Leaf Spring Noise

3 hours ago, flyingfool said:

i have a 2012 HD2500 sierra, same issue, at low speeds, just ignore it , its a truck not a Mercedes

This may work if you have a squeak or some light noise, but when your neighbor says 'What's wrong with our truck' (true story) when your backing out of the driveway it's hard to just ignore it. Then every time someone rides in it you feel like you have to explain what that noise.

2 hours ago, reardiff said:

This may work if you have a squeak or some light noise, but when your neighbor says 'What's wrong with our truck' (true story) when your backing out of the driveway it's hard to just ignore it. Then every time someone rides in it you feel like you have to explain what that noise.

I agree!  Leaf springs have been around for a long time and I've owned a lot of trucks and this is the first one to ever have leaf spring noise issues!!!!

Ok I finally got the noise fixed!!! Also I had a 19 loaner no noise. The dealer ordered this as per GM one tube per side. They lubed the pads on the springs but also in between the springs I had the clunking when backing over my driveway and on right hand turns. Also after the fact I believe I didn’t help the issue. I started using a foam cannon on the truck. I think I caused it by power washing inside the wheel wells. Just my thought. But I can confirm 0 noises now. Dealer also said it will come back over time so I ordered a couple tubes lol. ac9e820afd1432b1d2e98d6e4ddb45c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My 2014 had the horribly squeaky leaf springs, I researched here & did the jacking up, cleaning, lubing which lasted a few days. Worse after driving in the rain.

The dealer told me they had to do the clean & lube gig, they did. Squeaking back within a week. Then got new leaf springs under warranty (truck was about six months old at the time). No squeaking since.

I know this doesn't help much as some of the above posts are for much newer trucks but at that point I assumed the springs had been revised.

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

16 hours ago, reardiff said:

Exactly. This same situation has happened to me, and its embarrassing. I'm not expecting my truck to be a Mercedes, however when it cost as much as one, I expect it to at least sound better than my 98' sierra did. 

13 hours ago, Jaychevy81 said:

Ok I finally got the noise fixed!!! Also I had a 19 loaner no noise. The dealer ordered this as per GM one tube per side. They lubed the pads on the springs but also in between the springs I had the clunking when backing over my driveway and on right hand turns. Also after the fact I believe I didn’t help the issue. I started using a foam cannon on the truck. I think I caused it by power washing inside the wheel wells. Just my thought. But I can confirm 0 noises now. Dealer also said it will come back over time so I ordered a couple tubes lol. ac9e820afd1432b1d2e98d6e4ddb45c5.jpg

Thanks for sharing this information. I didn't think to ask my dealer what they used so instead of taking it to them every 1000 miles I could just do it myself. That said, I do not consider this a fix and it does not relieve any of my frustrations with GM. I should not have to provide regular "fixes" on a brand new vehicle because a manufacturer refuses to provide a permanent fix. 

Ultimately other than this issue I love my truck too damn much to get rid of it..so maybe its time to swallow my pride and just accept that I will have to do this, or sell it. 

• Like 2

This is  very common issue with the GM trucks. In fact, there are a lot of very common issues with the GM trucks. Actually, GM seems to be going for some sort of record for the most issues in their trucks commonly experienced by a large number of users.

I have a 2017, which I bought in august 2017. Been back to the dealer 5 times for this issue. It "clunks" at low speeds, particularly when I'm backing up and cornering. It sounds like basketballs bouncing around in the back of my truck. They always say either they can't reproduce the noise, or claim the U-bolts/shackles need lube and tightening. The noise always comes back after 1500 miles or so.

Next time it happens, I'm going to CANVAP and opening a claim.

Some folks have had good luck with a frequent power wash and various types of grease. Some folks have cut up bicycle tire inserts and inserted them between the leafs. The only permanent fix is to replace the leaf springs with something aftermarket, since any GM OEM solution will likely develop the same issue after a while. After nearly 10 years of this problem being common, GM clearly has no interest in fixing it. Its a design flaw.

I'm sure the folks over at the Ford dealership would be happy to change out the rear suspension. While you are there, you can get them to change out the rest of the truck along with it. You may actually solve some other issues in the process.

Thanks for sharing this information. I didn't think to ask my dealer what they used so instead of taking it to them every 1000 miles I could just do it myself. That said, I do not consider this a fix and it does not relieve any of my frustrations with GM. I should not have to provide regular "fixes" on a brand new vehicle because a manufacturer refuses to provide a permanent fix. 

Ultimately other than this issue I love my truck too damn much to get rid of it..so maybe its time to swallow my pride and just accept that I will have to do this, or sell it. 

That what they told me it’s a temp fix GM dropped the ball but I love my truck so I will deal. The dealer told me they will grease it upon every oil change. I went ahead and ordered 2 tubes Incase it comes back prior I’m not gonna bring it to the dealer. It’s not a huge thing annoying but who knows the flaws with other trucks my luck I would trade one thing and have another issue with another truck.

I had my springs replaced under warranty but it didn't last a year before the sounds were back just as bad as before. Not sure if this matters but painted in big yellow letters "made in Mexico ". 

I have a rattle on my '14 every time the rear wheels go over a bumpy surface (parking lot, street, with potholes or overfilled potholes, etc.). It doesn't sound like a squeak or a thunk, it's more like a rattle like a heatshield or something loose but I've been under the truck several times with a rubber mallet banging away and I can't find it. I'm kinda eyeballing the e-brake cable that runs along the frame and I'm going to wrap that with a towel just to see but it's annoying.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, Jaychevy81 said:

I just sprayed wd40 on mine and it stopped the leaf spring noise. It's been about 7 months. 

17 hours ago, flyingfool said:

the leafs look fine to me, I would be more suspect its the shackles, and improper torque on the bolts

Shackles are what the dealer is going to replace for me once they get them in. They torqued all the bolts too but that didn’t seem to make a difference by itself.