Leaf Spring Noise

Quote from another thread on here:

as a tech at a gmc dealership i see this very often. this is what we do, we spoke with an engineer. there are updated leaf spring pads the dealership can install in replacement of the old ones. the old ones are rectangle in shape between the leaf springs. the new ones are like the round ones on the lower leaf spring. there is no actual bulletin or anything that calls for this. but gm has been approving the warranty claims for this. it typically takes about 30-1hr to complete. not a very difficult job. i did it 3 times this week at work. 

You can see in an above post of mine that a tech mentions new "type" leaf springs with different insulators and insulator locations.  I was just quoting the tech that spoke to me.  So it does seem that there are now NEW leaf springs or at least differently configured pads etc...

So push your dealerships to look into this!!!!!

My 2018 Sierra with 20 k milel, still in warranty, is making a noise similar to if the spare tire were loose and about to fall off. One dealer told me it’s the 5th one in 2 weeks. Tech said the rear springs likely need replacing but GMC will tell them to put grease on them and that won’t fix the problem. After that failed attempt GMC May approve replacement. I didn’t expect this from GMC. 

On 7/23/2015 at 1:40 PM, GMCustomerService said:

Enthusiast,

I have a 2018 Chevy Z71 LTZ with the same problem of squeaky rear leaf springs. My truck makes noise every time I get in and out of the truck and while driving. Did the dealer replace yours? Did it fix the problem permanently? I have owned several 1/2 ton trucks (03 GMC,  06 Lincoln, 08 Toyota,  10 Ford) and only the GM trucks have this problem. You would think GM would be embarrassed that their trucks sound like they spent 20 years rusting in a field. Please post any documentation you get after the repair is done.

Well the lower control arms didn't fix mine....haha shocker. But they did order some of the insulators for the leafs. Seems the fix is to install the rubber insulators on the existing leafs like the tech on here said. Will let you guys know if it works for me. Guess I at least got a new set of LCAs and a free alignment out of the deal. Fingers crossed it works. Alot of the problem is that GM will only allow the dealers to perform approved repairs, they wont let mechanics be mechanics and troubleshoot on their own to fix things. 

New U-Bolts and axels didn’t fix mine. Going back in on Monday for round 3. I’m just glad I have a dealership that doesn’t give me attitude and is working with me. 

I read most  of the replies on this topic. I hope I did not overlook this diagnostic question: "Has anyone tried placing a couple hundred pounds of weight in the bed of the truck?" 

I placed some sand in the back of mine, rides a whole lot smoother. Seems quieter, too.

John 

image.png.f2f814aeafd75ba707b6dcbe48af1996.png

As promised here are the new springs and part number.  Looks to be the same part number with new insulators types and locations etc..
Guess what looks like is in between the two top springs now!!!!!  Looks like a RUBBER PAD!!!!!!  Looks like the folks that have been putting bike innertubes between their springs are geniuses and GM finally has a new spring out with what looks like a rubber pad both in front and back of each top two leaf springs.

• Manufacturer:GM
  • Part Number:23401109
  • Part:Leaf Spring
  • Replaces:23488047, 23287270

IMG_20190823_123143777.jpg

IMG_20190823_123124137.jpg

IMG_20190823_123103449.jpg

IMG_20190823_123044273.jpg

IMG_20190823_123236742 (2).jpg

Edited by Praedator
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Praedator said:

As promised here are the new springs and part number.  Looks to be the same part number with new insulators types and locations etc..
Guess what looks like is in between the two top springs now!!!!!  Looks like a RUBBER PAD!!!!!!  Looks like the folks that have been putting bike innertubes between their springs are geniuses and GM finally has a new spring out with what looks like a rubber pad both in front and back of each top two leaf springs.

Thanks for posting that will help us all, thats the same part number thats on my existing leafs, wonder if they just started putting the rubber in there? If you look at the pictures I posted they are the same part number. Did it fix your issues?

Edited by Chad2815

5 minutes ago, Chad2815 said:

Thanks for posting that will help us all, did it fix your issues?

Well, I drove it home and no creaks, pops, or clunks.  But they are new, shinny and clean.  Time will tell.  I swerved the truck from side to side at low speed which used to pop and clunk like crazy.  None of that now.  But again, brand new and clean springs.  But the insulators are different etc...

Thanks for posting that will help us all, thats the same part number thats on my existing leafs, wonder if they just started putting the rubber in there? If you look at the pictures I posted they are the same part number. Did it fix your issues?

If you find the other post in the main forum, there's a GM tech that mentions the new insulators going in without replacing the whole springs.

My dealership said it was just as much labor to do either one and easier to just replace them with whole new if GM approves it. Well, they approved it for mine I guess

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/206806-rear-end-noise-2017-silverado/&share_tid=206806&share_fid=33003&share_type=t

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

For anybody following this topic, I can attest to the inner tube rubber solution. Mine was making all kinds of noises and banging for a while now, and today did the rubber in between the springs and is absolutely amazing how quite it is now compared to before.  Only took about an hour and was pretty easy, just pry the leafs apart slide in the piece of rubber and done. This should be a permeant too vs the greasing fix .

Yes the dealer could have likely fixed or replaced under warranty but for something this easy and cheap I see no reason not to DIY and save the time and hassle of going to the dealer possibly multiple times.  I see no reason it will ever reoccur either. 

Edited by reardiff
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, Praedator said:

IMG_20190823_123236742 (2).jpg

does not look any different than mine?  I have 2016?  confused..........