Sorry if this has been asked before...

What would be a good, small, concealable, handgun to buy as my first handgun, strictly for personal protection (hopefully never needed) I've had several firearms over the years but never a handgun. I think I would prefer an automatic vs a revolver. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GLOCK 43 9mm. It is now my favorite, and I have probably tried them all. Just my opinion. If you are a fire fighter, emt. armed security or police you can get them at a greatly reduced price. Just paid 399 out the door for mine two weeks ago. I am act 235 and a retired volunteer fire chief.

I agree. The Glock 43 is a solid choice. You might also look at the Springfield XDS 9. It is very close to the Glock in size and come with better sights already on it. I recommend going to a range near you and renting a few to try them before you buy. In my mind it's like buying a truck without test driving first. It helps avoid expensive mistakes. [emoji6]

Guns that small are great for carry but they are a bastard to shoot well. Given this is your first pistol I would go up in size to the 19 or similar offering from the manufacturer of your choice so you can get a full grip on it. It will still carry nicely and be more enjoyable to shoot at the range.

Guns that small are great for carry but they are a bastard to shoot well. Given this is your first pistol I would go up in size to the 19 or similar offering from the manufacturer of your choice so you can get a full grip on it. It will still carry nicely and be more enjoyable to shoot at the range.

^^ THIS. Any compact 9mm (G19, S&W Shield, etc.) will do the trick. Subcompacts are not much fun to shoot.

One thing about Glocks that I'll add: the lack of a manual safety lever is unnerving to SOME new shooters. If you can, find a range that rents pistols and try a few out.

I definitely recommend renting a few at a range to see what you like. Asking about the best concealed carry weapon, is like asking what the best color truck is...everyone has their own preference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a S&W guy for the most part...the M&P compact 9 fits pretty nicely in a pocket and is a very reliable gun. Shown below using an "inside the waistband" holster. I like to improvise my holsters :)

img1439wg5.jpg

Archived