Look at the Kahr CW9. It is easy to shoot and conceal at a reasonable price.

I've got a KAHR MK9. Excellent shooter, For me, easy to shoot well. Controllable, even with heavy defensive loads.

With all the advice, it's down to one thing: What fits YOU well?

Sure, I'd like to EDC a full sized 1911A1, but that ain't happening. Too much gun to easily conceal year 'round.

In the winter I could conceal a shorty SXS 12GA, but in summer? not so much.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any of you get hassled by cops for carrying?

Why would they know?

I don't open carry but in Michigan it's common enough that I doubt you'd be bothered. You have to inform if stopped but I haven't been pulled over so I can't comment on that.

For your first pistol, I would suggest buying a compact model, the size between a full size 'service pistol' and sub-compact.

The reason I suggest that is because it's much easier to learn how to properly shoot with that size pistol. It's very important to use proper technique and get the fundamentals down before just going out and buying a tiny pistol to carry. If you are going to be carrying a firearm, you want something that is going to be comfortable in your hands. Sub-compacts are not at all comfortable for beginners, it takes a while to get used to the small size.

Compact pistols are comfortable to carry and are very concealable. The sub-compact pistols are pretty difficult to learn with because they are so small. It's also not going to be accurate because of not having proper technique, it affects the trigger pull greatly.

A good first pistol would be a Glock 19, Springfield XD/XDM, Smith & Wesson M&P compact. I also suggest in classes that a beginner should go with a 9mm. It's a great caliber but people that don't understand ballistics run it into the ground. Today's ammunition is really advanced and FBI tests prove it's a very practical round choice.

Quality 9mm defense ammo. was very close in performance to both the .40 & .45ACP. A beginner will find it comfortable and smooth to shoot with the tame recoil. .40S&W is very snappy, especially in sub-compact models. Same goes for .45, they can be very intimidating.

I carry a Glock 23 daily (when I don't carry my XDS) without issue. Do yourself a favor and go with a mid sized pistol. There are several holsters that will allow you to carry without issue. Don't cheap out on a holster either. Having a good quality holster makes carrying a firearm concealed very comfortable. If you can, try before you buy.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

That's a ridiculous question. Nobody should ever know or be able to tell you are carrying a firearm.

.......what makes you think someone would be "hassled"? You must watch YouTube videos of those assclowns open carrying just to cause a scene and feel they are cool because they are carrying a firearm. Most open carry people do it because they think it looks cool, want to make a political statement, or just feel cool.

There is no reason for open carry unless your job causes you to carry a firearm on duty. It attracts attention and can make you a target. It also makes you vulnerable to become a victim after the crook behind you snatches the pistol out of the holster.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Ok... so I asked a "ridiculous" question... from somebody who has never owned a handgun and therefore has never carried a concealed weapon. No, no one would know I'm carrying it... until maybe they find out somehow. Then what? Sorry if I'm not as enlightened as those with experience in this arena. Give me a f!@#$ break. FYI, I have no intention of doing open carry.

And, by the way, thank you for the info on different models and sizes.​

Ok... so I asked a "ridiculous" question... from somebody who has never owned a handgun and therefore has never carried a concealed weapon. No, no one would know I'm carrying it... until maybe they find out somehow. Then what? Sorry if I'm not as enlightened as those with experience in this arena. Give me a f!@#$ break. FYI, I have no intention of doing open carry.

And, by the way, thank you for the info on different models and sizes.​

People often excessively worry about being made while carrying. It's understandable but there is little reason to worry. 99% of the people out there are blind to their surroundings and will never notice. Michigan laws are decent so if you do get made in most circumstances there is no fallout from it (assuming you're not carrying in a gun free zone). You do have to inform the officer if stopped here but if you keep your cool, inform him/her of your intentions before moving then you'll be fine. I've read a few stories where having a CPL got people out of a ticket as the carry permit proves that you've kept your nose clean and you aren't some scumbag.

If you have never owned a handgun, go take a course on handgun use before you buy anything. Handguns are not just something you go buy one and start carrying. You need some training and practice first.

A good first pistol is a 22 LR. Learn to shoot with one, then learn to shoot the defense gun. You'll find yourself going back to that 22 pistol over and over again throughout your life. It will be a great learning tool and a fun gun for the rest of your life. .

Never, not even when I have had to notify (Ohio law).

There is no reason for open carry unless your job causes you to carry a firearm on duty. It attracts attention and can make you a target. It also makes you vulnerable to become a victim after the crook behind you snatches the pistol out of the holster.

Where as I do not open carry there are many who do...your comment on it is a basic negative response...and there are many opposite reasons why open carry is better... :)

Archived