Leaf Spring Noise

27 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

put a go pro cam undernieth while backing up and driving, aim the camera at the leafs , transmission, drive shaft and shackles, do some testing guys..

You can just make a turn and have someone stand beside the truck, its the leaf inside the turn that always pops. 

I did have someone walk next to the truck. From what the mechanic said the 2 springs are grinding into each other. When he prayed them apart to put the grease in he saw they were rubbing. I think there moving side to side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Jaychevy81 said:

I did have someone walk next to the truck. From what the mechanic said the 2 springs are grinding into each other. When he prayed them apart to put the grease in he saw they were rubbing. I think there moving side to side.

interesting you say that, my old 1990 suburban never had any noise issues, but if you look at an older GM truck, the leaf spring stack from an old suburban or blazer you'll see GM added a bracket that wraps around two or three leaf to what i assume keeps them from sliding sideways. i'll see  if there is a picture on  Google images

On 7/29/2019 at 6:28 PM, flyingfool said:

put a go pro cam undernieth while backing up and driving, aim the camera at the leafs , transmission, drive shaft and shackles, do some testing guys..

I go off road on a dirt road.  Soon after, I pop and clunk all over the place.  I pressure wash the leaf springs and the noise somewhat goes away!

Dealer has confirmed it's the leaf springs, but says that there's no fix and if they replaced the springs, it's going to be with the same parts that are flawed!  This is a known issue that my dealer says GM has no fix for.  I guess they can grease and tighten their way through the warranty period and then know that the owners are on their own then.  They might even replace some springs in warranty.  But GM has pretty much decided this is cheaper than a permanent re-design fix for the problematic leaf springs for 2014 - 2018 models.

Again, this is something that happens when the leaf springs get dirty typically.  This for me is almost weekly!  So I deal with it constantly!  Cleaning, Greasing and tightening the points fix the noise temporarily till I get them dirty again!   I shouldn't have to pressure wash under my truck to keep it from clunking/popping all over the place.

5 hours ago, Chad2815 said:

Alot of guys on here have tried those to help vibration....I tried it and it helped neither. I did only clamp the portion of the leaf spring in front of the axle. 

i wouldn't recommend the pepboys rebound clips as they are a very sloppy fit and require welding to keep from loosening up. you need to go to a leafspring manufactuer or spring shop, and have them correctly install the clips. so they fit tight and have no slop room, they really should be riveted on, then torque the clips bolt together

Edited by flyingfool

9 hours ago, flyingfool said:

i wouldn't recommend the pepboys rebound clips as they are a very sloppy fit and require welding to keep from loosening up. you need to go to a leafspring manufactuer or spring shop, and have them correctly install the clips. so they fit tight and have no slop room, they really should be riveted on, then torque the clips bolt together

Actually we shouldn’t have to do any of that as the leaf springs we have should function as they’re supposed to

1 hour ago, Jacoby said:

Actually we shouldn’t have to do any of that as the leaf springs we have should function as they’re supposed to

due to cost constraints and out sourcing these parts to mexico, they where not designed correctly.... 

I will have to check out the new 2019 T1XX rear leafsprings and see if GM fixed this issue on the new truck. we might be able to use the late model leaf pack

Edited by flyingfool

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

due to cost constraints and out sourcing these parts to mexico, they where not designed correctly.... 

I will have to check out the new 2019 T1XX rear leafsprings and see if GM fixed this issue on the new truck. we might be able to use the late model leaf pack

There are 8 pictures on this thread comparing the new ones to ours. 19 got composite leafs.

The mechanic told me launch a complaint with GM even though there fix worked it’s a temp fix. He said the more people that bitch maybe they will revise it or something. Long shot but worth a shot.