Remote Start Activation

New member here. Just got back into a Chevy truck for the first time in 8 years.

I bought a 2015 Chevy 2500HD LT model and want to know what I need to do to enable the remote start? Do I just need the new FOB or will I need to take it to a dealer to have the programming changed?

Thanks...

Have the dealer install it as they will have to do the programming. On HD trucks its a new hood latch and two key fobs, they come in the kit, and an authorization code. The code is phoned into GM and GM releases the appropriate calibrations for the dealer to reprogram the truck for the remote start to work. Kit part # is 22997090, $310 installed.

Also, accessory installed remote start does not work with the OnStar app. Only vehicles built with remote start are able to use the app for remote start. OnStar goes off of the factory build sheet for the truck so they don't show or know of any changes.

• Like 1

Have the dealer install it as they will have to do the programming. On HD trucks its a new hood latch and two key fobs, they come in the kit, and an authorization code. The code is phoned into GM and GM releases the appropriate calibrations for the dealer to reprogram the truck for the remote start to work. Kit part # is 22997090, $310 installed.

Also, accessory installed remote start does not work with the OnStar app. Only vehicles built with remote start are able to use the app for remote start. OnStar goes off of the factory build sheet for the truck so they don't show or know of any changes.

Just learned another tib bit about HD trucks...

Sierra Boy

Dealer does programming for fob start.

It's the onstar app to start with a phone that is added by calling onstar.

(I don't know if the phone app requires factory remote start install or not)

Thanks for the help. I went to the dealer today and they quoted $330 out the door installed so I went ahead and plopped down the cash.

Now I just need steps for the wife and kids, custom seat covers, and a spray in liner.... This is an expensive hobby.

I was sure I read somewhere that you can call onstar after the install and they can get it setup if it's a gm remote start system.

So there is no need for a dealer visit?

From GM:

#PI0360E: Accessory Remote Start Does Not Work with OnStar® RemoteLink™ Phone Application - (Jan 12, 2015)

Subject:

Accessory Remote Start Does Not Work with OnStar RemoteLink™ Phone Application

Models: 2015 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks Excluding Vehicles Equipped with Remote Ready Start Package (RPO AP8) Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that the accessory remote start will not work with the OnStar® RemoteLink phone application.

The vehicle information contained in the OnStar database does not reflect information added to a vehicle after it was produced at the assembly plant.

Recommendation/Instructions

Do not replace any components of the remote start accessory or the BCM. The OnStar Remote Start phone app does not function with the GM Accessory Remote Start.

Thanks for the help. I went to the dealer today and they quoted $330 out the door installed so I went ahead and plopped down the cash.

Now I just need steps for the wife and kids, custom seat covers, and a spray in liner.... This is an expensive hobby.

You ain't kidding!!! I need a bedliner of some sorts as well. And towing mirrors. I just added a tonneau cover and with all the hitches I've purchased over the past year for various things, YIKES!

• 11 months later...

An update. Before adding the factory remote starter I contacted onstar and spoke with their app tech help. Two different techs both assured me that indeed onstar could be used for remote starting. My LT 1500 is basically one step above a work truck.

I had the kit # 22997089 installed on a Thursday called Onstar on Friday and today Monday I now have the ability to remote start my truck using the My Chevrolet app.

After following many forums but after Onstar giving me the thumbs up I did it and am so glad I did.

I've had the dealer do this w/ my current truck & the '11 before I picked them up.

A side note on the hood latch. Bro' was telling me that the hood has to be securely latched for the remote start to work. So for those that hang the block heater cord out between the hood & grille, it'll affect your remote start.

I have been able to remote start my 2015 2500 LT via the Onstar app, and now the MyChevrolet app, on my iPhone since day one. I called the wife when I was 3 states away on business and told her I was going to use the app to start the pickup and let me know if it works. Sure did.

• 2 years later...

Very helpful information. Here's my experience: I added remote start to my 2019 3500 WT on December 13, 2018. It works flawlessly with the key fob. Unfortunately, I paid too much. About $240  for the part at Huffines Chevrolet in Plano and $200 for installation. I just now got around to calling OnStar to get it activated on my Chevrolet app, they have to pass the issue on to the IT department, they're supposed to call me someone this week.