2011 5.3L pinging

GM_driver

Question

Hey guys,

Recently my 2011 silverado with the 5.3L has begun pinging under load at around 2000rpm. Here is a list of things I have done already:

3 bottles of Lucas Oil Deep Clean though fuel tanks(3 tank fulls)

1 bottle of Chevron Techtron concentrate (half tank full)

new air filter

cleaned MAF sensor

cleaned throttle body

Used AutoCal to read spark advance during pinging event; minimum advance was 18* during pinging (pinging does not stop unless I change throttle position)

Note; I have a Blackbear tune.

I now believe it is a faulty knock sensor since the pinging does not stop after a few seconds.

This started happening after I had a low oil pressure sensor voltage DTC. I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the oil and oil filter with a UPF48 claiming the PF48 already installed on the truck was faulty. It seems to have fixed the low oil pressure issue.

I would like your opinions before I decide to take it back to the dealer. Thanks

5 answers to this question

Jsdirt. did your truck ping before the generic tune? I would expect a generic tune to require higher octane fuel. The quick/cheap way to improve power has always started with advance the timing and change the fuel. With knock sensors it should be even easier to take that route.

Mine pinged from day one from 3/4 to full throttle. Was pretty loud.

On the Hypertech programmer you can select a regular or premium fuel tune. I've tried both - no change in the ping, really. I reverted back to the regular tune after I took a run out to CA, since premium out there was pushing $5 a gallon. Since I noticed no real loss of power, I left it when I got home ... but first time I towed on regular fuel, I thought the engine was going to blow. Would start to detonate - not ping - DETONATE at half pedal. Could hear it over the radio. Had to do 50 mph on the highway it was so bad. That was the last time I ran regular.

Mine has done this since day one, but only while towing. I have just the Hypertech "one-size-fits-all" program. Been content with the power output, so I never bothered upgrading to a real tune.

My solution to the issue was to run premium. Even though the fuel is slower burning, I felt a big increase in power. It must've been knocking so bad the computer retarded the timing enough to kill power output.

How I miss the days of just twisting a distributor and solving these little problems ... :nonod:

To my way of thinking the knock sensors should be able to control the pinging. If they cannot, then something must be wrong. Have you asked Justin at Blackbear for his opinion? Would have been my first step.

How do you intend to handle the Blackbear tuned ECM when you go back to dealer?

Jsdirt. did your truck ping before the generic tune? I would expect a generic tune to require higher octane fuel. The quick/cheap way to improve power has always started with advance the timing and change the fuel. With knock sensors it should be even easier to take that route.

Waste of money...

It actually helped a lot though.

To my way of thinking the knock sensors should be able to control the pinging. If they cannot, then something must be wrong. Have you asked Justin at Blackbear for his opinion? Would have been my first step.

How do you intend to handle the Blackbear tuned ECM when you go back to dealer?

I've heard on other posts that a faulty knock sensor may not cause a DTC, therefore my two hunches are bad knock sensor or severe carbon buildup.

I am not sure yet what I will do if I have to bring it to the dealer, it is my last resort.

Archived