2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

I took my truck in to my local dealer on Monday, 12/5. They told me the previous week that the part was there but they didn't have any service appointments, so Monday it was.

I picked it up Monday afternoon. The steering is back to the way it was originally, except for a slight pull to the right. I'm going to have them do an alignment again to fix that. I only drove the truck 50 miles before I had to leave on Tuesday for a 2 week work trip, so the truck will sit until then.

They replaced the steering box(with a "newly redesigned" box I was told) and the pitman arm. Hopefully I won't have any further issues, but I'm not confident. Time will tell.

One of the service managers at the dealership told me he had never heard of this problem. I mentioned this site and the numerous people that have had the issue, and he exclaimed "don't believe all the lies you read on the internet". When I asked him why there would be 5 TSBs for this issue if it's all made up he responded with "that doesn't mean there's a widespread problem"... Luckily the service manager I was working with was not a dismissive jackass like this guy and actually listened and researched it a bit.

This is the issue, they won't take responsibility for it. The problem with dealerships, they are only in it for the money nowadays, and we can't get anything accomplished. What happened to the customer was always right? Now we always have to find proof and when we do it by using technology and communicate with other people that have the same vehicles, its always a "LIE".

Now I know we have all been to the dealers and had this documented in GM's system, so how do they not see this as a trend? Is no one watching the system to see if more than one person has this issue? I mean come on they have a data base to look things up, they are all connected to the same corporate network.

I would like a GM Rep that I know is on the forums to comment on this topic. I know they are reading this and not responding. They respond to most of the other topics on this forum but when it comes to the safety of "us" the driver and our families I see nothing. This is not some BS problem, this is "STEERING", something that is needed to be safe. Like I said in other posts this is something that could cause a fatality if not taken seriously. I will not put my son back into this death trap. Some people may say that I'm over reacting with the "death trap" comment, but this is a +60K truck that isn't small and could cause a lot of damage if something completely fails. And yes I believe that could happen since the most current dealer just told me that my pit man arm is really loose, but can do nothing about it unless I pay them, or I can take the truck back. So it seems that I can just drive around with something that could fail at anytime.

Edited by lmdnmmw

I took my truck in to my local dealer on Monday, 12/5. They told me the previous week that the part was there but they didn't have any service appointments, so Monday it was.

I picked it up Monday afternoon. The steering is back to the way it was originally, except for a slight pull to the right. I'm going to have them do an alignment again to fix that. I only drove the truck 50 miles before I had to leave on Tuesday for a 2 week work trip, so the truck will sit until then.

They replaced the steering box(with a "newly redesigned" box I was told) and the pitman arm. Hopefully I won't have any further issues, but I'm not confident. Time will tell.

One of the service managers at the dealership told me he had never heard of this problem. I mentioned this site and the numerous people that have had the issue, and he exclaimed "don't believe all the lies you read on the internet". When I asked him why there would be 5 TSBs for this issue if it's all made up he responded with "that doesn't mean there's a widespread problem"... Luckily the service manager I was working with was not a dismissive jackass like this guy and actually listened and researched it a bit.

When you say service manager do you mean "service writer"? Some of the "writers" I've dealt w/ over the years would struggle when asked how many tires on a Chevette.

When you say service manager do you mean "service writer"? Some of the "writers" I've dealt w/ over the years would struggle when asked how many tires on a Chevette.

In all fairness, most Chevettes didn't have many tires because they usually fell off. Those were some of the biggest POS out there at that time, and there were some BAD vehicles during the '80s.

• Like 1

Anyone eles with a 2016 having the same problem or is there just a few "bad apples" out there. I posted the message about the power steering noise on a test drive with a 2016 HD I may be buying. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning wanting to buy the truck but I'm a little worried about the steering.

I have the exact same issue. I purchased a 2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ turbo diesel in April. . After putting on about 5500 miles the truck started having steering wheel play really bad. The stealer ship said it was a loose steering pin box issue. Its been about a month now after putting on another couple hundred miles having the same issue again. This is very frustrating you would think a 68,000 truck wouldn't have these problems!

You can add another 1 to the list. My brother was asking me about the steering in my truck. I asked him if it was sloppy & he said yes. The S-I-L has been driving it mostly & said she really had to be mindful of the steering. I said to them did they have to "chase" the steering & he said yes.

Are the TSBs use the same designation on both sides of the border? Just don't want him to start talking about a # that doesn't exist over here.

I told him about the thread & the issue. His is a 2500 CC w/ the Dmax. Built in Flint. Checking the build out & start up chart & Flint is the sole source for 2500 & 3500 CCs. The double cabs come out of Ft. Wayne. I think all the folks that responded to the plant code have said Flint, but I doubt the assembly plant has any effect on this issue.

You can add another 1 to the list. My brother was asking me about the steering in my truck. I asked him if it was sloppy & he said yes. The S-I-L has been driving it mostly & said she really had to be mindful of the steering. I said to them did they have to "chase" the steering & he said yes.

Are the TSBs use the same designation on both sides of the border? Just don't want him to start talking about a # that doesn't exist over here.

I told him about the thread & the issue. His is a 2500 CC w/ the Dmax. Built in Flint. Checking the build out & start up chart & Flint is the sole source for 2500 & 3500 CCs. The

double cabs come out of Ft. Wayne. I think all the folks that responded to the plant code have said Flint, but I doubt the assembly plant has any effect on this issue.

TSB is a TSB isn't it?

TSB is a TSB isn't it?

Things vary across the border between the US & Canada. I've gone into the local dealership w/ a PN for a GMPD/AC Delco "chemical" as seen in the US. They look up the PN & draw a blank. Turns out due the packaging differences (us using metric) the PNs reflect this up here. Lots of instances in the owner's manual over the years where 2 PNs are listed for the same fluid.

There is no difference in this case. GM didn't build a special steering box for Canadian trucks. My vehicle was covered by the "D" TSB. If your brother has issues with his vehicle, affected by the TSB, he should have it repaired. Read the TSB.

Good Morning Everyone,

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should proceeded with my issue? Anything would help. I feel like I'm in a stalemate with GM.

I have multiple posts on this topic.

I have received a call from GM about my BBB file but that was Thursday of last week, and I have heard nothing since. I unfortunately have to drive this truck 92 miles a day back and forth to work, the mileage keeps increasing which I fear could be another reason they won't fix it.

There is no difference in this case. GM didn't build a special steering box for Canadian trucks. My vehicle was covered by the "D" TSB. If your brother has issues with his vehicle, affected by the TSB, he should have it repaired. Read the TSB.

I know they wouldn't be making a separate part for Canada, but we get our notices from GM of Canada's Service Dep't, in Oshawa, not GM Corp in Detroit.

And yes he is taking steps to getting it fixed.

Hey Nick,

I was able to file a BBB complaint. At this point I told them that I would like to get it fixed and not a new truck. If this problem can't be rectified do I have no other choice then to take a new truck? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, and maybe you can't answer them but you are much further along in the process then me, and you are also in MD.

I received a call from someone at GM in a new department. I can't remember the department name, but how is your process so far?

Also have you been in contact with the MD Attorney General? I was told by my legal counsel to contact them and make a case. Most cases will be a lemon law case but they will have more of a back bone to go after GM Corporate.

BBB complaint is likely going to be better then the state as GM doesn't have to respond to the state or the letters. I sent 3 letters and got no response.

GM has settled with me And the BBB and they have agreed to replace my 16 with a 17 2500 as a option to option transaction and i just have to pay for any features my current did not have.

I am currently in a rental. The field rep is Blowing a rod over paying for it so He is sending a GM engineer to go look at my truck and quote "Fix" My vehicle so i can drive it till my new truck gets here. Dealership is Pissed at the rep and has requested i be kept in rental till new truck arrives. I tell ya it never ceases to amaze me with GM.

BBB complaint is likely going to be better then the state as GM doesn't have to respond to the state or the letters. I sent 3 letters and got no response.

GM has settled with me And the BBB and they have agreed to replace my 16 with a 17 2500 as a option to option transaction and i just have to pay for any features my current did not have.

I am currently in a rental. The field rep is Blowing a rod over paying for it so He is sending a GM engineer to go look at my truck and quote "Fix" My vehicle so i can drive it till my new truck gets here. Dealership is Pissed at the rep and has requested i be kept in rental till new truck arrives. I tell ya it never ceases to amaze me with GM.

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting to see if GM will do anything about this since I currently have the modification done to my truck. I was hesitate to take them off since my dealer was the one that put them on. I didn't want them to come back and say since I took them off I had again modified the vehicle. But as everyone can see this would have nothing to do with it since unmodified trucks are having the same issue. It's now just a blame game.

What was your turn around time when it came to getting a call from the GM department that handles the BBB cases and your resolution. Like I said in my previous post, they called me last Thursday asking me to explain my issue and they will investigate and call back. I haven't heard anything yet.

PS. I was able to get the shakes to go away about 85% by adding something. "modification" If I didn't I was going to be sick every time I drove to work. So I don't know if that will also hinder me with my resolution.

• Like 1

Well im not sure what to think of the fix they performed on my truck. They had it for 5 days, got it back and the feeling of the wheel is terrible. They delayed the delivery of my truck which caused us to miss a day of our vacation but have yet to get back to the dealer. The feeling of the wheel is like a slinky that wants to work sometime and others it feels like its going to let go and off I go over a cliff. The steering wheel has become way off center now too...about 1k miles since the shop visit. I pull a trailer for work and this is the most uncomfortable feeling I have ever experienced driving a truck....time will tell i guess.