Single Turbo system/kit?

Anyone has done a single turbo?? I am looking for maybe a 67mm turbo for my 5.3, At most 420 to the rear wheel is good enough for me. I do not want to burn the tranny.

Anyone has done up one?? How is the results? Who designed and installed it? How much would it cost in Canadian peso's?

I am around edmonton area im alberta, local shop is needed.

I want low end torque, maybe turno kick in around 2k rpm, no need for high end

In all honesty, look for another form of power adder. Turbo systems have more parts and are harder to tune, on top of that there is always a trade off on a single turbo application. Your either going to build boost down low and choke out on the top end or you'll bee good up top but have lag when it starts to spool. This is why twin set ups were created. If all you want is low RPM tq I would look into either a roots or twin screw style supercharger, a lot less parts, easier to tune, and instant tq

A single turbo has some advantages. Sized properly, it will give good throttle response and excellent fuel economy. If general improvement in power is the goal, it's not a bad choice, IMO.

Here's one.

http://shop.sinisterracecraft.com/2014-Siliverado-sierra-Turbo-kits-trb-2014.htm

Edited by spurshot

A single turbo has some advantages. Sized properly, it will give good throttle response and excellent fuel economy. If general improvement in power is the goal, it's not a bad choice, IMO.

Here's one.

http://shop.sinisterracecraft.com/2014-Siliverado-sierra-Turbo-kits-trb-2014.htm

Looks nice in pictures but the turbo seems to be in the way of my AC line, and they cant even spell Silverado right lol. This is a good start

I ran a turbo engine with 30 psi as a dd many years ago. No inter cooler, but with water/acetone injection. The water/acetone injection cooled the intake charge as well as providing an anti-knock agent.

Edited by spurshot

I ran a turbo engine with 30 psi as a dd many years ago. No inter cooler, but with water/acetone injection. The water/acetone injection cooled the intake charge as well as providing an anti-knock agent.

I am thinking a mild 6 psi at most, do I still need it? I want as minimal foot print as possible. I also see that intercooler reduces the boost pressure slightly as the turbo needs to provide pressure for a larger area, more lag, is it true??

I want short pipe to turbo and the back to intake in the shortest route

I am thinking a mild 6 psi at most, do I still need it? I want as minimal foot print as possible. I also see that intercooler reduces the boost pressure slightly as the turbo needs to provide pressure for a larger area, more lag, is it true??

I want short pipe to turbo and the back to intake in the shortest route

A single turbo is cheaper initially, cheaper to repair, less complex,less parts count, etc.. The downside is that a single has to be larger than two turbos for a given boost on a given engine. This means it has a larger turbine and will take slightly longer to spin up to provide boost. This lag is largely offset by the fact that you're using all 8 cylinder's exhaust to drive a single turbo. I'm a proponent of single turbos for mild applications.

Intercoolers don't lower the charge pressure at the intake valve because of the expanded area in the intercooler. They lower pressure because the air is cooled and becomes more dense. That's a good thing in a couple ways.

Certainly a milder boost can get away without an intercooler. I'd use water injection in place of the intercooler. This talk is leaning toward a one-off installation.

But the best way to go for you would be to use a kit that is fully set up, tested and you simply install it.

Edited by spurshot

If you dont care about top end power and all you want is low end, why are you even thinking about a turbo? Sounds like you want a supercharger. Makes even more sense if your trying to avoid an intercooler. Look at the edlebrock eforce. A lot cheaper and more practical to install. SPC performance is in Sherwood Park, the specialize in GM truck mods. Spcperformance.ca

Edited by L86 All Terrain

If you dont care about top end power and all you want is low end, why are you even thinking about a turbo? Sounds like you want a supercharger. Makes even more sense if your trying to avoid an intercooler. Look at the edlebrock eforce. A lot cheaper and more practical to install. SPC performance is in Sherwood Park, the specialize in GM truck mods. Spcperformance.ca

Did you get it done? How much is the kit Canadian?

Honestly its all about what you want

I would recommend a procharger.

Turbos will never have the low end of a supercharger but neither has the brutal punch of nitrous.... Its all om what you think is more important.

I would generally stick to superchargers as they are more reliable.

Whipple and magnacharger also have very good products.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

Honestly its all about what you want

I would recommend a procharger.

Turbos will never have the low end of a supercharger but neither has the brutal punch of nitrous.... Its all om what you think is more important.

I would generally stick to superchargers as they are more reliable.

Whipple and magnacharger also have very good products.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

Superchargers are too pricey though, i want everything done and installed under $10k CAD