OBX and Maximizer Long Tube Headers -- Anyone?

I've been looking into buying a set of headers for my 5.3 and I ran across these two, they look to be the same but with different finishes, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Please keep the comments directly on these headers, not the fact that they are ebay headers and blah blah blah :lol: .

From their description they seem decent and for the price they seem to be a good buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Stainless-Header-Exhaust-FITS-14-15-Silverado-Sierra-1500-6-2L-LT1-L86-/131601395994?fits=Year%3A2015%7CModel%3ASilverado+1500&hash=item1ea40df11a:g:8OsAAOSwLqFV8zTf&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Stainless-Header-Exhaust-FITS-14-15-Silverado-Sierra-1500-6-2L-LT1-L86-/131601395994?fits=Year%3A2015%7CModel%3ASilverado+1500&hash=item1ea40df11a:g:8OsAAOSwLqFV8zTf&vxp=mtr

Thoughts?

I've seen these before and I am unsure of the quality. This is the second set of headers for the late model that are SS and seem to be very underpriced. My guess until proven differently, is that these are made in China of an inferior grade of SS. Every one else is in the $1200 range and is made from 304SS with all construction being made in the USA.

PS: the application is for 6.2L motors only. The connection to the cat back system is different on the 5.3L motors.

I've seen these before and I am unsure of the quality. This is the second set of headers for the late model that are SS and seem to be very underpriced. My guess until proven differently, is that these are made in China of an inferior grade of SS. Every one else is in the $1200 range and is made from 304SS with all construction being made in the USA.

PS: the application is for 6.2L motors only. The connection to the cat back system is different on the 5.3L motors.

They also claim 304SS as their material of choice, I wonder how well they are built.

Good catch on the connection difference between the connection to the cat back, I didn't realize that they were different! Thanks!

Any header (even shortys) are going to give some type of increase. Headers use to be called "tuned" or "equal length" years ago to denote more performance. My issue would be putting a set of headers that will easily come loose, leak or rust on my new truck. I did not have a problem paying a grand for headers, but they better be of the best quality. Today that means SS, tuned and easy fit. Kook's is my choice and I am hearing good things about ARH.

I just installed my forth set of AR Headers on the new truck. The fit was perfect. I did re-position the positive cable to the starter and a negative cable to the engine block next to the starter to give them a bit more clearance. Both cables were also covered with DEI reflective hi temp wrap close the header tubing. The OBX headers are nearly exact copies of ARH from China. OBX may be OK, but I prefer to purchase an American made product.

The last set of ARH were on a 2008 Sierra Denali for six years. Never a leak or problem. It was a one and done project. Took them off when the truck was traded and sold them to a fellow member on this site for $1000. You won't be able to do that with a Chinese knockoff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Save the Coin and Get some Made in the USA headers because Donald Trump will shut down chinese imported crap in about 9 months! :crackup:

RT

I never understood getting cheap headers. Even pacesetter is garbage IMO

Save up and get quality. Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works are top notch products.

Stop being cheap on a $40K + truck....

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

• 2 years later...

Lots of folks running ebay headers on their 6.4 chargers with great results. I’ve got a set in my garage for when mine gets out of the body shop. Ran a set on my 350z also. Had to have the bolt holes re-drilled but otherwise they fit great with no leaks. The headers were $150 and re-drilling the holes was $50. Helluva savings from the $1500 kooks wanted for theirs. I’ll be getting a set for my truck when I’m ready. 

On 8/4/2018 at 10:49 PM, Dozer466 said:

I think the Texas speed headers and ORY are about the same price. It’s a good product that’s made here in Texas. Great customer service as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texas speed headers are made over seas.  

They are 304 SS like many quality brands like Kooks or ARH. What matters though is tube thickness. If a Kooks measure out to 0.125" thickness, a comparative OBX may be 0.100" thickness for example. This will contribute vastly to performance, longevity and finish quality of the product. Thicker tubing is more resistant to corrosion and thermal break down. But ask do you need a set of $2500 headers on your pick up, or will 800 set fit the bill? 

My experience is you can get good quality from China, however you will pay for it, sometimes close to US prices on certain items. If the price seems dirt cheap, less than 1/4 the price of a top brand, you are probably going to get child-made sweatshop garbage.