Duratrac tire pressure?

Knightfall

Just got new P275/60/20 and I'm curious as to what pressure you guys recommend running; the place I got them at set the pressure at 37 psi. Goodyear's website listed a max pressure at 51 psi and I like running higher pressure to save on gas, so I'm thinking maybe upping that to around 40 or so psi. Opinions?

My truck came with duratracs and they were set to 38. I run them right at 40, the DIC shows between 39 and 40 all the time on them.

32 or 33

I used to run lower pressures like that, but it just makes the tires (especially the fronts or the rears when you haul or tow) look low on air. I honestly wouldn't run lower than 35 or even no lower than the high 30s on a full size truck unless you're driving off-road or in the snow or ice. But, only pavement (dry or wet) I wouldn't go below 35. I know lower the pressure the better grip and rides better, but it just makes tires look low on a truck. At around 32 it almost looks like the outer sidewall was acting as part of the tread on the contact patch, especially hitting bumps.

275/70/18 E-Rated : I inflate to 40psi(cold) which translates into approx 44psi(hot). I carry a considerable amount of weight full time. I've run this pressure for the last 20,xxx miles with even wear. Noise has definitely increased. I definitely prefer the higher PSI , truck handles better. At the lower psi the front tires/steering feels "squishy". I run 30psi(cold) which translates to 34psi (hot) on weekends , since I'm on/off the beach multiple times a day and don't like the driving characteristics as much. Great tire all around though, super happy with mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got new P275/60/20 and I'm curious as to what pressure you guys recommend running; the place I got them at set the pressure at 37 psi. Goodyear's website listed a max pressure at 51 psi and I like running higher pressure to save on gas, so I'm thinking maybe upping that to around 40 or so psi. Opinions?

While the idea of running higher pressures to save gas seems logical due to less tire flex, it can have the reverse affect. Too "hard" of a tire can cause some "wheel hop" on bumpy roads and lead to increased micro managing by the traction control electronics and actually cause decreased fuel economy. And then there is decreased safety in terms of reduction in braking effectiveness and such. Tires are designed to work in compliment with suspension to absorb road shock. By stiffening up the tire, more of it is transmitted to suspension components that can lead to increased wear on them. Too high of tire pressure for the loading will cause less actual tread surface on the road and affect handling and safety. Too bad that the tire folks don't supply loading/pressure charts for auto/pickup tires like the do for their commercial heavy truck tire offerings.

Even on E rated tires on my 2015 2500, I typically only run about 50-55 psi in them when empty or light loaded as opposed to the 60 front 70 rear OEM recommended inflation. Their inflation recommendation is for a maxed out gross vehicle weight. By running the lower pressures when empty, I get much better handling, a improved ride, very good tire wear, and a slight up tick in fuel economy. 2500 6.0L are gas hogs right out of the gate, but I have pulled off an average 14 mpg for the lifetime of the pickup and usually 17-18 mpg on road trips. Almost into 1500 mpg territory. Only 1 mpg less than my previous 1500 averages.

Archived