after getting my morning coffee just to talk to the advisor I have been working with to let him know the noises were back. He asked if the service manager could ride around with me so he could hear it 1st hand. We did that for about 5 minutes and he heard everything after being in the truck and along side him as he walked outside the truck looking at the rear end as it clunked. He also shook the rear of the truck back and forth while I was in it and was able to reproduce the noise. He said it sounded like the axles and some movement going on in there and if I was OK leaving it with them for the day so they can take a look. I just got a call back and they are recommending (after speaking with GM) we replace both rear axels since they measured and my current ones are on the high end of what GM considers "in spec". I'm no mechanic, so I don't know what that means or what GM considers "in spec", All I know is I'm in a bitchin' Buick encore for a couple days while my truck get's rump surgery .

Edited by Cupton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad2815 said:

Got mine back after 2 days.....made it worse, now they are trying Lower Control Arms.....doubt that will fix it but at least they are trying.

Lower control arms on the rear???

2 hours ago, flyingfool said:

buy a set of aftermarket springs from a 4x4 shop, see if this fixes it

No

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Chad2815 said:

No they seem to think its in the front.

This rear leaf spring clunking and popping is a very distinct sound that you can tell comes from the rear.  If anyone remotely thinks this noise is coming from the front, it's a different noise and problem.  This problem happens when even the slightest dirt or road grime gets in between the leafs.  I can pressure wash my springs while jacked up without weight compressing them and the noise all but goes away.  But driving for just a little bit or once down a dirt road and the noise is right back!

19 minutes ago, Praedator said:

This rear leaf spring clunking and popping is a very distinct sound that you can tell comes from the rear.  If anyone remotely thinks this noise is coming from the front, it's a different noise and problem.  This problem happens when even the slightest dirt or road grime gets in between the leafs.  I can pressure wash my springs while jacked up without weight compressing them and the noise all but goes away.  But driving for just a little bit or once down a dirt road and the noise is right back!

I agree but unfortunately we are kinda stuck with what GM decides to repair. Im gonna try and talk the out of the front end work because they will probably mess that up too.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:06 PM, Cupton said:

I just got a call back and they are recommending (after speaking with GM) we replace both rear axels since they measured and my current ones are on the high end of what GM considers "in spec". I'm no mechanic, so I don't know what that means or what GM considers "in spec", All I know is I'm in a bitchin' Buick encore for a couple days while my truck get's rump surgery .

The spec is referring to either lateral motion (I don't know which style of retainer these trucks use), or lash at the spider gears (which could be a result of lateral play in the axle itself).

For what it's worth, the leaf squeaks aren't new; my '99 did it for the 2 years and 60k miles I owned the truck.

Edited by dukedkt442