had a bad day, real bad with my 14 silverado 1500 crew lt

OK so here's my deal I picked up my 14 silverado crew lt 11 months age used at a dealer with about 19k on it. It had a 6" lift already installed I swapped out the wheels for some new ones and 35" tires. Since the day I've had it I have noticed I seemed to be losing oil as it was always low. I finally changed it so I knew it had the correct amount in it. It has seemed to be OK since then but did loose some again mind you I only drive this truck about 2 times a week. So here is the bad news I purchased a new compact tractor I had to drive 2-1/2 hrs to pick it up and took my old one with me as a trade. I was pulling a 16ft trailer dual axel. The new tractor weighed just under 4,000 lbs. My check engine light came on abt 45 min from home on way down. And my truck started to put out some smoke. I made it down and was on way back I had to climb 2 decent hills on way back the smoke was getting worse at times and truck just didn't feel right and was idling very rough also. By time I got about 10 min from second hill I got a message to turn off truck and had no oil pressure. I pulled over oil spewing everywhere under truck I added extra oil to get back on road and had to pull off again about 15 min from home at this point its really smoking when starting from a dead stop. Had to add oil again and its really dripping out from under truck. I made it back the entire undercarriage is covered in oil all the way up my tailgate also . I don't know what to think I'm sick over this I've had Chevy my whole life and never had issues. Has anybody run into this? Anyone's thoughts? Guess I'll by calling local dealer Monday to make apt to have it looked at. I still can't believe this happened.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I understand trying to get home, but it is one thing with just the truck. It is a whole another thing with a trailer behind you. I would have never stopped and keep adding oil to continue pulling the trailer, but I also would have been looking for the oil leak when it first came up. That truck has a 5yr / 100k mile warranty on it, you should have used it at the first sign of the oil leak coming up.

Are you asking has anyone ever had problems with an engine burning oil or even blowing up or what ever else is happening to your truck, then the answer is yes. What was more concerning about your story was continuing to drive your truck with oil spewing everywhere and smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Then finally your truck having to tell you to turn it off and then you keep going.

Is there no warranty and does chevy come with the gm assistance? Wow

edit already beat me to it. How would you expect the dealer to cover anything with all that happening? Shit breaks sometimes, continuing to drive was def not the right choice.

Why did you keep driving it? Check engine light plus smoke says stop to me. Hopefully just a loose oil filter or something. Sounds like it could be worse.

Why did you keep driving it? Check engine light plus smoke says stop to me. Hopefully just a loose oil filter or something. Sounds like it could be worse.

Are you asking has anyone ever had problems with an engine burning oil or even blowing up or what ever else is happening to your truck, then the answer is yes. What was more concerning about your story was continuing to drive your truck with oil spewing everywhere and smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Then finally your truck having to tell you to turn it off and then you keep going.

Is there no warranty and does chevy come with the gm assistance? Wow

edit already beat me to it. How would you expect the dealer to cover anything with all that happening? Shit breaks sometimes, continuing to drive was def not the right choice.

This

Too many possibilities to try and diagnose it over the internet. Loose oil filter, old gasket not removed when filter was changed, loose drain plug, valve over gasket(s), cracked block, hole in block, oil pump failure, just to name a few. What color was the smoke? shit, black, blue

Have I ever had an engine blow up? yes, more than once

Was it my fault? I take the fifth. :devil:

I know I should of stopped and it was a bad idea to keep going I just kept saying to myself I need to get home. I'm gonna look this morning but the oil is def leaking out somewhere near the pan I believe. I do believe this is a seperate issue from the original leak I thought I had. All I know is my undercarriage is covered in oil from front to back and I should of stopped but made it back but at what cost? After dealer looks at it I'll update the issue.

I know I should of stopped and it was a bad idea to keep going I just kept saying to myself I need to get home. I'm gonna look this morning but the oil is def leaking out somewhere near the pan I believe. I do believe this is a seperate issue from the original leak I thought I had. All I know is my undercarriage is covered in oil from front to back and I should of stopped but made it back but at what cost? After dealer looks at it I'll update the issue.

Do yourself a favor and have it towed to the dealer.

My gosh, why in the world did you keep on driving???? Your truck is under a 5 year/ 100k mile warranty. There is a good chance you screwed yourself when it comes to the warranty because you failed to obey the check engine light and pull over and turn it off. Good luck

Check engine light came on cause oil pressure dropped due to it being low which is why I added oil so I could keep going once I did that it went away. Don't think I screwed myself out of anything though. Should of I stopped? Yes probably but I wasn't far from home and I made it. I will get it to dealer and have it fixed under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You ran the truck out of oil and are surprised it failed? Quoting from the GM warranty: "lack of maintenance and abuse could void warranty." I think ignoring several warnings from the vehicle, not to mention smoke and other obvious signs of a massive oil leak, meets the definition of abuse, and I'm sure GM will agree. Good luck with that warranty claim.

All I can say is wow... Everything mechanical can and eventually will have issues that need to be either maintained or serviced. I hope after this is resolved you will always listen the the warnings the vehicle gives you and relay them to the mechanic immediately.Loss of oils, smoke and SE lights are big issues that need to be resolved and driving needs to stop immediately.

6 inch lift?? What else was done to the truck. She may have looked pretty when you got her but what did the guy before you do to her. Always a risk when buying used IMHO. Good luck bud!

Sent from Windows Phone.

As others have stated you should have immediately stopped and had it towed. Since the dealer sold you the truck with the lift and whatever else it has, I think they will cover you.

I've worked at dealers before and I've seen warranty cover some amazing things. When they say kindness goes a long ways... It really does. Make sure you word your 'story' correctly and they don't need to know every single detail. Be courteous and respectful and I'm sure they will take care of you.

Archived