5.3 vs 6.2

Since I have had my 6.2 truck in the shop so many times for the vibrations I am getting some real world experience with several 5.3 trucks.

I drove from Omaha to Minneapolis and back yesterday 700ish miles and got about 16.9mph Hand Calulated/ 17.5 DIC Empty at 77mph and on the way back about 17.5mpg 18.3 on the DIC with a 500lb load in the bed.

This truck has a 5.3 and 3.42s and is a 2015

My truck has a 6.2 6speed and 3.73s and is a 2014

At 75 mph I get right around 19mpg DIC and 18.2-18.5mpg hand calculated with the 6.2 I do use 91 vs 87. There is about a .40 $ premium per gallon.

The gearing and the power of the 6.2 is way better and the fuel economy on this run was worse than what I usually get with my 6.2.

I can't pull with this truck as it is a loaner from the dealer. I would be curious to see what a trailer would do with this configuration. I did get permission from the dealer to do this run and they said it wasn't a problem.

If I was to buy a new truck I wouldn't consider the 5.3 unless it was considerably cheaper. Or you never pull a trailer.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I have had my 6.2 truck in the shop so many times for the vibrations I am getting some real world experience with several 5.3 trucks.

I drove from Omaha to Minneapolis and back yesterday 700ish miles and got about 16.9mph Hand Calulated/ 17.5 DIC Empty at 77mph and on the way back about 17.5mpg 18.3 on the DIC with a 500lb load in the bed.

At 75 mph I get right around 19mpg DIC and 18.2-18.5mpg hand calculated with the 6.2 I do use 91 vs 87. There is about a .40 $ premium per gallon.

The gearing and the power of the 6.2 is way better and the fuel economy on this run was worse than what I usually get with my 6.2.

I can't pull with this truck as it is a loaner from the dealer. I would be curious to see what a trailer would do with this configuration. I did get permission from the dealer to do this run and they said it wasn't a problem.

If I was to buy a new truck I wouldn't consider the 5.3 unless it was considerably cheaper. Or you never pull a trailer.

Moderator can you please move this to general 2014 2015 K2 trucks area. I didn't mean to put it in the problems/ technical area.

I agree I'm not sure why I even try to pull my 22ft 5500 lb boat and trailer with my 5.3. It only has 383 ftlb of torque. The men back in the day driving 3/4 tons (90's) must have been really good drivers to pull off what they did with those weak motors. I get that the 6.2 has more power but the 5.3 has a ton of power for what its allowed to tow (1/2 ton). I tow my boat hours at a time and often catch my self 75-80 mph on accident. The 6.2 is only rated around 1000 more pounds. Sure I could pull a better hole shot with my boat attached with a 6.2 but I really don't care. If really cared about towing and wanted to tow a lot I sure as hell wouldn't get a 1500 with a 6.2. I would get a D-Max. The 6.2 is great for people who want a sporty truck. That's what it is. IMO it's not worth the money for a "towing upgrade". I would spend my money on a D-max. I bought mine for over 15K off sticker from 50K. If I got a 6.2 I would have lost a bunch of rebates and at that point I would have just spent more for a diesel. The 1500 suspension is too soft and the breaks suck for heavy loads. I wouldn't go over 7500Lbs with any 1500 IMO.

That's fine and dandy but the 6.2 is not offered with a RCSB...Otherwise I agree If I could I would!

RT

Gas mileage seems way off OP... I have had both engines in this platform, and there is a reason my 2nd one has a 5.3.. To each their own, I'm glad you like your 6.2..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good catch. Interstate running 75ish I get 22 or more. If I can slow myself down to 65 I'll get 24.

You don't buy the 6.2 to tow more than the 5.3. You buy the 6.6 to do that, and after owning at 2500 and 3500 NNBS I realized I had no reason to own one after I got rid of the 40' 5er.

You buy the 6.2 because it's fun, the same reason I traded a 6.0 GTO for a 6.2 Corvette.

Comparing gassers for towing always makes me chuckle.

You buy the 6.2 over the 5.3 to say you have the bigger motor, that's about it.

If you really need the torque, you buy a diesel.

Enough of these threads.

And yes, this is coming from a 6.2 owner.

The 6.2 is great for people who want a sporty truck. That's what it is. IMO it's not worth the money for a "towing upgrade".

You don't buy the 6.2 to tow more than the 5.3. You buy the 6.6 to do that,

You buy the 6.2 over the 5.3 to say you have the bigger motor, that's about it.

I'll disagree--at least if you're towing heavy stuff in the mountains. Yes, the 5.3 can get the job done, but it will spend a lot more time screaming the engine in 2nd gear, will be more likely to have heat related issues in the summer and will end up going very slowly up some hills.

That's not the end of the world and many users don't mind those things, especially if it's only something that they encounter a couple times a year. There's nothing wrong with that--and yes, the 5.3 will technically get the job done.

However, pretending there aren't very real advantages offered by the 6.2 for towing is not an accurate reflection of reality.

The 5.3 is a nice motor. I've had a 11,13, and 14 with the 5.3. The 6.2 in my 2015 is a whole different beast. Talk up the 5.3 all you want but in the end the 6.2 is way better.

I am not that old but I guess I am older than others on here. I have owned chevys with 350's and 454's and they towed what I needed them to. Fast forward to the present and these new engines (even the 6 banger) have so much more get up and go. Comparing the 6.2 to the 5.3 is no different than comparing the 5.3 to the 43, a waste of time. Your mpg is way off as well, I can easily get 20 mpg on the the interstate with my 5.3 3.42 gears.

You don't buy the 6.2 to tow more than the 5.3. You buy the 6.6 to do that, and after owning at 2500 and 3500 NNBS I realized I had no reason to own one after I got rid of the 40' 5er.

You buy the 6.2 because it's fun, the same reason I traded a 6.0 GTO for a 6.2 Corvette.

Exactly

Ryan

Archived