Anyone have or installed auto running boards ?

You can only get the factory ones through GM (I assume you mean the new ones that move rearward to give you a step to reach into the bed). I hear they are not a simple plug-and-play install (the wiring may or may not be on your truck and you probably need the BCM flashed).

As for Amps, just do a search in the forums and you will find a bunch of threads about them. I installed them with the p-n-p and OBDII pass-thru harnesses and they really were simple. The entire process took me about 3 hours including opening the boxes and cleaning up afterward.

ADDED IN EDIT:

I just noticed your sig says you have a 2016 Denali. You still need to buy the GM ones through the dealer but your truck may already have the wiring in place. I don't know about the BCM flash though.

You are going to have to wait a while, first off production constraints, all these parts are going to build new trucks since the refresh. I ordered my 2016 Sierra Denali with the Tri Mode power articulating steps. It requires a dash switch, wiring harness in dash for the switch (possible its already there), BCM software update, then power (including fuse at the distribution panel) & ground, wiring harness under the truck, and of course the boards & frame brackets which all these parts will be impossible to get for the next few months again due to production constraints, my build is looking like 10-12 weeks.

Even if you could get all the parts, the dealership may not want to help you with the coding to make it work (lets face it the techs don't get paid to do custom work esp on brand new parts, I was a Mercedes Benz tech for 6 years, hated every day of it).

I am waiting for better grill options, I can't stand the new Denali grill, it's so ugly what was GM thinking! Might have to get a all-terrain grill, or wait for the 2500 grills in 2017

It's possible GM may release a bolt on upgrade kit later down the road, these are the best designed running boards I have seen to date for any brand.

good luck your going to need it.

Camcamaro1991

Get amps. I love mine. easy to install and they tuck under the truck nicely. The GM ones look good but, they hang down alot more and are alot more flashy and noticeable.

The whole reason I wanted power running boards was to not see them?

Get amps. I love mine. easy to install and they tuck under the truck nicely. The GM ones look good but, they hang down alot more and are alot more flashy and noticeable.

The whole reason I wanted power running boards was to not see them?

just want to add some more notes/input, The new GM Tri mode steps are higher than the frame and very quite compared to folding style (yes you see the chrome even when tucked), even if they fail they the same level tucked as they are out, if the AMPs fail which they do I had a set on my 2005 they hang low (never seen them fail in the up position). Additionally I have seen a bunch of Ford F-150's do the same, similar design to AMPs, weak window motors are a flawed designed, even the nicer GMT 900 series Caddie & Yukon power running boards failed but the motor is huge compared to AMPS/BESTTOP, I am not a fan of the fold down running boards.

however AMP's, or Best top power running boards look to be your best bet for powered boards, or just get some standard non powered running boards, never had a issues on my 2013 Sierra Denali with non powered, maintenance free lol

I had them on a Pickup I kept for 3 years and they never failed. I work in the agriculture industry, and they stayed caked in mud constantly. I submerged them in water many times and they never failed. I have heard of people having trouble with them in the North with Ice, but in the south they are awesome.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2e67810bf315f3b1aa283c592075a184.jpg

I have the AMP Research running boards and I love them. I live in Minnesota and don't have a garage so I was worried about having issues. But I put on mud flaps and they do have a five year warranty. So if the fail they will get fixed. Also for warranty purpose I would pay to have them installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just want to add some more notes/input, The new GM Tri mode steps are higher than the frame and very quite compared to folding style (yes you see the chrome even when tucked), even if they fail they the same level tucked as they are out, if the AMPs fail which they do I had a set on my 2005 they hang low (never seen them fail in the up position). Additionally I have seen a bunch of Ford F-150's do the same, similar design to AMPs, weak window motors are a flawed designed, even the nicer GMT 900 series Caddie & Yukon power running boards failed but the motor is huge compared to AMPS/BESTTOP, I am not a fan of the fold down running boards.

however AMP's, or Best top power running boards look to be your best bet for powered boards, or just get some standard non powered running boards, never had a issues on my 2013 Sierra Denali with non powered, maintenance free lol

The factory ford steps are amps. They have a licensing agreement.

The factory ford steps are amps. They have a licensing agreement.

oh I know they are (I put similar as a CYA remark), I have seen them in person, and I have seen guys driving down the highway with them locked in the down position. On a stock ride height truck they are just too low for my personal preference. My truck was leveled with 33.4" tires and it was just about right, I am only 5'8 if you guys need them in stock ride height trucks you guys must be really short, AMP didn't include a off switch for those ICE or mud days on my set, would have been nice to switch them off.

I had nothing but problems with them, replaced several motors and gave up and pulled them off, never got them muddy or icy, they only got wet from rain or car wash. The window motors are junk IMO, I think its just luck you guys haven't had issues. Would liked to see a torque bar to evenly pull up both sides at the same rate, one side is always up before the other, nor did they include stainless steel bolts/nuts, rusted fast. My brother works for Fastenal replaced everything with Stainless steel fasteners. I guess I got lemons.

When I purchased my AMP steps, the truck accessories shop manager showed me his Ford Platinum steps and said that the new "Plug & Play" version for 2014+ GM trucks that were just released had some upgrades from his. They used a newer type motor that is quicker and more durable than his, the steps themselves were more sturdy, they included LED lighting and, of course the ODBII P&P plug making installation easier. I called AMP to confirm his claims which they did and I had them installed. In comparison to his Ford Platinum steps, they did operate faster, but that's all I could confirm by looking at them (I did not crawl under his truck and compare the motors or anything).

In 2 ½ years of use, I had to tighten them once to their torque spec (most likely not torqued by installation shop) and AMP had a run of bad LEDs so I had 3 of 4 fail. They sent out a replacement 4 pack and all was fine (the LEDs are a bit "purple", so many people change them for whiter LEDs anyway). They do operate independently (drivers side opens when a drivers side door opens; same on passenger side), but not both together. Also, a couple of times when driver and passenger doors were opened at the same time, one or the other did not extend. Aside from that, they work great. And the truck accessories shop manager told me that he stopped selling Bestop Powerboards because they had too many service calls on them (too many problems). By comparison, he said the AMPs were more reliable. Now, we are talking about late 2013 and things do change rapidly in this business...

I've noticed that when a door is opened, the LEDs on the opposite side of the truck also light even though the board is not deployed. Is this normal for everyone else?

Yes, my LEDs on both sides light no matter which door is opened.

Archived